Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
A dude waved at me the other day as I was walking into CVS. I gave him a slight wave back but my face told another story of "Do I know you dude..., oh boy another crazy person"... then I looked back just before passing into the store, and I saw him get into a Jeep.. then it dawned on me :facepalm:. I feel like a prick to this day. Hey dude if your on here sorry about that.
You should IMHO feel no such thing, as much as it speaks to your decency that you DO care about other people's feelings. You did nothing wrong.

You had zero clues that this guy who waved to you was, at the time of a wave, a Jeep owner. This is the why "the wave" is done, at least with strangers, with both wavers in their Wranglers. This guy should have had the sense to realize that there was no context around in what capacity he was waving to you under and that you're not psychic. I don't mean to harsh his day either, his heart was in the right place. And sometimes we forget--to make a metaphor--that we don't have to talk louder for people to hear us just because we have headphones on--the similarity to your situation being a well intended lack of situational awareness by another party.

I wave to near every Wrangler owner, but generally not, as a middle age man to young ladies who likely just received their drivers licenses and are driving a Wranger, unless they wave first. Practical behavior, and avoiding the need to have to explain to the authorities the notion of a "Jeep wave," isn't worth the bad blood I may create by not waving first (which isn't my obligation) to someone who very well may not know the wave, or even if they do, may take my gesture the wrong way. And then its just a few fingers of my left hand raised above the steering wheel, not "Forest Gumpian" like above.

Tons of times I don't get waves back. It is senseless to wonder why or be bothered by this. Many don't know the wave, many do but aren't nice (not my problem.) Many have their minds elsewhere while driving or are stressed. If some mom is on her way to the hospital to be with her mom, and doesn't wave, what on earth principle would I be fighting that she forgot to wave?

People need to be reminded that when they don't get a wave back it is 100% on the person who doesn't wave. This person doesn't know you so they are not deliberately failing to wave because it's you: the individual doing the waving.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
To cover ALL the bases, I wave...with my middle finger raised.
Aldo--I get your dark humor: the kind gesture masked in the less than kind one...

It reminds me of this--which up front, allow me to say, regardless of whether people find this funny or not, I judge all people by the content of their character and have nothing against those of Asian extraction...the juxtaposition "comedy" here (and if you don't find it funny because it perpetuates slurs that's valid) could have existed with any racial group.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have been waving the normal Jeep fingers wave on the steering wheel to every Jeeper I see now. Most wave back if they see you. Most women do not wave. It seems like most Jeep guys are already looking and start wave to me at the same time. Its odd that now I can spot Jeep way down the road. When topless I have held a hand out the window to wave passing others. Dallas area has more women Jeepers than I would have thought. Very Very few even look my way. I have talked to Jeepers in parking lots too. My wife was waving both hands out the top of Jeep at some while back. Told her calm down that's a little too much. :blush: I Might be wrong but :blush:

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
My wife used to ask about the waves.

When I had the Mustang, most other Mustang owners waved.
Then you have the Harley wave, which surprised her as well.
Then I got the Jeep and there is the Jeep wave. She actually asked if I buy my vehicle based on a vehicle wave. :)

Then one day she came home, all excited because another Challenger driver waved at her. :LOL:

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I try to wave at every Wrangler I see. Usually it's the casual lift 3 fingers while hands still on the wheel wave, but if I have the top down or doors off I might get more aggressive and stick a hand out.

Sometimes I'll realize it's been a few days without waving and get paranoid thinking "Have I been oblivious and ignoring other Jeeper's waves, or have I just not passed a Jeep recently?"

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I notice these days I actually get more waves from stock Wranglers than I do the heavily modified ones.

miranda_majo

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 78 Corvette
I have been waving the normal Jeep fingers wave on the steering wheel to every Jeeper I see now. Most wave back if they see you. Most women do not wave. It seems like most Jeep guys are already looking and start wave to me at the same time. Its odd that now I can spot Jeep way down the road. When topless I have held a hand out the window to wave passing others. Dallas area has more women Jeepers than I would have thought. Very Very few even look my way. I have talked to Jeepers in parking lots too. My wife was waving both hands out the top of Jeep at some while back. Told her calm down that's a little too much. :blush: I Might be wrong but :blush:
I (a woman) wave at all Jeeps, and I usually do get more waves back from men. I don't know what's up the ladies butts lol

RatherDashing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
In Japan the Jeep Wave does not exist, but I wish it did. Is the Jeep Wave only in the US? What about Europe, Australia, South America or other regions? Is the Jeep Wave to all Jeeps or just Wranglers? And while we're at it, what is the proper wave -- like a "hello" wave or more of a cool few fingers up Harley type wave?
If you start the trend and talk about it, others will follow suit.
I've seen all kinds if waves, from just the index finger to full arm jiggle. My favorite is when the window is down, I like to put my whole arm out to wave.

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l, ‘20 JT Sport S
i had a Gladiator start flashing his lights at me about a half mile down the road to make sure he got my attention before waving lol

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I (a woman) wave at all Jeeps, and I usually do get more waves back from men. I don't know what's up the ladies butts lol
I guess these Texas women are just non-wavers !!!! :like:

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you start the trend and talk about it, others will follow suit.
I've seen all kinds if waves, from just the index finger to full arm jiggle. My favorite is when the window is down, I like to put my whole arm out to wave.
Gotta admit receiving an overt wave definitely gives me a good feeling....

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Same. It’s rare that another woman waves back. I love the wave and it makes me smile.