First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
I am looking for a lockbox that installs under the seat so I can put a handgun in there for personal safety. But the law requires it has to be in a locked container. My Chevy had a hidden lock compartment for exactly this reason.
I found 2 on Amazon, but people complain they are cheap, and dont fit very well even in a JK.
Ideas ???
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for a lockbox that installs under the seat so I can put a handgun in there for personal safety. But the law requires it has to be in a locked container. My Chevy had a hidden lock compartment for exactly this reason.
I found 2 on Amazon, but people complain they are cheap, and dont fit very well even in a JK.
Ideas ???
The glovebox and center console both lock and I use those for my firearms.

OP
OP
RockinMarine

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I dont want them in a plastic glove box that someone can pop open with a screwdriver. CA has a law that says if your firearm is stolen, and used in a crime, they can hold you accountable if its not secured in a proper manner. A glove box does not qualify.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I dont want them in a plastic glove box that someone can pop open with a screwdriver. CA has a law that says if your firearm is stolen, and used in a crime, they can hold you accountable if its not secured in a proper manner. A glove box does not qualify.
If he can get in your vehicle to start with, he's got the tools to get into anything in your vehicle that can be small enough to stow under the seat. The glove box and center console are locking containers and are not just flimsy plastic that you can use a screw driver to bend out of the way.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Get your Carry Conceiled License and you won't need a lock box. I did!
lol, I never even bothered trying to get a CCW when I lived in Cali... too difficult to justify to get it approved.

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
I never leave a firearm in a vehicle, period. Lock box or not. If they want it bad enough, they'll find a way.

I also never leave it in a backpack or other piece of equipment off of my body that can be stolen. Not a good idea. I'd take the above advice and get your CPL.

OP
OP
RockinMarine

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CA CCW is impossible unless your law enforcememt or a celebrity. I agree with not leaving a firearm alone, but I cant take it to work. So I need it to be secure while Im at work. Most of the time its at home, but I like to go off roading after work. And I dont want to go on any trails without protection. There are some looney tune individuals here in CA

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
CA CCW is impossible unless your law enforcememt or a celebrity. I agree with not leaving a firearm alone, but I cant take it to work. So I need it to be secure while Im at work. Most of the time its at home, but I like to go off roading after work. And I dont want to go on any trails without protection. There are some looney tune individuals here in CA
If they're anything like the Meth-heads in 29 Palms, I understand your concerns. I'm going to dig for some securable lock boxes but as for now you do still have two locking containers in your vehicle.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone verified this fits the JL, though? I seem to recall someone (@DanW?) reporting that there was no room at all, although that might have been just the passenger side (or I might be entirely mistaken).
Yeah I'm not sure if they have a JL specific one yet, but considering it's a bestop product, they're sure to have one in development.

I just use my center console if I absolutely have to leave my pistol in the Jeep. Otherwise, it's holstered and on my body.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone verified this fits the JL, though? I seem to recall someone (@DanW?) reporting that there was no room at all, although that might have been just the passenger side (or I might be entirely mistaken).
It won't work. As I posted above my small box wouldn't even fit and I have to put it under the front seat from the back.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It won't work. As I posted above my small box wouldn't even fit and I have to put it under the front seat from the back.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll make something for the JL soon.
Sponsored