Which model to go with?

Berserker789

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I am planning on buying a new Jeep Rubicon, and am trying to figure out if I should go with the new 4xe or with the 2.0 I4 engine. I'm finding that I can get the turbo one for around $48k with the options I want which is about 12% below MSRP. I'm working with a dealer to see if they would be offering the same type of discount on a 4xe, although I've been reading that some dealers are not offering discounts on them.

I plan on overlanding the vehicle and taking it off road as well. I am a bit disappointed that when you fold the rear seats down on the 4xe, the back is not flat because of the batteries being under the rear seats. Although I think there could be some mods to fix that. Eventually I will be getting a rooftop tent but with spending so much on this Jeep I think that may down the road, and I want an option to be able to sleep inside the Jeep.

What are your guys thoughts on it? Also, Jeep has also confirmed there will be a fully electric model in the future, so I'm wondering if the Hybrid will get discontinued within the next couple years making the parts/repairs more expensive.
Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
What kind of driving do you do? The 4xe may be good if you're driving under 100 miles a day because you can charge the battery. In addition you get much more HP and torque. If you're eligible for the $7,500 tax credit that also is a plus. Can't go wrong either way from what I have found in my research. The back seats not folding flat is a bummer.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
personally i would avoid any new vehicles that are "1st generation"

i.e. there will be kinks to work out in the first year production of any big change.

the 2.0 has been out quite a few years now.

just me but why invite the hassle, volunteer to be a guinea pig, etc.

i think it's cool they are coming out with this, and honestly i wish the best of luck and best wishes to the new owners of them

OP
OP

Berserker789

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
After doing some more research I think I'm going to go with the 4xe. I've seen that it averages around 49 MPG when in Hybrid mode and I do a lot of driving, especially around the city (I work in real estate) where that could be useful.

Also, I plan on doing lots of road trips and that gas savings will definitely add up.

Definitely some risk buying the 1st Gen of the Hybrid Wrangler but there will be a warranty and if they need to fix any manufacturing issue it will be covered under that.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
After doing some more research I think I'm going to go with the 4xe. I've seen that it averages around 49 MPG when in Hybrid mode and I do a lot of driving, especially around the city (I work in real estate) where that could be useful.

Also, I plan on doing lots of road trips and that gas savings will definitely add up.

Definitely some risk buying the 1st Gen of the Hybrid Wrangler but there will be a warranty and if they need to fix any manufacturing issue it will be covered under that.
You may want to check out the 4xe forum to look more into the fuel economy. You could definitely exceed 49mpg if you’re charging daily and taking shorter trips, but it only averages 20mpg when the battery is empty.
Sponsored