Tire patch or plug

robertsj22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited sport soon i hope
I recently purchased 4 used 35” bfg all terrains. One tire was plugged. My question is since I have it off the rim should I patch it from the inside or just leave the plug in it and let it be.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@robertsj22

Seeing you have to ask and do not know yourself and are unsure...... I would seek the advice of a tire professional that actually looks over/examines your problematic tire.

Reality is your life, your family and friends lives depend on that tire being safe to ride on.

By the way.... a lot depends on where the puncture is. Also, repair if prudent is usually done with a plug/patch combo (not a plug or a patch) as seen in this pic..

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire patch or plug Capture.JPG

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@robertsj22

Forgot to mention.... Even after a quality/top notch lets call it repair, I will only run the re-paired tire in the rear and never in the front.

IF, I have 5 tires, I keep the repaired tire on the tire holder on the back of the Jeep... use it as a temporary spare only.

When a tire blows you fair far better when it is not a front/steering tire.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have it patched while it’s off. Discount tire does it for free. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with running a properly repaired tire in any position.
Most of my driving is higher speed interstate driving and that is what makes me not want a repaired tire on the front.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I've had a plug last 15-20K with no issues on a passenger car tire when I was young and broke. Now that I'm old and have minor children that depend on me, I wouldn't trust a plug personally. I've had many tires patched with no issues, make sure not to go to "big box store" as they think the shoulder of the tire is 2-3" into the tread patter. :)

Dalton07

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Daewoo Tocsa
If the puncture is in the tread area, ¾ area of the center. I think you should plug it in because a plugged tire can work well if it is installed correctly and does not exceed three. According to many researchers, driving on a plugged tire is safe within short distances of up to 8 miles. But plugging is a temporary fix, so finding the nearest tire service center for a proper repair should be the priority.
Sponsored

Last edited: