Winches question from newbie

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Mopar steel stubby with guard. Maximus-3 winch plate/filler plates/stealth license plate/hook mount Warn EVO VR 10S,

Looks good but untested yet
Jeep Wrangler JL Winches question from newbie IMG_0814.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
@Zotch looks good - now get out and test it. they do not make you invincible but do give a little more warm and fuzzy knowing you can get out when you bury yourself

VSundet

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Limited Rubicon Recon
Absolutely love my OEM steel bumper in stubby mode and winch. The rear steel bumper sucks and flexes up into the body if it gets hit while you're out wheeling, but the front one is great and keeps the nice OEM look. Can't please everyone.

If you want to opt for made in USA, any Warn winch outside of the VR (made in china) lineup is USA made, but expensive IMO. I personally went with the VR EVO 10S as I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a winch and didn't like the fancy controller on the higher end Warns. Love my VR and has pulled out a few rigs already.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winches question from newbie IMG_0814.JPG
Did you still need a plate? if so what did you buy?...Thanks

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Did you still need a plate? if so what did you buy?...Thanks
yeah - I bought the Warn one as I believe it allows for a little more clearance for the engagement lever. Easy install but had to widen two boltholes on the bottom skid to get everything to fit nicely.

1Placerville

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Fishbone front bumper and am very happy. I also got a Quadratech winch. It works fine and looks good BUT! I got a recall notice that said it will turn on un-commanded and when they have the parts in I have to ship it back. Can't quite grasp the concept of going down the Interstate and my winch turns on or starts unwinding. Not slamming Quadratech, just the manufacture. Until the parts come in I have it disconnected from my battery but can still use it if needed. Point is, just be careful of the winch you decide on and research it before buying. You did right by asking.

Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Here what I went with, Rugged Ridge Arcus bumper with Smittybilt X2O 10 k wench. I only lost a 1/2 with all this. This is my second Smittybilt. First one was on my a Tacoma for 5 years and only used it to pull out others. Had no problems with it.

ADFF920E-0150-4B48-B9B8-CF51341B987F.jpeg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Lot of going back and forth on synthetic vs steel. Both have plusses and minuses. Some love steel and would not use anything else - some the other way. Personally, I have used synthetic for 5 years and will never go back. For me there are no downsides. Research and decide for your self.

The wireless remotes are great in theory but I have not heard of one working twice in a row without an issue. I have never used one myself, though.

The ARB bumpers would be n my short list as well. The biggest issue I have with them is their weight - they are heavy. but one of the best built bumpers on the market.
i agree with all your points. i've been looking at the syn vs steel and the wire vs wireless. i came to a conclusion that i'll run the wire remote. as for the line its a toss up, but will try out the syn line. i'm actually getting a warn 9500ti winch from my brother. he's getting a warn 8274 with syn line. however he will swap to the steel line from the 9500. and re spool the syn line from the 8274. i've been looking at the arb classic winch bumper as well and going get one.
Sponsored