Wave etiquette

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I always give the jeep wave. It's returned about half the time. Most drivers are looking straight ahead and pretty much ignoring everything not directly in front of them. It's nice when the wave is returned but if not, no worries.
I've only had mine for a couple of weeks now and have been trying to give the Jeep wave consistently. But I have missed quite a few, not seeing them until it's too late. I don't think I realized how many Wranglers were out there, it's catching me off guard.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Here in the north Georgia foothills the wave is pretty common. The wife and I made a two week trip in September to Colorado and were having mixed results so we came up with a wave rating system. #1 is for the best wave, #5 the worst.
1. The other driver was so fast that they beat us to the draw.
2. The other driver responded to our wave with a wave.
3. The other driver didn't wave but appeared to not see ours.
4. The other driver was looking us square in the eyes but refused to wave back.
5. That would be the New York middle finger wave.

We received a mixture of 1 through 4 but didn't get the first #5 thank goodness. :turkey:

Later,
Johnny

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Proper wave etiquette with regards to Bronco's is to physically ignore them but imagine left hand, middle finger wave :)
Mike,

Unfortunately we'll see a lot of Benedict Arnold's moving over to the other side (for whatever misguided reasons). If you wave to that person driving a Jeep now doesn't mean you should start giving him the left hand middle finger salute (even in spirit) when they realize, on their own, just how foolish they were to do so. Kind of be like kicking them when they're down.

Even though bronco drivers will always be a little misguided, they're still showing some Jeep spirit by driving something other than some mundane sedan or foreign jalopy.

However, Dante's inner ring of hell is reserved for traitors. The problem is one of stereotyping. How can you tell who exactly are the former Jeepers behind the wheel of that ford mare.

I'm still working on some half-wave idea that doesn't require contortion but still conveys a little (but not a lot of) disrespect.

Maybe I'm flat out wrong.

Jay

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Mike,

Unfortunately we'll see a lot of Benedict Arnold's moving over to the other side (for whatever misguided reasons). If you wave to that person driving a Jeep now doesn't mean you should start giving him the left hand middle finger salute (even in spirit) when they realize, on their own, just how foolish they were to do so. Kind of be like kicking them when they're down.

Even though bronco drivers will always be a little misguided, they're still showing some Jeep spirit by driving something other than some mundane sedan or foreign jalopy.

However, Dante's inner ring of hell is reserved for traitors. The problem is one of stereotyping. How can you tell who exactly are the former Jeepers behind the wheel of that ford mare.

I'm still working on some half-wave idea that doesn't require contortion but still conveys a little (but not a lot of) disrespect.

Maybe I'm flat out wrong.

Jay
Don't worry Jay, they will be easy to spot...

Jeep Wrangler JL Wave etiquette 5daa028e439112ab5443f4bc_MHcsHTbM1r-OdkHkJKawKR3vhrk6g5xFopB66VzEnl7hFKR63n-zTqBeLrrOHmsD5X0EP

BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I just don’t get the bad feelings directed at the Bronco. I drove one for many years, it was a great vehicle. I had all kinds of fun with it. Went anywhere I wanted it to. Then a couple years ago I bought a Wrangler. It’s a great vehicle, it does everything I want it to. There’s enough room out there for both vehicles. Why not join together in the 4X4 Off-road Brotherhood.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Jim,

You are indeed an optimist. But the 4x4 Brotherhood would then have to include a 2x1x1 IFS. Not that it can't off-road but it's really something different. Depending on it's ability to articulate it may or may not make a good off-road impression.

However, it has very little if nothing in common with it's older discontinued grand-cousin except it's name. Why did they stop producing the older version? Hint: lack of sales.

Only now when they realize their Fusion lineup is toast, they have to try and tap into a market that they pretty much all but gave up on.

Will I wheel along side them? You bet. Will I help pull them out of trouble? Every time. However, this horse will likely just be yet another trail taco.

But they'll have my respect for trying to imitate both a Jeep and their extinct ancestor. But this reincarnation is neither, no matter how they advertise it.

Unfortunately, FCA's tremendously crappy customer service and low quality perception will give Ford an opportunity for market share in this segment. That much is clear.

Your observation that we will certainly have to become friends though is spot on. Trail comaraderie is always a good thing. Maybe the Puegot / Fiat merger may muck everything up to the nines. I'm surprised the Europeans haven't put their total stamp of ugliness on Jeeps hasn't happened already. Who knows, maybe we'll all be bronco owners at some point, just to drive something with a North American influence.

Until then, maybe a good wave would be a simple five finger horizontal twist of the wrist. Move along little horsey...

Jay

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well, with the introduction of Jeep chickens, I think we need some adjustments. I propose that vigorously shaking your Jeep chicken at oncoming Jeeps should suffice as a "wave". No choking your chicken at oncoming traffic though, that would just be improper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wave etiquette 20210115_114615

Last edited:

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
This whole thread makes my head hurt. How about a history lesson?
Jeep Wrangler JL Wave etiquette JEEP WAVE
Sponsored