Sponsored

Tombstone

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I'd gotten in my head late last summer that I wanted to build a Jeep to rock crawl here in Central Texas with. It was not going to be a daily driver, but I wanted something for the rock ledges that we have our in Hidden Falls Adventure Park, as opposed to the slick rock that we are graced with at Katemcy Rocks. I had a vision in my head of what I wanted, spent months reading, researching, and then ultimately deciding to go to an expert, someone who had a shop in the park itself, and that's where it all came together. So ultimately a huge thanks to Jones Jeeps for building me my Jeep.

I'll run down the build intent, pictures of the various parts of the build (fortunately for me, the builder sent a ton of pictures, let me in the shop as much as I was able to see, and participate, and get some learning done.) The original intent was to use as many made in the USA parts as possible, but that wasn't always possible.

To begin with:

Metalcloak 3.5" Game Changer Lift w/6-Pak (I debated the Fox 2.5 shocks, but could not justify that increased cost.)
Synergy Tie Rod
Synergy Drag Link
Fox JL ATS Stabilizer (Considerd PSC, but it's twitchy on the road, and maybe down the road, not now.)
MagnaFlow Cat Back Rock Crawler Exhaust
Metalcloak Front Bumper
Metalcloak Exo-skin
Metalcloak Overland front and rear fenders
Metalcloak Overline Rocker Rail
ACE Inner Fenders Front
Artec Rear Inner Fenders (have them, still have to install them)
ACE Stand Alone Slant Back Tire Carrier
ACE Hammertown Rear Facia
Rusty's Offroad Rear Facia Cover Kit
Raceline AL231 Wheels (I wanted Trail Ready, but their delays are just longer than I wanted to wait.)
Monster Air Down Valves
Maxxis Razr MT 40xx13.50R17LT
Warne Zeon Platnium 10S Winch
ProCharger HO Intercooled System with Helical Gears
Bestop Trektop
RCV Ultimate D44 Axles (Still to do)
Yukon 4.56 Ring and Pinions (possible could move to 4.88, but for the rock here, 4.56 probably suits best) (Still to do.)
ARB Twin Air Compressor (Still to do)
i-Drive Throttle Controller (Still to do)
KC-Hilites 10" Bumper Mounted Light Bar (Still to do)
Rock Lights (Still to do)
Metalcloak FAD Plate (Still to do)
Rugged Radio RM-60 60 Watt GRMS Radio (Still to do)

Here it was going in:

fv9zNsjxC8Fnc5HgL7ZvnpwRWGpW76xT1XvhSUaX8HjwCsJQ-y3VrsV_t04KKO_Lmjq08vQKnow2HH0GnlLRQSSB8w=w2400.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
ProCharger getting installed:

fNheHLdcMCzSlq6kTxn7WzTSpdv4AtDHXbrypYNyQGm_x1ylgtSKQIkbFW6pEIAfXxvshrUW-KF-y58JcO2FewAScw=w2400.jpg

More pictures and details on this thread on the forums.

Video of the ProCharger w/magnaflow exhaust:

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
MetalCloak Overland Fender:

DZRlDEM62wPUip_4suQloBtocrmx-eXbhwuHPSo-I2JEqEFByFPJhGsniiduCg4_rTyJlZmYl9r1RXX96DD7X6nghQ=w2400.jpg

I love the fender, but I think the LED's don't have enough draw, because they both come up as "Front Turn Signal's Not Working" every time I start up, even though they are in fact...working...

Good look at the Ace Inner Fenders, I love them, however I'd offer one suggestion to them, illustrated by the following picture to this one.

DGpt1Uxthih_oENMECBJa72p9JXj3XcWCn8nBQAZUnLEle5eY0UwMcbkBOmrtuzxbU6OWRa5s60hmpyhlzht1HWA3A=w2400.jpg

6hUEtUCYtQBD_BsVIeFELzIcXjl4zi1OOCEFf9OQ2z9h0L9fLDRX-VhIYFVnPHvFQkk0J2R0XyXEXhRDRBEWokw2ag=w2400.jpg

We had cut-back the inner fenders because there was not enough clearance for the 40's, but even with the cut back, I still got into the inner fender and pushed it up, going to have to cut it back a little further before the next time I go wheeling. Still a big proponent of ACE.

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
41w2nqC1n3MFFJpNNO2baKVHU63MRfgKlhyjXPDR8iXM5OHqCE8IMIR77CMjy3s8y3gnjgR05Ce9nf9egdDM-d02Hg=w2400.jpg

Best view (post completion) of the Rusty's rear facia and corner protection, along with the ACE Hammerhead rear facia and Ace stand along tire carrier with slant back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
As it sits today:

9FJTAmTNv0irFifSiEULI07Zs3dIw42EjTmLwDVJ-5Nf3iSgASWBQdrCkuTzqhNBmcNkrfhv3TPoqil8IABIVMPTLw=w2400.jpg

-TyUvx4KafZjETWEI3Ufvi-jdfdIuRRmT_PE90eeaYjLQkv9a5vXTjqHc2Ybfy1f6T0V2JS4zkiJRvCjYpBgNqAM-g=w2400.jpg

Doing what it should be doing:

W-e4hxyIzYogcfbbzKq0JVOKuqNYawArmGYEqAmKDJV37ZeeMfCkoVv4Mst0t4gQ-qN2Z98A0XE2j4ZwgHu9ZO5viQ=w2400.jpg

And that's a little video of it for the first time taking to the trail. Like anyone, I went immediately to one of the harder trails at Hidden Falls, Loose Rock (There are a few tip overs and rolls every year on the trail) to see if we could get it done. Video is synced and spliced from a few cameras, and yes, we got past the intro, when someone else had a Jeep break on the trail. It was repaired at a 35-37 degree angle (I was impressed) but it took a few hours, so the ride up was completed at night.

Biggest issue that night (got way better the next day as I was learning the throttle) was the delay between hitting the gas, and having it go with the turbo charger, not a fan of that lag. I'd hit it, and it would a split second to a second before it would engage. My belief is that the i-Drive Throttle Controller will help eliminate that. I did get better the next day with more seat time, but we'll see going forward.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You certainly did you homework top notch everything. Well done!

Have you talked to Metalcloak about the fender lights as I'm interested in them as well.

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
You certainly did you homework top notch everything. Well done!

Have you talked to Metalcloak about the fender lights as I'm interested in them as well.
I did not, the builder talked to him, and is going to see Matson end of the week at EJS. He thinks that there is a set out there for the TJ that would work, or that there is a solution that way, either way, hoping early next week I have an answer. Either or, it's not that big a deal as long as I know they are working, and frankly I like them, and would hate to change them out.

And thanks! I do love it so!

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I did not, the builder talked to him, and is going to see Matson end of the week at EJS. He thinks that there is a set out there for the TJ that would work, or that there is a solution that way, either way, hoping early next week I have an answer. Either or, it's not that big a deal as long as I know they are working, and frankly I like them, and would hate to change them out.

And thanks! I do love it so!
Thank you. I have the slides and rockers and these match perfect. I'm also waiting on the aluminum inner fenders from them too. I watched the ACE fender install video and he seemed to mention something about a part needed to trick the JL. I'll rewatch.

Please let me know how it works out. I'm following your build so a post here is good.

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I watched the ACE fender install video and he seemed to mention something about a part needed to trick the JL.
I hope to have the answer on the turn signals tomorrow when I run out there, but yes, there was an aluminum bracket that came with the Metalcloak fenders that needs to be installed, which the inner fender also mounts to supporting it. If you were not using the Metalcloak fenders, I'm not sure how you'd do it....out of my scope of knowledge.

Going in tomorrow to take care of a couple of little things:

1) Monster Valve's are perfect on 3 of the 4 tires, but the other one I'm losing about 8lbs of air every 24 hours, so I have to air up everyday. I'm not sure if it's one of the two rubber gaskets not on there properly, or if the issue is with the valve stem itself. Either way, quick fix.

2) Install the wheel caps. Raceline doesn't include them, and in the haste, I forgot to order them, however there are a ton of wheel caps on their website, and I had to call, give them the wheel, and then they gave me the part numbers that I needed to order. Fast shipping, had to get them from JEGS though.

3) Install the I-Drive module. I'm interested to see if this helps with the initial dead pedal in 4-low, and gives me power when I expect it, rather than delaying a half second to a second before it engages. That'll be a big deal for crawling for me.

Then just to schedule a date to bring it in, and get the last few items installed, of which it's the gearing that I'm most excited to get done. Pre-Build I was getting about 17 MPG, and now I'm getting 12.5 MPG. I always expected it to go down, but proper gearing should help it out a little more.

A few gratuitous pictures of some light trails and crawling....I mean, can't have an update post without pictures....

0tXN5048Wf5fmjG8wB0h658Wfis0aoKpUUnK3stU36yJgzkzLw4_PJu3I-8nkZMtr3btNzSjmQa5qkdrh4LuPA3fbg=w2400.jpg

Note the unhappy look on the guides face....that's what you get when you just go up the easy way, while he was thinking about how to re-position you to take the more challenging (i.e. fun) way up.....I need to learn some patience!

a16p1JtkPf3yIsi-SgY7_IJHw_y7YmWCFrssTZ3V9R-iUOwePubAq74alsQ0qXnI3P_-hCUbWh9F1ETFwI7BZizpug=w2400.jpg

2K_rMnlFmnYUVkw3cQ7AouXvj2c3gvKGorua4Dc85mZ4uXjOq0EBYBE2x-_etEDYjFxjM9W_LBi0ph930P5vYZicvw=w2400.jpg

jx6FYRHm7OdftW5yEIbASP7knBeHnNuTnieJ2mKq3nIuNUKTon8HRLVcIV_1wrGaT6Cig_fXpTc58dflT-aU3nLglA=w2400.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
@sundevil827 So you are currently running 40's on the stock Rubicon axles? Wondering how they'll hold up with the extra power from the super charger.

OP
OP
sundevil827

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Nice build.. quick question, what is your backspacing on the Racelines?
4"

@sundevil827 So you are currently running 40's on the stock Rubicon axles? Wondering how they'll hold up with the extra power from the super charger.
Ultimately I don't think that they will. That said, I had ordered the RVC Ultimate 44's. Hopefully next week I'll be able to get the Jeep in, and get the gears and axles done at the same time. Quite a few people in the club here who have gone to Hemi (5.7 and 6.4) and ProCharger (JK's all of them) have had great luck with them. I knew I needed to do something, couldn't leave it stock. I know a lot of folks would have gone with the Dynatrac ProRock 44 for JL, but with the positive feedback I'd had on the RVC I believe (I could be wrong, but I'll have to see how it plays out.) that it's going to be a solid choice for me.
Sponsored