First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2-door Willys 3.6 mt, ’19 Durango
Occupation
Retired
Does the Tuffy Security Center Console for the JL have an ‘exit’ point for an iPhone cable if you want to use the console’s USB port to charge phones outside of the security enclosure while to box is shut/locked?

Thank you,

~ Rick M
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Does the Tuffy Security Center Console for the JL have an ‘exit’ point for an iPhone cable if you want to use the console’s USB port to charge phones outside of the security enclosure while to box is shut/locked?

Thank you,

~ Rick M
If I remember correctly, it does. I think I threaded mine while I was installing just in case but in hindsight, you can connect it after the fact. Out of town but if no one else can verify, I’ll try to remember to check for you when I’m back home Monday.

OP
OP

Frozen Beanz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thank you! From the online pics - I don’t see it!

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have one. There is plenty of room for the cord with the lid shut. That setup was my go to before I plugged a wireless carplay module in the center console usb port.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've the Tuffy security console safe. There's no distinct notch for wire management that acknowledges the powered USB port in the console. If others have such such a feature, possibly that was a revision occurring subsequent to my purchase.

That said, I am able to route a thin charging wire through the closed/locked lid with no observed wire strain. I say "thin" because nominally thicker USB cords, i.e. those capable of data transfer as well as charging, will likely be compressed when the lid is closed. That was my experience when testing various cords.

Just something to keep in mind. Or the owner can choose to drill a hole in a location of his choosing, and add a grommet.

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I cut a slot big enough for the usb end to fit thru.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuffy Center Console 20220210_161021

OP
OP

Frozen Beanz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks all. I’m not a fan of pinching the cable. I’m going to have to figure out how to route the cable out of the box

OP
OP

Frozen Beanz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I think I figured out how to get my iPhone cable(s) out with our pinching them...

I removed the back of the center console (2 screws), took out the air ducts (2 screws), drilled a hole (I didn't really pay attention - but I think I used a 3/4" Spade Bit w/ 19mm Rubber Grommet) from the rear of console, into the interior of console. Passed 2 iPhone cables out the grommet and fished them down the console's duct bank to the "natural" exit point at the floor.

I will keep a 6' cord coiled at the passenger seat for charging use; and I am going to run a 10' (Anker + PowerLine II) under the center tunnel, into the glovebox, and behind the climate controls & display screen to the dash -- where I will exit with a similar hole/grommet for the Driver's side 67 Designs Phone Mount.

I know that people have had issues with the center console usb flaking out on CarPlay - but I haven't had an issue (yet) - so I am running the wire and hoping for the best. You'll only see the cable exposed at the mount - clean, clean, clean!

I probably won't get the cable hidden behind the dash for a little bit - but will continue to use the 10' cable and console usb with car play and see how things work.

Cable Exit.jpg

Drill Hole.jpg

Inside Pic.jpg

Remove Back of Console.jpg
Sponsored