Sponsored

Willys From the Lot Pricing - Is This Normal?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Correct me if I’m wrong but generally speaking...

Higher MSRP, more margin, more vehicle options and more room to wiggle.

Smaller MSRP, less margin, less vehicle options and less room to wiggle.

Generally speaking, 7-8% below invoice is anywhere between 11-13% off MSRP.

This percentage off may not be available for all Wranglers as the amount off is based on the configuration of the Wrangler that the buyer is looking at.

There is no coincidence that higher priced Rubicons and older vehicles sitting on the lot for a much longer time usually qualify for additional dealer savings. Contrast this to newer vehicles with smaller margins that turn over fairly quickly - deep discounts not needed because they will sell for around the dealer asking price.
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sometimes the deal you can get depends on who you talk to at a dealer. When I was shopping for my JL I managed to get 2 quotes from the same dealer. One was through the "contact us" button on the website - they said they could only go as low as invoice price. The other I got by calling and asking for the fleet manager so I could ask him about some delivery questions (I was trying to get one drop shipped from the east coast - no it's not an option). He ended up offering 3% off invoice without even pushing it.

You could check truecar (and the costco car buying program), and possibly some other contacts - search the forum for that dealer, and maybe the other jeep forums. Maybe you'll find someone who has more power to deal.

Some dealers just don't flex that much. The one I live closest to is almost impossible to go beyond 1% under invoice, for example.

I went with a dealer that offered 5% off invoice when I bought my rubicon, but something like 3% isn't bad if you can get that. Especially if it's exactly what you want, and you can't custom order that color anymore.

Even getting invoice price isn't bad. It sounds like this was 1% under invoice? That's not bad. It's not brag-worthy, for sure, but it's not bad. Imagine the dudes going in and buying the dealer custom model that has ~$2-3k in mods at a $15,000 markup lol.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I think you could get it for close to 40K..my sister in-law just bought one (last day of May) and got about 6K off sticker...she called from the dealer and they were offering 41 which was about $3500 off sticker. She asked what I thought and I told her to offer 38K since it was the last day of the month...Anway, she got if for just about 39. I am guessing it was about 5-6 off sticker. She is also a COVID "Front Line" worker and that got her some additional $. I would think you could easily swing 41K.
Was that before or after tax, title, etc. ?

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Look...this is VERY simple. Honestly, I really don't know why this is such a head-scratcher for people. :movember:

You have MSRP and you have INVOICE (aka FWP).

INVOICE on a wrangler averages 94.5%-95.5% of MSRP [destination MSRP=Invoice (i.e. 100%); and certain options are 80% invoice to MSRP while most are 90% invoice to MSRP, but the base (i.e. the $35k-$45k thing!) is basically 95% invoice to MSRP which is the vast majority of the calculation], full stop. Then, sometimes you can get a DISCOUNT off of invoice - that will range from 0% to 8%, based on all the detailed history and anecdotes on this forum. The only hitch to this is that some places that give discounts to invoice will add on a "FEE" which can be, as I have observed, $250 to $750 (fyi, some states cap or limit any "fees") - which then takes UP your price by...YOU GUESSED IT...THE FEE! (about 0.5-1.5%).

...that is ALL there is to it. #MATH #EASY :piggybank:

Then you have your state's TTL. (there is no debating this...this is state mandated/determined)

Step 1: MSRP * 95% = INVOICE
Step 2: INVOICE * (1-DISCOUNT) + FEE = Price
Step3: Price + TTL = Final Price

I even COLOR coded it...

...there is NOT a magical Jeep fairy :jk: that (1) changes MSRP to Invoice calculations; (2) gives away Jeeps at some mythical price that is anything (meaningfully) different than the above; or (3) removes your state's TTL!!!

#PLEASE_STOP_DEBATING_THIS :clap: :angry: :involve:

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vtechfi

Vtechfi

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
All,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Definitely didn’t want to come off as unreasonable. I come from the German car world and realize things are different, hence why I preferred asking for honest and expert opinion here :rock:.

I learned more about jeeps in 48 hours through this thread & forum than if I ever read anything else. Really appreciate your answers!

We decided to keep looking in other states and go back By the end of the month to see if the rig is still there. If that’s the case, I’ll surprise my wife and chip in some more money as a 1-year anniversary gift:jk:.

thanks!

V

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Look...this is VERY simple. Honestly, I really don't know why this is such a head-scratcher for people. :movember:
You deserve a pat on the back for the amount of effort you put in your post.

Even if you made it dazzling with rainbows, ponies, magical fairies and other mythical creatures, some people will never understand it. Because they don’t want to understand it.

And so that I’m very clear, I’m not talking about anyone in this thread. :beer:

OP
OP
Vtechfi

Vtechfi

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
You deserve a pat on the back for the amount of effort you put in your post.

Even if you made it dazzling with rainbows, ponies, magical fairies and other mythical creatures, some people will never understand it. Because they don’t want to understand it.

And so that I’m very clear, I’m not talking about anyone in this thread. :beer:
Agreed! Everyone’s input was helpful. Now I just have to break the piggy bank :LOL:

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My MSRP in my JLUR was $45,510 and I got it for $39,610. Feb 2020 buy date. It’s a much different story now. Factory shut down for two months, now that they are back up they are short on parts from other factories. FCA not supporting dealers and holdbacks aren’t being handed out to buyers via rebate or off invoice.

I waited months to find a sting gray with 6 speed manual. I would say if it’s the one you want with options do it before it goes and then you are waiting all over again.

plus pumpkin is no longer so grab it.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Also with the recent dump in rental cars dealers and manufacturers are most likely going to throw in the towel for the year, reel back dealer offers, and severely reduce holdback amounts across the board. More profit per unit than volume selling to make more from the manufacturer. This will even the playing field with dealers.

Trade in values will be garbage for a long time too. So anyone trading in a vehicle, lower value and higher purchase price for new vehicle. Going to be a rough year to be a buyer...

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Correct me if I’m wrong but generally speaking...

Higher MSRP, more margin, more vehicle options and more room to wiggle.

Smaller MSRP, less margin, less vehicle options and less room to wiggle.

Generally speaking, 7-8% below invoice is anywhere between 11-13% off MSRP.

This percentage off may not be available for all Wranglers as the amount off is based on the configuration of the Wrangler that the buyer is looking at.

There is no coincidence that higher priced Rubicons and older vehicles sitting on the lot for a much longer time usually qualify for additional dealer savings. Contrast this to newer vehicles with smaller margins that turn over fairly quickly - deep discounts not needed because they will sell for around the dealer asking price.
i'll agree to what yo said and have seen that pattern. also i have seen different dealership work there pricing and discounts. one dearler will treats you like an idiot and say wranglers have no discounts and they are sold at or higher price above msrp. while other dealers will work with you on some form of discounts.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
All,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Definitely didn’t want to come off as unreasonable. I come from the German car world and realize things are different, hence why I preferred asking for honest and expert opinion here :rock:.

I learned more about jeeps in 48 hours through this thread & forum than if I ever read anything else. Really appreciate your answers!

We decided to keep looking in other states and go back By the end of the month to see if the rig is still there. If that’s the case, I’ll surprise my wife and chip in some more money as a 1-year anniversary gift:jk:.

thanks!

V
thats basically the key when shopping for a wrangler, is to shop around and see whats the dealership are willing to do in deals with wranglers. just keep in mind wranglers can be harder in dealing a good price. like one poster mentioned, check out criswell. they offer pretty good deals on wranglers. i would keep an eye on the punkn and see if it moves. if its still available go back in and offer the 40k and tell them you have a better offer, but not in the color you want. see if they are willing to budge on the price just to get the sale.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
one dearler will treats you like an idiot and say wranglers have no discounts and they are sold at or higher price above msrp. while other dealers will work with you on some form of discounts.
True! The local dealer didn’t want to discount much because people locally buy slightly below dealer asking price.

I reached out to Criswell and they asked me what I wanted, proposed a Rubi and JLU Sport, offered 8% below invoice and asked which one I wanted.

Both were generous offers compared to the local dealer.

TopDown2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
There are only a handful of dealers int the country making deals like Criswell, et al. That Punkin' being a limited edition and now out of production color is a rarity especially with the sky one touch. My guess is that you won't get the dealer to budge past what they've already offered you. If Corona continues to hammer down, maybe. Honestly, I'd say take it and run. That is a really good deal considering its a Willys model. Theres a great chance it will be gone poof by the end of the month.
Sponsored