Undercoated my 4xe with Woolwax

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Applied Woolwax, a lanolin based product, to the entire undercarriage of my 4xe before work this morning. It turned out as well as I could have hoped. It was easy to apply and was fairly easy to clean up afterwards.

For prep, I just rinsed all the POUNDS of road salt off from all the nooks and crannies. Let it dry for a day and then touched up any rusty areas with Rustoleum high performance enamel and let that dry for another day.

Used 2.75 quarts of the natural (straw) colored Woolwax to coat everything I could find to spray or inject using the Woolwax "Pro Undercoating Gun" set to about 80 PSI. My 30 gallon Kobalt compressor kept up fine. Made a bit of a mess with the overspray because I was lazy with putting down drop clothes everywhere I should have. Just cleaned up my garage floor with some degreaser and the pressure washer.

It is supposed to rain the next few days so hopefully it will be a good test of how resistant to water wash off this thick Woolwax stuff is compared to something like Fluid Film.

I sprayed the bottom with the hose for a few seconds (those drips you see are water, not the product which didn't drip at all) and nothing rinsed off or even moved around so I am hopeful. I'll let you know how it looks after driving around in bad weather.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pro Tip: Use the extension hoses to spray inside the frame before coating everything else or you'll make a mess and cause smears everywhere like I did.

Jeep Wrangler JL Undercoated my 4xe with Woolwax 20230313_150811

Jeep Wrangler JL Undercoated my 4xe with Woolwax 20230313_150718

Jeep Wrangler JL Undercoated my 4xe with Woolwax 20230313_150743
Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
All in, how much would you say you spent for product and tools? I meant to do something like that this fall and never did it. Hopefully I'll get it done before next winter.

Thanks.

OP
OP

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
All in, how much would you say you spent for product and tools? I meant to do something like that this fall and never did it. Hopefully I'll get it done before next winter.

Thanks.
This is the exact kit I bought for $150. It comes with 4 quarts and the spray gun with extension hoses. Should be enough to do my 4xe and my Willys 2 door. Looks like a gallon of Woolwax runs around $60 so I'll plan on spending that much per year to reapply it to both of my Jeeps.

If you already have an air compressor, I highly recommend this setup. Just be prepared to get covered in sheep grease when you do it. Haha.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the smell is wayyyy less strong than Fluid Film which is an added bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L4VD7JT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
This is the exact kit I bought for $150. It comes with 4 quarts and the spray gun with extension hoses. Should be enough to do my 4xe and my Willys 2 door. Looks like a gallon of Woolwax runs around $60 so I'll plan on spending that much per year to reapply it to both of my Jeeps.

If you already have an air compressor, I highly recommend this setup. Just be prepared to get covered in sheep grease when you do it. Haha.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the smell is wayyyy less strong than Fluid Film which is an added bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L4VD7JT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
Thank you very much.

If it's actually lanolin, it shouldn't have to be redone ever. Fluid film actually remains a fluid and can wear off with nothing more than exposure to fast moving water like driving in the rain. It's good, but it needs to be redone.

Lanolin dries semi-hard but flexible. Maybe touch it up every couple of years, but that's it.

Babeinsap

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude; 2001 TJ
It will have to be reapplied. I put it on my truck every year. Pretty good stuff but you can see where it washes or wears off and leaves gaps. I spray it in the fall so it’s protected over the winter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
It will have to be reapplied. I put it on my truck every year. Pretty good stuff but you can see where it washes or wears off and leaves gaps. I spray it in the fall so it’s protected over the winter.
Any places in particular that I should be monitoring for wash-off? Did you get it up behind the sheet metal in the wheel arches? I didn't and I feel like I should have tried to get some in there, but I am not really sure of the best approach to get access to that area without doing a bunch of work to remove stuff.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Applied Woolwax, a lanolin based product, to the entire undercarriage of my 4xe before work this morning. It turned out as well as I could have hoped. It was easy to apply and was fairly easy to clean up afterwards.

For prep, I just rinsed all the POUNDS of road salt off from all the nooks and crannies. Let it dry for a day and then touched up any rusty areas with Rustoleum high performance enamel and let that dry for another day.

Used 2.75 quarts of the natural (straw) colored Woolwax to coat everything I could find to spray or inject using the Woolwax "Pro Undercoating Gun" set to about 80 PSI. My 30 gallon Kobalt compressor kept up fine. Made a bit of a mess with the overspray because I was lazy with putting down drop clothes everywhere I should have. Just cleaned up my garage floor with some degreaser and the pressure washer.

It is supposed to rain the next few days so hopefully it will be a good test of how resistant to water wash off this thick Woolwax stuff is compared to something like Fluid Film.

I sprayed the bottom with the hose for a few seconds (those drips you see are water, not the product which didn't drip at all) and nothing rinsed off or even moved around so I am hopeful. I'll let you know how it looks after driving around in bad weather.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pro Tip: Use the extension hoses to spray inside the frame before coating everything else or you'll make a mess and cause smears everywhere like I did.

Honestly I love the idea of undercarriage protection but you may regret it, and some dealerships won’t touch your vehicle with it applied, just something for anyone else who may be thinking about it. But I get it, and the stuff works just messy and a pain when it comes time for some wrenching to the vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Honestly I love the idea of undercarriage protection but you will regret it, and some dealerships won’t touch your vehicle with it applied, just something for anyone else who may be thinking about it. But I get it, and the stuff works just messy and a pain when it comes time for some wrenching to the vehicle.
I'd much rather work on a messy vehicle than a rusty one, but I get your point. If a dealership refuses to perform warranty work because its too messy under there, I'll just remove the goop from that area and have them do it then.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I'd much rather work on a messy vehicle than a rusty one, but I get your point. If a dealership refuses to perform warranty work because its too messy under there, I'll just remove the goop from that area and have them do it then.
That’s where the regret comes in, crap is insanely hard to remove. My wife’s TRD Pro 4Runner got flagged at her normal dealership and they won’t touch it. So I tried to high pressure it off and ended up spending about $450 to have it steam cleaned off from a removal company. Sucked bad. But once again the stuff does its job and functions well and easy to re-apply from time to time.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
And more so for a cheaper alternative but exactly the same chemical and compound is the PB Blaster Rust Shield spray that can be had at $4 a can at Harbor Freight.

Sponsored

OP
OP

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
And more so for a cheaper alternative but exactly the same chemical and compound is the PB Blaster Rust Shield spray that can be had at $4 a can at Harbor Freight.
I was able to get it all off my floor with some degreaser stuff (purple bottle don't recall the brand) and it melted it off instantly so I'd just use that if it came to it.

I have a few cans of surface shield to spray up in tight areas and places I find that I missed as well as around the house. It was like $10 a can at my HF. I used ~2.75 quarts of Woolwax which would have been like 8 cans of Surface Shield and it would have cost ~$80. Its $60 for a gallon of Woolwax which will do both of my Jeeps.

Babeinsap

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude; 2001 TJ
Any places in particular that I should be monitoring for wash-off? Did you get it up behind the sheet metal in the wheel arches? I didn't and I feel like I should have tried to get some in there, but I am not really sure of the best approach to get access to that area without doing a bunch of work to remove stuff.
Mostly I see it coming off the frame. Could be from the high pressure car wash too. Seems to stay up behind my fenders etc but the frame I definitely see it is missing. I use the black wool wax as it covers the frame nicely. I pulled back the fender lines on my truck to coat the arches the first time. Seems to still be there now And haven’t had to recoat

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I’ve heard that Surface Shield is more durable than fluid film. But I’ve never seen it for $4 a can! Buy me some!

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I sprayed mine on in sept or oct and it's still there. I may have oversprayed a bit (honestly not sure) but I could see more honey color than the OP by far. I just used the canned stuff and the little spray handle they give you with the cans. It's still on there. Protection will be all season at the very least.

My dealership hasn't batted an eye with it as they've done a 5-tire rotation + oil change with it on there and I know I got it all up there where they have to service it. I didn't spray much on the engine but all the frame parts up under there I got.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I’ve heard that Surface Shield is more durable than fluid film. But I’ve never seen it for $4 a can! Buy me some!
Gotta get it when Harbor Crap has their coupons out for it. Haven’t priced it lately though.
Sponsored