Sponsored

weird question - anyone remove their windshield??

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
i haven’t folded down the windshield yet and if i did, i’d put towels down and use the molar straps but still don’t want to crack the glass. also, i’d think it’d just be easier to remove it and not worry about it as well as look better if it was just completely off. anyone do this?? just curious.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
i haven’t folded down the windshield yet and if i did, i’d put towels down and use the molar straps but still don’t want to crack the glass. also, i’d think it’d just be easier to remove it and not worry about it as well as look better if it was just completely off. anyone do this?? just curious.
when you say "this" you do mean taking your windshield down at its hinges, not removing the windshield correct?

If so, I did it once just so I could say "been there done that..."

only I initially couldn't. I needed to buy a windshield wiper arms puller device to get one of the wipers removed first.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
You may want to try driving with the windshield down first since anything above playground speeds is a challenge. If you fully remove the windshield then youll ruin your painted hinged bolts and theyll always look ugly.

It aint fun. Windshield down is for crawling on trails with less than 1km/h winds. My windshield straps were used for 5 minutes. Went around the block and said fuck that.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Folded down, yes. Removed at the hinge, no.

Are you worried that a rock will hit the inside of the glass?

Sponsored

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
i just thought it’d be fun to try windshield folded down but perhaps less chance of cracking if it was just removed as it’s only two more bolts but now i’m rethinking if driving with it folded down isn’t that much fun

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Interesting question... I have never folded down my windshield... mostly because I think it does not look cool at all.... it looks like you are carrying a piece of furniture on your hood... now.... if I were to run with no windshield then I would rather go with completely removing the windshield.... I think it would look much better... damaged bolts? well.. .they are just damaged bolts... replace them with Allen button head (Or Torx Plus.... ughh LOL) and paint them to match ... it is not the end of the World...

I could not find a JL or JLU online that is topless / doorless and with the windshield removed.. I am curious.. :)
Sponsored