Transfer case shifting is hard

vsayler

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
First jeep, came from a Raptor. Have about 2k miles on it but none off-road yet. Shifting transfer case can be very hard (I tow behind an RV). I have heard that it gets easier with more use. Wondering what the experience is,
thanks
Van Sayler
2019 Rubicon (Stock)
Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes mine was very hard to get into out of 4x4 high or low.

Everyday when I went out the driveway I shifted it in 4 high and out again several times. Then on the way back I shifted it into 4 low.

It is a lot easier now and goes into 4 high like butter. 4 low is still a little stiff but much better.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
4 hi becomes very easy. 4 lo can be a little more tricky but you want to be rolling 2-3mph which is often a challenge in and of itself .

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
After a year, 4 hi is very easy. It was very difficult when new, on the level that I thought something was wrong.

4 lo is a matter of getting the gears to align and drop in. Sometimes you can get lucky when stationary, but most times you need a dead crawl with no load on the driveline to get in or out.

The JL is substantially more finicky in that department than my JK was.

Friedrice

First Name
Joe dirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport
Occupation
Oil bizzness
I have 2019 sport 6spd. manual trans. Was difficult shifting in 4WD low, everytime I parked I would roll it in the garage shifting it into 4WD low & leaving in low overnight the cables relax & memorize making the transfer case shifting much easier worked for me ! Hope this helps someone. try it. Good luck

Sponsored

Eschnei

First Name
Scamper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Same issue—hard shifting transfer case out of neutral after flat tow behind the RV. Took about 2-3 years to figure out what’s going on. There is no synchronization motor, so if the gears are not exactly aligned, if won’t go into gear. Hence, the need to be moving slowly to go into and out of 4L. Same issue when shifting out of N from a flat tow. Now I park the RV with sufficient space to drive forward slowly a bit until I can get the transfer case to pop back into gear. Sometimes I have to shift into 4L first and then pop it into 4H/2H, but at least the gears are no longer clashing. Yes, easiest with two people and a walkie-talkie. The other solution is to unhitch the Jeep from the RV and then push it for momentum until the gears align and you can get it back into gear. So here’s the $64,000 question for Jeep—what do I do if I get stuck when I’m out 4 wheeling and I need to get it into 4L from 4H for more traction? Clash the gears because I can’t move forward or backwards? Or bring my crystal ball so I can see into the future and make sure I’m in 4L before I slip into that sinker? Oh that’s right. If I have my crystal ball, I will know there is a sinker ahead and avoid it entirely. Jeep needs to spring for a synchronization motor. 🙄

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Same issue—hard shifting transfer case out of neutral after flat tow behind the RV. Took about 2-3 years to figure out what’s going on. There is no synchronization motor, so if the gears are not exactly aligned, if won’t go into gear. Hence, the need to be moving slowly to go into and out of 4L. Same issue when shifting out of N from a flat tow. Now I park the RV with sufficient space to drive forward slowly a bit until I can get the transfer case to pop back into gear. Sometimes I have to shift into 4L first and then pop it into 4H/2H, but at least the gears are no longer clashing. Yes, easiest with two people and a walkie-talkie. The other solution is to unhitch the Jeep from the RV and then push it for momentum until the gears align and you can get it back into gear. So here’s the $64,000 question for Jeep—what do I do if I get stuck when I’m out 4 wheeling and I need to get it into 4L from 4H for more traction? Clash the gears because I can’t move forward or backwards? Or bring my crystal ball so I can see into the future and make sure I’m in 4L before I slip into that sinker? Oh that’s right. If I have my crystal ball, I will know there is a sinker ahead and avoid it entirely. Jeep needs to spring for a synchronization motor. 🙄
If you’re shifting from 4H to 4L mid obstacle you’re doing it wrong. Definitely no synchro motor needed.
Sponsored