OP

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon
The transmission breather tube is up high in the engine bay. Same height as the air intake for the motor. So keep the water below the fenders.

I sank a ‘04 TJ a few years ago. I shut the engine off and managed to save the motor, but when the transmission cooled off I lost pressure in the vent tube. It opened up and I toasted the trans.

Big picture here: know the depth of the water and those numbers that Jeep publishes are good numbers to go off of.

Post number 10 shows transmission location on the 3.6L. Certainly it’s around there for the other engine configurations as well.

V V

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/water-fording-pics.12609/#post-332693
Thank you so much for your thread you posted in your reply this was great and useful to me
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much for your thread you posted in your reply this was great and useful to me
I forgot to add I always air down my tires for off road but for a water crossing is it a good idea to air back up for maximum ground clearance

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
A general rule of thumb on the JL is as soon as your lower door hinges are underwater, look for shallower water. You can still handle a little more depth but intentionally going deeper is not a good idea at that point.

OP
OP

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A general rule of thumb on the JL is as soon as your lower door hinges are underwater, look for shallower water. You can still handle a little more depth but intentionally going deeper is not a good idea at that point.

OP
OP

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
okay thank you for this

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I noticed that the rear diff vent on my JL only goes to the bottom of the cargo area. My old TJ had it routed well up into the taillight area.

Any suggestions on type of hose for extensions? Tried to buy old, inexpensive SAEJ30R7 carburetor fuel line at the local parts store but it seems the environmentalists have made them all switch to low permeating SAEJ30R14 which is 10 times as expensive. Couldn't find a TOC hose in the correct diameter and the dealership doesn't sell bulk hose, only part-specific vent lines.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
You can get extended aftermarket breathers for the axles. I am not sure if they're available for the transmission and transfer case.
Got a link for those extenders? Having trouble finding anything reasonable. Thanks.
Sponsored