Sponsored

Ursa Minor?

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Was the awning bracket installed by UM. Does it feel sturdy? I’m guessing there is hardware on the inside for the brackets. Can you take a pic of that?
Yes when I get home I can take some pics, the bracket was installed by UM and yes it is very sturdy feeling. I had him put the 4 brackets on because I might want a heavier batwing awning in the future

Edit. So just got home the brackets are not visible from the inside but they look like solid blocks molded into the top here is a closer pic of the brackets
459B8D7B-2BF9-42A1-AD3B-968E44DF54BB.jpeg

And here is another from the passenger side
EA431853-71CB-405E-9564-2112B8AE4FCD.jpeg
678C4470-7693-43DB-AA56-30AA20DBFDB1.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Was the awning bracket installed by UM. Does it feel sturdy? I’m guessing there is hardware on the inside for the brackets. Can you take a pic of that?
There’s a guy on YouTube that has lived in his for three-plus years now. He has extensive walk around featuring his UM top. Check him out. Promise, you’ll get sucked into watching the rest of his videos. Quit his job and lives out of his Jeep now. He’s doing the things the rest of us only dream about.
He recently got his UM “fixed up”. Just a few repairs from daily use.
He’s who sold me on the idea of a UM top and he doesn’t BS about it. If he likes something, he likes it. If he doesn’t, he says so. Here’s the link.

Venture4wd

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Did you do any research? Their Insta is loaded with delivered units

This is an imported unit from a company out of Lubbock. Good luck trying to get a hold of them. I’ve been trying for months

265 minus the 120 the current hardtop weights

They’ve said they plan on the Bronco, but have made no plans as of yet. I would be worried about it being a factory Bronco option as this is what has pretty much killed AEV for jeepers

So excited for you. I’m in the list for a December delivery, but I might push it back to May so I can ship my jeep to Oregon (no sales tax) and make the ride back to CO a nice planned road trip.
It’s very worth it My initial impression is it far exceeds what I was expecting (which is great considering the cost)

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
There’s a guy on YouTube that has lived in his for three-plus years now. He has extensive walk around featuring his UM top. Check him out. Promise, you’ll get sucked into watching the rest of his videos. Quit his job and lives out of his Jeep now. He’s doing the things the rest of us only dream about.
He recently got his UM “fixed up”. Just a few repairs from daily use.
He’s who sold me on the idea of a UM top and he doesn’t BS about it. If he likes something, he likes it. If he doesn’t, he says so. Here’s the link.

Venture4wd
Yep Chris is who I found the UM thru, actually got to meet him once

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Kirk

very happy for you! This is an expensive mod. A very expensive mod. But in the world of RTT, there are none that can hold a candle to this type of setup. I don’t want an RTT but, if I did, the only one I would consider would be this one. Oh, and I would need to sell my blood by the pint to afford it.......

anyway, total congrats. Now, get your ass out into the woods and start using that bad boy!

Sponsored

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
Has Ursa Minor shipped any JL units? I seem to remember people saying they were expecting theirs that they ordered, but that’s been over a year ago or more.
I just got #26 for the JL installed in San Diego on Monday 9/14/20. Was told they are shipping about 4 per week now. Even if they did another set of molds, shop space is full. So, without more real estate and team, and cash infusion to ramp, I'd suspect they'll be at the same pace for a bit. There have been and continue to be certain supply shortages that are frustrating their ability to get them out. The CA business shutdown orders did not help either. Known: Rear quarter panel windows unavailable, ARB awnings sold out, that's all I heard about from Chris in SD and the owner John up North. Listen ... I spent a night in this on the way home from Cali at about 4000 feet in NM. It was so easy, so slick. Literally took under a minute to have up and less than 3 for me to be in the bed, lil buddy heater on, lights turned off and snuggled. I know I'm going to use the hell out of this thing. It's built like a tank, so many little thoughtful features (the guys in shop use them and are constantly tweaking, upgrading). Will post some pix of mine and add comments to supplement what's already in here. I can't figure out how to post the darned pix ... but I'll figure it out shortly.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Hope the pix come through ... first, this is solid, beefy! Attaches to normal top bolts. Quiet. Coming from a soft-top, wow! And, I had just put in the Alpine PSS-23WRA amp and sub, so it was a delight for the long ride. Hardware is all stainless-thick. Got the ARB side/back brackets. Also got the adjustable Yakima racks. If going more than 100lbs on racks, Chris said should get beefier gas structs. But, in the meantime there's an aluminum post on the inside for extra weight, safety in high winds and for snow load, so the top does not come down on you while you are in there! Canvas is sunbrella, rubberized bug mesh is sturdy, don't know hte bran name, but I've seen it before in marine applications, tough stuff. Two LEd reading lights and a dome light up top, along with 12V and 2 USB ports. Master cutoff switch for top electric on headliner above driver seat. Same switch has 12V and 2 USBs you can use to mount stuff on headliner by windshield - room for a radio, screen mount, etc. I'm putting in a radio base and repeater and my SPOD HD switch up there. Already comes with a channel for wires and rivnuts for mounts. I got the map pockets as well, zipper pocket and place for maps, cards, etc. I;m 6'3", 290 and it was easy in out and comfy sleep with extra legroom. The sides in cargo area re lined with the OEM carpet for a finished look. Two Cargo area LEDs are SUPER BRIGHT and put the OEM rear dome to shame. Two stainless catches in the front plus an internal spring loade catch that you get to in the rear cargo area to open the top. Makes it so someone cannot open the top from the outside. Takes maybe 10lbs of pressure to get the gas struts to lift it up the rest of the way. Climb in.out from rear seats through a cut out that can be replaced once you are up there. I did not bother and just slept on one side ... wanted good airflow b/c I was using propane heater. Putting back down, standing at the rear, just move fabric towards interior and the integrated bunjee cords tidy the rest of the tent and keep it away from the sides as everything closes -- no moving all round' like in a RTT to tuck in. SO FRIGGIN EASY!!!! In love. I ordered in 2019. So, it took a while. And, it was expensive. But, a good rack, RTT and tent, and the pain factor with RTT, I just know I'm going to have a lower barrier to using this. Down at beach for windsurfing, pulling off to the side of the road on interstates, national forests, and even ski trips to Southern Co like Wolf Creek, Taos, yhea, I'm going to pay for this right quick. No compromises that I can see so far. Get on the wait list. You won't regret it.

5F02DA57-2F29-406C-9D96-9AED82DF3052_1_105_c.jpeg

DF1744AA-A520-4E28-85DA-7DF6447155FE_1_105_c.jpeg

9C3B415F-8FA6-4A1E-A31F-9BA2BAF73FEB_1_105_c.jpeg

CEE56C35-9D8E-4679-9723-8B3D32BBA721_1_105_c.jpeg

33D5E94E-16C3-49D5-A64A-E78F26F6B083_1_105_c.jpeg

127D78E3-95D5-4335-B493-D662D3886945_1_105_c.jpeg

34E1E387-D63A-4606-A196-AA6D5F91D744_1_105_c.jpeg

F92B2BA5-5261-4B66-BEF8-52D836CD5069_1_105_c.jpeg

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hope the pix come through ... first, this is solid, beefy! Attaches to normal top bolts. Quiet. Coming from a soft-top, wow! And, I had just put in the Alpine PSS-23WRA amp and sub, so it was a delight for the long ride. Hardware is all stainless-thick. Got the ARB side/back brackets. Also got the adjustable Yakima racks. If going more than 100lbs on racks, Chris said should get beefier gas structs. But, in the meantime there's an aluminum post on the inside for extra weight, safety in high winds and for snow load, so the top does not come down on you while you are in there! Canvas is sunbrella, rubberized bug mesh is sturdy, don't know hte bran name, but I've seen it before in marine applications, tough stuff. Two LEd reading lights and a dome light up top, along with 12V and 2 USB ports. Master cutoff switch for top electric on headliner above driver seat. Same switch has 12V and 2 USBs you can use to mount stuff on headliner by windshield - room for a radio, screen mount, etc. I'm putting in a radio base and repeater and my SPOD HD switch up there. Already comes with a channel for wires and rivnuts for mounts. I got the map pockets as well, zipper pocket and place for maps, cards, etc. I;m 6'3", 290 and it was easy in out and comfy sleep with extra legroom. The sides in cargo area re lined with the OEM carpet for a finished look. Two Cargo area LEDs are SUPER BRIGHT and put the OEM rear dome to shame. Two stainless catches in the front plus an internal spring loade catch that you get to in the rear cargo area to open the top. Makes it so someone cannot open the top from the outside. Takes maybe 10lbs of pressure to get the gas struts to lift it up the rest of the way. Climb in.out from rear seats through a cut out that can be replaced once you are up there. I did not bother and just slept on one side ... wanted good airflow b/c I was using propane heater. Putting back down, standing at the rear, just move fabric towards interior and the integrated bunjee cords tidy the rest of the tent and keep it away from the sides as everything closes -- no moving all round' like in a RTT to tuck in. SO FRIGGIN EASY!!!! In love. I ordered in 2019. So, it took a while. And, it was expensive. But, a good rack, RTT and tent, and the pain factor with RTT, I just know I'm going to have a lower barrier to using this. Down at beach for windsurfing, pulling off to the side of the road on interstates, national forests, and even ski trips to Southern Co like Wolf Creek, Taos, yhea, I'm going to pay for this right quick. No compromises that I can see so far. Get on the wait list. You won't regret it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor? F92B2BA5-5261-4B66-BEF8-52D836CD5069_1_105_c

So awesome! I gotta get one ordered asap!

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Yep absolutely love mine between work it’s been a busy week but loading up now to go out tonight to spend the night in it. I hear you about the shortages, I am pretty sure I got the last ARB awning they had

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Yep absolutely love mine between work it’s been a busy week but loading up now to go out tonight to spend the night in it. I hear you about the shortages, I am pretty sure I got the last ARB awning they had
Rock on. But for this 'tropical depression' coming in, I'd be at Padre Seashore or Bird Is. I was lucky, 4WP had the larger side awning in stock last night - I think I snagged one of the last ones there as its backordered again. Ha. Have a great night!

Sponsored

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Rock on. But for this 'tropical depression' coming in, I'd be at Padre Seashore or Bird Is. I was lucky, 4WP had the larger side awning in stock last night - I think I snagged one of the last ones there as its backordered again. Ha. Have a great night!
Thanks!! I love this thing!

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
You gents are killing me. Super jelly jelly jelly...

Couple questions if you're willing:
  1. Will your rigs fit through a normal height garage door? (7 feet, I believe)
  2. Did you re-spring prior to installing the UM? (I presume so for that net weight gain, but...)
    • If so... what did you end up putting on?
  3. You both chose the driver's side for the awning... I've noticed Shontz (Venture4WD) did the same... I am curious about your thought process there. I will likely be solo forever, so it probably makes sense for me to have it over the driver side too, but I am curious how others decide.
  4. Can the access to the top be on either side? I was under the impression they made them with driver and passenger side access hatches.
    • If the access to the top is only on the passenger side, having the awning over there might be useful as well... for easier, sheltered night-time nature calls, etc.
  5. Either of you have the Genesis (or other) dual battery setup to go with it?
Thanks for the info... I'm so damned bored these days I am resorting to retail therapy to stay half sane.

Enjoy those rigs! :jk: :flag:

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
looks awesome, congrats. wish it was 18" wider or so and I'd have one for sure. Just too narrow for us, especially me. I'm not large, but damn can I toss and turn at night

looking forward to some trip reports

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
You gents are killing me. Super jelly jelly jelly...

Couple questions if you're willing:
  1. Will your rigs fit through a normal height garage door? (7 feet, I believe)
  2. Did you re-spring prior to installing the UM? (I presume so for that net weight gain, but...)
    • If so... what did you end up putting on?
  3. You both chose the driver's side for the awning... I've noticed Shontz (Venture4WD) did the same... I am curious about your thought process there. I will likely be solo forever, so it probably makes sense for me to have it over the driver side too, but I am curious how others decide.
  4. Can the access to the top be on either side? I was under the impression they made them with driver and passenger side access hatches.
    • If the access to the top is only on the passenger side, having the awning over there might be useful as well... for easier, sheltered night-time nature calls, etc.
  5. Either of you have the Genesis (or other) dual battery setup to go with it?
Thanks for the info... I'm so damned bored these days I am resorting to retail therapy to stay half sane.

Enjoy those rigs! :jk: :flag:
LOL. Retail therapy .... The rig is tall with the top. Just fit's in garage with 35's, 2" lift and Yakima rack. Will measure later and post. No re-spring. It's only about 100lb over stock hardtop. So, not overly concerned about weight. As I put more stuff on, I'm sure will need to address suspension. Just not today. Awning ... wanted one over rear to cover trailgate table/kitchen. The ARB 1250 is compact and so easy ro seat up (cheap too). Decided to do driver side for the 2000, just because that's where I'll be - keeps rain away and ground a little bit dryer than mud. One on both sides seemed silly, more windage and just one more thing to get caught on a tree or rock. Access to the top is on either side -- there's two panels. No dual battery. Its a good idea though. Currently using a Yeti 1000 for fridge and house battery and a Noco GB40 for emergency start. As I'm gearing up for winter in the rockies, dual AGM might be a better answer. I've heard the lithium batteries don't do well in cold. Not sure. But, only so much space and weight, so seems that simpler is better.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Thanks for the reply!

Access on both sides seals the awning on driver side for me.

If that actually fits into a standard garage, my second last reason to not order one has more or less withered... not sure I am quite inspired enough to get one until I move back west to the mountains and deserts.

Of course, 2020 has been such a POS and I've had to cancel all my fun, and that leaves that unused budget burning in the ol' wallet... :LOL:
Sponsored