Sponsored

Which engine to order with Rubicon (canceling a 4xe order)

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Hey all,

I've read through a lot of these threads but I'm interested in getting some fresh thoughts on this question. I have been waiting for a 4xe for months and reading the endless issues and shutdowns, I'm going to restart the ordering process (woe is me!). In doing so, here are my engine considerations.

1 - It will be a rubicon. I will take it off road but really not a ton. Live in PA and likely will see more trails than actual rock climbs.
2 - I will have the tow package but won't tow much if ever.
3 - Will have standard wheels and no lift.
4 - Will have a mix of commute miles (20 miles/day at 30-45 mph) and longer 4-6 hour trips once every couple months.

What I want: Mostly reliability. But also some nod to fuel efficiency and fun.

Really tossed up between the three engines: V6, 4-turbo, and ecodiesel. I'd pull the trigger on the diesel but I feel like its reliability is somewhat a concern and it is loud (is it?). Love to hear more about it. V6 is the most reliable but its MPGs blow and it's kind of the middle child--good at a bunch, great at nothing. 4-turbo gets good mpg and a nice jump from the gun but I hesitate with the meager 4-banger. Is it really any fun? Anyways welcome the thoughts.

At least I can get the Sarge Green if I go through with this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
This may not help, but I'll throw my opinion in the ring.

I got the little turbo, and couldn't be happier. Never had a 4 banger before, and never had a turbo vehicle before either. Thought I would give something new a try - see below for possible solution if the little turbo doesn't work out.

My purchase mostly came from what was available at the dealer, and I was a little apprehensive about it. To be honest, I'm impressed with my little turbo's capabilities, and power. The only thing I can say I don't like is that it did not come with a standard tranny option. No worries though, for I've really enjoyed the "manual" shift transmission setup - works like a charm.

If in the future I would like something with more grunt... I'll shoehorn in a Mopar Demon. For right now, I like the underdog status, and have not been disappointed with the get up and go of little turbo.

Please, don't tell anyone in Texas about my lack of bigger... they may kick me out.

Last edited:

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Personally I would have gone diesel if they offered it in a two door. All that torque!!! 😍

That being said, I ordered mine with the four-banger. The 3.6L has the best track record because it's been around the longest, but I haven't found much wrong with the 2.0L yet. Most issues/complaints I have seen have been from eTorque or the ESS systems on both engines. Obviously the 2.0L is still a young engine so it's hard to speak to long term reliability, but I was willing to roll the dice for some better mileage and more torque (with premium fuel). I highly recommend taking both for a spin to see what you like driving better on road. After all, almost everyone's Jeeps spend 99% of their life there.

As a side note, I found that many of the people that hate the 2.0L don't drive turbo engines regularly. It's definitely different if you're not used to it, but I don't mind at all. I don't really think you can go wrong here.

Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My top choice would be an ecodiesel, it will get you great MPG and is also fun to drive around. I have had three Jeeps, the first two had 2.0L and my current one is an Eco DIesel. At first I was hesitant due to the upfront cost, but I will be ordering another soon. One of my favorite things about my Eco Diesel is even if I am driving with a heavy foot it still gets decent mileage compared to the gas engines which drop off drastically when driven like that.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Ive got the 2 liter a turbo and love it. Had the 3.6 in my JK and it was regeared to 4.56 on 35’s. The turbo on the rubicon and 35’s smokes the 3.6. Especially in the mountains. I went with turbo due to being at elevation. I was considering diesel but cost to benefit was not there. At the time it was $4500 more for diesel. Plus the def tank in rear hanging down made me nervous. I’ve had several drops I. The rear that would’ve done some damage if I’d have had the diesel. Loved the torqu in it, but cost to benefit just wasn’t there. Don’t be afraid of the turbo at all. I also have installed Pulsar XT and adds about 20ish HP. I can tell a difference for sure. It’s quite quick actually.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
Diesel Diesel Diesel!
What reliability issues are you referring to? Remember it’s the Gen 3, not the older Gen 2. Aside from initial production problems I don’t recall seeing any pragmatic or wide spread issues to date. I LOVE my diesel.

My next door neighbor does have the 4cyl turbo and it is impressive within the “turbo” band. Outside of that it’s a true 4 cylinder. The flip side is there are also some improvement mods that can be had on that motor. My vote is the diesel all the way. And the diesel has a 100k warranty on it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

For your driving habits, my research shows that the diesel will not be the best bet (short commutes, etc). Could be wrong, but that's what I gathered when I was considering the same question.

Between the 2.0L and the 3.6L, I personally went with the 2.0L and couldn't be happier. I came from an '07 GMC Sierra with the 4.8L V8, so going down to a 4-banger gave me similar concerns.

I went to a local dealership that had both the 2.0L and the 3.6L in stock and drove both, back to back. The 3.6L felt like driving my truck, honestly. Plenty of power, but hesitancy in the shifts - just a little slow to get up and go. The 2.0L, on the other hand, actually felt a little sporty. It seemed to shift instantly, and had no problem getting up to speed for the freeway, or passing people. Even at 70-75, I could easily get another burst to get up to 80+ to pass someone on my test drive.

I'm not a super gear-head, so I went with what my foot and feeling said to go with.

I'd driven that '07 since....well...2007. I didn't want to drive it for longer, so I went with the 2.0L. I average 20 MPG around town, easily up to 22+ on road trips with cruise control. I'd also read that the 2.0L will do better at altitude than the 3.6L, and while I live in Texas, I like to go to the mountains as often as I can, so that helped my decision.

TBH, I don't think either would be a *bad* choice, but I can personally tell you that the 2.0L is really fun and plenty powerful for the road AND the trail.