Windshield Antenna?

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Over in WF, a new JL owner is having to replace his cracked windshield.

He is insisting that some JL's come with an antenna imbedded into the glass. Have any of you heard of this? If true, what is it for? The AM/FM antenna is on the passenger side front fender, and the satellite (GPS, Sirius) antenna is up in the speaker bar, no?

I haven't seen a vehicle with an antenna imbedded into the windshield since the 1970's GM vehicles.
Sponsored

Brock041

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Over in WF, a new JL owner is having to replace his cracked windshield.

He is insisting that some JL's come with an antenna imbedded into the glass. Have any of you heard of this? If true, what is it for? The AM/FM antenna is on the passenger side front fender, and the satellite (GPS, Sirius) antenna is up in the speaker bar, no?

I haven't seen a vehicle with an antenna imbedded into the windshield since the 1970's GM vehicles.

I just got a replacement windshield and it has something embedded on passenger top with a plug in! I don’t know what it is. I’ll post a pic

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
It’s certainly not the antenna. I am unaware of any imbedded wiring on JLs. There is acoustic glass, but that’s not a plug-in.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Brock041

No question about it, they installed the WRONG windshield on your JL. Get them to swap it out for the correct windshield.

Look at the labeling on the driver's side - lower windshield. Should say as the pic below:

JLacoustical glass.JPG

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
We're waiting on a new windshield after catching a rock. After three weeks the tech who we've been using for years shows up with a windshield with the imbedded antenna. He said that is what he was sent. I tell him that is not the correct windshield. He does some checking and says the antenna was for a "diversity" radio. Anybody got a clue about that? We measured the replacement and it was definitely for a JL. Anyway, I rejected the replacement. Correct on is coming in about two weeks.

Sponsored

Brock041

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@Brock041

No question about it, they installed the WRONG windshield on your JL. Get them to swap it out for the correct windshield.

Look at the labeling on the driver's side - lower windshield. Should say as the pic below:

JLacoustical glass.JPG
Not being rude here bc this is my first jeep and there is a much I can learn so i wont get into a pissing match but anyone that orders a new windshield from mopar will find out these 2 facts
1)they ask you the vin bc there are 2 diffrent windshield. 1 with antenna and 1 with out. Both acoustic(how do I know??? They have both in stock for me to look at with my own eyes! And they used my vin to order:)

2)the JL FOR A FACT comes with antenna embedded as a option bc there are 2 winshield part numbers!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: JC7

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Export maybe? But usually we don’t have access to export parts very easily.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Brock041

Not to be rude, but to repeat, you have the WRONG windshield installed in your JLU. You don't want to believe it then don't. Not my Rubi so I could give a chitt.

Did you think to look at the part number on the windshield before you let them pull the damaged window? Daaaah..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Brock041

This is not our first rodeo so to speak on this forum in regard to the JL windshield and the replacement of same. Do a forum search using the words Acoustic, Windshield

You will see some 5 pages of posts talking windshield. Many on this forum have had issues trying to get the correct windshield which you do not have. Sure the one they installed fits your JLU, but it is not the right windshield.

I know you do not want to accept this fact. My last post on your wrong windshield dilemma. Good Luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WaltA

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
OK then what exact is the windshield antenna used for?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I guess the better answer is - it shouldn’t be there on a 2018 JL. I have every option available to the Sahara that could involve this and there isn’t anything built into my windshield.

Perhaps this is a part for a future JL option?

13E0E98D-9129-4258-AE06-2785F389BA48.jpeg

758826DA-2C33-4FAD-A570-D5A5CBE2DF31.jpeg

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I guess the better answer is - it shouldn’t be there on a 2018 JL. I have every option available to the Sahara that could involve this and there isn’t anything built into my windshield.

Perhaps this is a part for a future JL option?
Add it to the 2019 model year thread! No more buying stubbies! Though honestly, I'd rather have the cheaper to replace antenna-less windshield and a regular antenna. Maybe that's just me.

@Brock041, maybe you could put all this to rest by showing us how the antenna is connected to the radio. If you're right, then there must be a clear connection point; all I saw in the pictures was antenna in the glass and a bare connector. Am I missing something?

Not trying to bring your mighty internet fury down on me, but until I can understand how it connects [when this isn't listed as an option on ANY current Wrangler], I'm with @Rhinebeck01 on this one. Seems like a windshield that fits, but isn't "right."

Also, couldn't tell from the tenor of your post, but they are different part numbers: P68291705AB =/= P68293198AC. So they're definitely not the same...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Seems like it would need to have a connection point at the bottom, to somehow allow for the windshield to fold, almost like the defroster on a hard top.

Brock041

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Add it to the 2019 model year thread! No more buying stubbies! Though honestly, I'd rather have the cheaper to replace antenna-less windshield and a regular antenna. Maybe that's just me.

@Brock041, maybe you could put all this to rest by showing us how the antenna is connected to the radio. If you're right, then there must be a clear connection point; all I saw in the pictures was antenna in the glass and a bare connector. Am I missing something?

Not trying to bring your mighty internet fury down on me, but until I can understand how it connects [when this isn't listed as an option on ANY current Wrangler], I'm with @Rhinebeck01 on this one. Seems like a windshield that fits, but isn't "right."

Also, couldn't tell from the tenor of your post, but they are different part numbers: P68291705AB =/= P68293198AC. So they're definitely not the same...

Honestly I dont know what the connection is for....
Only reason I allowed the windshield with antenna to be installed instead of same part number that came with my jeep(they had both in stock and allowed me to look at them) was bc when my vin was run thru it said that was windshield replacement. I have the alpine upgraded stereo so figured i could use it or not at a later date when i found out what it was for.

Also since it looks like im going to be getting a windshield every few months, switching back is not an issue:)

Again, I dont know everything so sorry if it sounded like I did. But to say its the wrong windshield just bc it has a extra part seems ridiculous! If you needed a new headlight and you have a sport and they ship led headlights, you have wrong headlights..... but good for you:)
Sponsored