What PSI is everyone running?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have 285/70 17 KO2s. I did the chalk test (draw a line across the tread from one sidewall to the other, and drive a few hundred feet. If the middle goes first: too much pressure, if the outside goes away first: too little) and 33 psi cold was spot on.
If 33 psi cold gave the best contact, when the tire heats and pressure goes up to say 35-36, the contact will be different (less). Check it again after you heat up the tires. I think you'll find you should be targeting 33 psi when hot.
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If 33 psi cold gave the best contact, when the tire heats and pressure goes up to say 35-36, the contact will be different (less). Check it again after you heat up the tires. I think you'll find you should be targeting 33 psi when hot.
Good point, I never even thought about that. 33 psi at operating temp is what I’ll try next.

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
The protection rings were mounted after balancing - does everyone with a protection ring balance after ring is on?

40ED700D-D570-430F-A699-A378F7277A1F.jpeg

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
Assuming that ring is a bead lock set up and not just a "trim" cap, I would balance the tires WITH the bead lock installed.

First, try tire pressure as recommended already, but, you basically added tire weights (ring) to a balanced tire.
Just my 2 cents.... v/r rch

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Assuming that ring is a bead lock set up and not just a "trim" cap, I would balance the tires WITH the bead lock installed.

First, try tire pressure as recommended already, but, you basically added tire weights (ring) to a balanced tire.
I’m going to get them road force balanced this week with the rings on - for some reason I thought this wouldn’t cause an issue (mounting rings after balancing). In hindsight, not so smart. I think with airing down and balancing with rings on should solve any issues, the KM3s from what I’ve seen people have had a lot of success with

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR

Also, to confirm - they’re not being ran as headlocks but simply protection rings on the Borah wheels. With that said, adding 20+ bolts to the side of the wheel with a powder coated protection ring I’m assuming will throw at least one or more of the wheels out of balance. Hit me yesterday this could be a problem = will get rebalanced

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Took it to shop today, different than where I bought the tires. Problem solved - the original shop literally did not put a single weight on any of the wheels. I don’t know how they said they balanced the wheels properly without one weight on any of the 5 wheels...unbelievable