Sponsored

What is this engine component and can it lead to coolant problems??

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What is this component in my engine? It is located on driver's side engine bay kind of right in front of my coolant overflow tank. I've noticed (as seen in the picture from L to R), #1 and #3 aren't threaded down as much as #2 and #4.... They aren't loose and I can not loosen or tighten with my finger so not sure if this is how it's supposed to be. Several weeks back I had my EGR valve replaced b/c I'd lost all my coolant on my drive to work, and fortunately was able to get to the dealer before any major issues happened. (Took in b/c I'd lost my coolant and it was determined my EGR valve had gone bad). I'm not sure if this piece shown was removed to do the repair and then replaced but the connections not tightened back down by the technician.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is this engine component and can it lead to coolant problems?? Engine

Also, regarding EGR/Coolant issues.....I know that the overflow/expansion tank for the coolant can fluctuate to some extent in volume of coolant and the level in it. Since my repair, I have been periodically checking it and tonight I noticed it seems like it is too low. This is the lowest level I've seen and not sure if I should be alarmed, or if I should add diluted coolant or if maybe the coolant is just located elsewhere within the engine. I loosened the cap to relieve the vacuum to see if releasing the vacuum would fill it any and the level essentially didn't rise. My engine has been off for the last 4 hours so the engine temp should've "cooled off" so not sure if the volume has contracted because of the cooling. I haven't checked a level with a "warm engine", but will do after my drive in to work in the morning.

I've stopped by the dealer several times since my repair to question the service advisor and get reassurance about coolant level when it was consistently below the ridge line or "min" level. He has basically said (and I paraphrase a little) that as long as I can see coolant in the tank above the aluminum piece I am ok. I am going to go by and show him this picture and coolant level whatever it may be at the time, but am a little worried I'm still losing coolant somewhere. I am also not sure if I should add any coolant at this point. I realize low coolant if it truly is low is corrected by adding coolant....but I don't want to do something I shouldn't and then end up blowing a head gasket or something. For reference as to where my level has been I attached a second pic showing the coolant level on or around 8/15/21 which was also with a "cold engine" after sitting overnight. I thought this level to be too low, but when I went by the dealer that time and engine was warm the level was higher and this was when he told me by looking at the (2nd) picture any visible level means things ok.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is this engine component and can it lead to coolant problems?? Coolant tank
Jeep Wrangler JL What is this engine component and can it lead to coolant problems?? Coolant 8:15

Thanks for any guidance and help.
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
That’s the ABS module.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Antilock Brakes.

I’d just top off the coolant and watch it.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Thank you. Is the configuration of two of them not looking to be "screwed down" as much as the other two normal? Thanks
As long as they’re not leaking/ weeping fluid I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

not sure about the abs unit but for the coolant level Mine has been been just below the pinch seem since i brought it home. when its hot outside and after driving its makes it to about the pinch seam with expansion. Just keep an eye on it. I have yet to have to add any and it hasnt changed from that spot in about a year

OP
OP
JeepAustinWeird

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
not sure about the abs unit but for the coolant level Mine has been been just below the pinch seem since i brought it home. when its hot outside and after driving its makes it to about the pinch seam with expansion. Just keep an eye on it. I have yet to have to add any and it hasnt changed from that spot in about a year
Thanks. I did add a small amount (about 1/4 cup) last night, just in case. I will definitely be continuing to keep a close eye on this. Just seems odd that there is a min and max level marking on the tank and it consistently runs no where near the min level.
I did look at this morning after a 25 min drive to work and the coolant level was about the same as the level I was at after adding last night. So at least I know if losing any (and hopefully not) it’s not happening rapidly.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You coolant level probably dropped a little when an air bubble worked it's way out of the system, after they did their work. Fill it to the seem and see if it stays there.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Thanks. I did add a small amount (about 1/4 cup) last night, just in case. I will definitely be continuing to keep a close eye on this. Just seems odd that there is a min and max level marking on the tank and it consistently runs no where near the min level.
I did look at this morning after a 25 min drive to work and the coolant level was about the same as the level I was at after adding last night. So at least I know if losing any (and hopefully not) it’s not happening rapidly.
just make sure when adding you have the correct coolant. the JK's and the JL's use two different types mopar PN68163849AB for 50/50 mixed gallon jug and PN 68163848AB for the concentrate gallon jugs

OP
OP
JeepAustinWeird

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon