Sponsored

Transfer Case Issue 2021 Sport 6MT

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
My transfer case never felt "right" in 4H as it would lock into 4H nicely and perform well but every once in a while it would indicate NEUTRAL after some wheeling but clearly be in 4H. I'd bump the shifter over and back to 4H and it would correctly say 4H.

A few weeks ago I was at Citrus and it slipped out from 4H into NEUTRAL on very bumpy roads probably like 3 times over 15 miles. I kept it in 2H since this experience. I just got the Jeep back from the dealership and it was diagnosed as: "4X4 SHIFTER OUT OF ADJUSTMENT, PERFORMED SHIFTER ADJUSTMENT TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND RETURNED TO CUSTOMER".

Should I be concerned about transfer case damage? I have 13,500 on the odometer and have probably wheeled it on sand trails about 50-60 miles. My thought is to drain the transfer case and check for metal (by running the fluid through a coffee filter), and fill with new fluid. I've drained my fair share of differentials and transmissions, so it isn't a difficult endeavor for me. Any advice, am I wasting my time with the fluid change? I shifted between 2H and 4H since they adjusted the linkage and it shifts great.
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
An oil change after break in is never a bad thing and will give you some piece of mind.

On the off chance you do see a concern with the amount of wear metal at least you’ll be informed. I’d rather know than be concerned and NOT know, if that makes sense.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m sure your case is fine, if it wasn’t in the proper position it wouldn’t drive properly. A fluid change is never a bad idea though.
Sponsored