What's this engine noise?

Imagoforarun

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Okay, so I just bought my 18 Jeep Sahara JLU (6spd Manual) about 2.5 weeks ago in Rochester. It makes this I don't know, hissing noise?, pretty consistently when I put it into neutral/park it. I was thinking maybe a fan or pully, but honestly don't know what it is. You can hear it about 1/2 way through the video. I also had the thought of this maybe being the throw out bearing, but my understanding is that noise happens when pressing the clutch and is constant until release. That is not how this sound operates. This sound come after I move from gear into neutral and release the clutch. Think that is a vital piece of the puzzle.

Video link -
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This sound come after I move from gear into neutral and release the clutch. Think that is a vital piece of the puzzle.
I have a 6-Speed JLR and it has never made that noise, take it in so they can diagnose and fix whatever that is.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Did you buy is used? How many miles?

At least if you can replicate the issue at will it should be easy for the dealer to figure out.

OP
OP

Imagoforarun

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Did you buy is used? How many miles?

At least if you can replicate the issue at will it should be easy for the dealer to figure out.

Yeah bought used with 37k. It sounds to me like a pully maybe, or tensioner on the belt. It only lasts like 5 seconds, but it's everytime.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I getting a hissing noise I can hear in cabin after pushing brake or clutch especially after first starting the Jeep. Thinking it’s a vacuum pump.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If it’s that hum sound that lasts just like 5-6 secs like what I hear at the 5 sec point and again at the 22 sec point my 2018 JL A/T does the same thing and I think it’s a vacuum pump or possible the electric power steering pump, I brought it to the attention of the dealer several times over the last couple years and they said it’s normal and I have no issues with anything and I have 40k miles on it and it’s done it since day one
Sponsored