Sponsored

What will you be doing differently from the maintenance schedule?

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Consumer automotive oils (read that cheaper house brands) are only formulated to run 3,000-3,500 miles (amount of cleaners and additives), which is why you see that as a recommended change interval. The filters these days are typically smaller (i.e. smaller filtering life) and the "clean burning" engines scrape more particulates back into the crank case (creating more crap to filter out).

What this all means is if you're running cheaper oil, then change it more often.

If you're running higher quality oils, you can extend oil change interval, just make sure to change out the filter in-between oil changes.

I run Chevron Delo 400 in just about everything, I'll let change intervals go 10,000 miles +, but I always change the filter every 3,500 to 5,000 miles depending on what vehicle it is, filter size, etc.

If you're going to run extended oil change intervals, then do some oil sampling/testing to see how dirty the oil is at your change intervals.
Sponsored

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
I've got over 9K on the Jeep now in just over five months and I'm starting to kick this idea around. The dealer said I could easily run 5w20 here in NC especially for the summer.
I see you are in Michigan and kind of shocked to see you jump all the way to 5w30 for three seasons. What are your thoughts behind that?
I know they are running this ridiculously thin stuff to meet mileage standards but at some point the engine tolerances need to come into play as well where going too thick is going to hurt.
I ran Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w30 year round in my JK.

I put 5w30 in the JL when the temps warmed up. I may run 5w20 in the spring and fall depending on temperatures

Low tension piston rings and 0w20 oil can lead to blow by & excessive oil usage

Last edited: