First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
I am completely new to off-roading but really want to experience the full off road capability of the Wrangler.

Do you all have any suggestions as to how to learn the ropes and build my confidence in what this car can do? I'm not so worried about mild-moderate trails, to me with such a capable car and careful driving, a JLUR will break no sweat. Correct me if I am wrong. But how do you make that jump to those advanced trails with steep inclines/declines and rougher terrain, know which trails your Jeep can/can't do, etc?

I ordered a Sarge Green JLUR two weeks ago, would really like to see what a stock Rubicon can do and then start to mod as I reach those limits. Can't wait to get my Jeep and out on the trails this summer!
Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Hungry Valley SVRA has a 4x4 obstacle course with a ton of different stuff. Usually a lot of people there on the weekends if you need a hand with anything. Should be back open by the time you get your jeep.

Lockwood/Miller Jeep trail is close by there and has a good mix of everything and won't push the limits of a stock jeep. Should be opening back up soon as well.

You should invest in trail gear before performance mods. A way to air up/down your tires, some basic recovery stuff, comms, etc. If you run with a group there will usually be plenty of recovery gear and tools to go around but sharing air compressors can be annoying and time consuming so definitely get your own if nothing else. You can get handheld UHF and CB radios for about $25 bucks each and will do the job well enough until you decide you want to invest in better comms.

A stock rubi will do most of the main popular trails in so cal so just go have fun and modify as a need arises.

And if you spend too much time on the forums you will start thinking you need 37s to drive down fire roads so be careful of that. Just go wheeling, and you will see...

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Look for some kind of (Jeep) training program.

Back when I was a novice, I took some courses, and figured out there is so much to learn from an experienced trainer. Found it to be absolutely worth the money.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There are tons of resources for taking those next steps. Check with local off road clubs, they have the experience and may have their own courses or have relationships/experiences with off road instructors. Here are a couple of thread articles, but there are many more. Also, as mentioned above, spend the time and money now to get the right safety gear while you wait for the “Sarge” to arrive. This is just a place to start. Be safe!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
Hungry Valley SVRA has a 4x4 obstacle course with a ton of different stuff. Usually a lot of people there on the weekends if you need a hand with anything. Should be back open by the time you get your jeep.

Lockwood/Miller Jeep trail is close by there and has a good mix of everything and won't push the limits of a stock jeep. Should be opening back up soon as well.

You should invest in trail gear before performance mods. A way to air up/down your tires, some basic recovery stuff, comms, etc. If you run with a group there will usually be plenty of recovery gear and tools to go around but sharing air compressors can be annoying and time consuming so definitely get your own if nothing else. You can get handheld UHF and CB radios for about $25 bucks each and will do the job well enough until you decide you want to invest in better comms.

A stock rubi will do most of the main popular trails in so cal so just go have fun and modify as a need arises.

And if you spend too much time on the forums you will start thinking you need 37s to drive down fire roads so be careful of that. Just go wheeling, and you will see...
Appreciate the local tips! I've definitely heard of Hungry Valley. Can't wait to get out there and play. 100% felt that about the 37s! They just look so great...but being a newb to off road I am still valuing MPGs and on road driving of a stock Rubi.

OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
Look for some kind of (Jeep) training program.

Back when I was a novice, I took some courses, and figured out there is so much to learn from an experienced trainer. Found it to be absolutely worth the money.
Was exactly my thinking. I know there's definitely a skill curve with this stuff. It does not look easy...

OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
There are tons of resources for taking those next steps. Check with local off road clubs, they have the experience and may have their own courses or have relationships/experiences with off road instructors. Here are a couple of thread articles, but there are many more. Also, as mentioned above, spend the time and money now to get the right safety gear while you wait for the “Sarge” to arrive. This is just a place to start. Be safe!
Great advice, thanks for the resources. I definitely plan to check out the local off road clubs. On top of the car itself the community for Jeeps is second to none!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Understand that often gear reduction - NOT momentum - is your friend. There are times when you have to scramble or keep your speed up but beginners want to "just get through" everything instantaneously.

Also, keep your tires on the high points. Too many beginners think their tire won't go up that rock, root or embankment, but give no thought to where that same rock is under the vehicle if they steer the rubber around it.

Sponsored

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Nate, you can also get in touch cal association of four wheel drive clubs as most local clubs are members. They will have a lot of info of trails in your area

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Understand that often gear reduction - NOT momentum - is your friend. There are times when you have to scramble or keep your speed up but beginners want to "just get through" everything instantaneously.

Also, keep your tires on the high points. Too many beginners think their tire won't go up that rock, root or embankment, but give no thought to where that same rock is under the vehicle if they steer the rubber around it.
Exactly! And know your low points (axle differentials and drive shafts in the middle, and shock mounts just inside of your tires. You have the most clearance at the rocker panels or where your tires are and you can get home with a dent but not with a broken driveshaft or axle.

Some things I do that I did not see mentioned:
1. Just because I turn off the pavement onto a logging, or fire road, I don't engage 4WD until needed. No need for additional wear and tear, and reduced fuel economy until 2WD is no longer effective. If the terrain still allows going 15-20 mph use 4H and turn traction control off.
If you are in sand or go thru a wet spot you don't want traction control cutting engine power, you want to keep your tires churning. When terrain gets where its too rough and slowing down to a crawl is required to keep from pounding you and your jeep to death..... Stop and put it in low range.
2. When required to turn around or turn sharp. If traction is not an issue I switch back to 2WD and try it first. This reduces wear and tear or slight binding that is normal when turning sharp in 4WD. It may make your front axle u joints last a little longer. If 2WD won't work, then i go back to 4WD and turn a little at a time doing a multi-point turn back and forth a few times to avoid turning all the way to the stops in 4WD.
3. CRAWL with your tires over obstacles sticking up that could whack into your axle or shock mounts. Don't try to straddle them. If you slip a little to one side or the other or can't get traction. Back up and approach again and a slightly different angle. If traction is the problem,
4. Once you are sure you are not going to slide off the obstacle and wind up in a bad situation.....Engage rear locker. If needed engage front locker but try to have your front tires as straight as possible. Once you get over the obstacle stop and disengage both lockers or at least the front locker. Its hard to steer with the front axle locked and you will feel it only wanting to go straight without resistance.
5. Don't go blazing thru a big mud hole at high speed. Assess the situation by prodding the mud hole with a stick. In my neck or the woods there could be a large rock or stump that will stop you quick then your're stuck and broke and may be walking home.

I thought my jeep was invincible when I got my first Wrangler 31 yrs ago..........until it was setting on the frame in the mud and I was waiting a couple hours on a sunday night (after walking a while to a house where i could use a phone) to get a ride home and had to go back to recover it with the calvary the next day after work. Ended up getting pulled out by a logging Skidder after pulling the bumper off the truck that tried to pull 2 of us out. A crossing of a grassy meadow that seamed so easy turned into a story I won't forget.

Last edited:

tdoga2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Exactly! And know your low points (axle differentials and drive shafts in the middle, and shock mounts just inside of your tires. You have the most clearance at the rocker panels or where you tires are and you can get home with a dent but not with a broken driveshaft or axle.

Some things I do that I did not see mentioned:
1. Just because I turn off the pavement onto a logging, or fire road, I don't engage 4WD until needed. No need for additional wear and tear, and reduced fuel economy until 2WD is no longer effective. If the terrain still allows going 15-20 mph use 4H and turn traction control off.
If you are in sand or go thru a wet spot you don't want traction control cutting engine power, you want to keep your tires churning. When terrain gets where its too rough and slowing down to a crawl is required to get from pounding you and your jeep to death..... Stop and put in low range.
2. When required to turn around or turn sharp. If traction is not an issue I switch back to 2WD and try it first. This reduces wear and tear or slight binding that is normal when turning sharp in 4WD. It may make your front axle u joints last a little longer. If 2WD won't work, then i go back to 4WD and turn a little at a time doing a multi-point turn back and forth a few times to avoid turning all the way to the stops in 4WD.
3. CRAWL with your tires over obstacles sticking up that could whack into your axle or shock mounts. Don't try to straddle them. If you slip a little to one side or the other or can't get traction. Back up and approach again and a slightly different angle. If traction is the problem,
4. Once you are sure you are not going to slide off the obstacle and wind up in a bad situation.....Engage rear locker. If needed engage front locker but try to have your front tires as straight as possible. Once you get over the obstacle stop and disengage both lockers or at least the front locker. Its hard to steer with the front axle locked and you will feel it only wanting to go straight without resistance.
5. Don't go blazing thru a big mud hole at high speed. Assess the situation by prodding the mud hole with a stick. In my neck or the woods there could be a large rock or stump that will stop you quick then your're stuck and broke and may be walking home.

I thought my jeep was invincible when I got my first Wrangler 31 yrs ago..........until it was setting on the frame in the mud and I was waiting a couple hours on a sunday night (after walking a while to a house where i could use a phone) to get a ride home and had to go back to recover it with the calvary the next day after work. Ended up getting pulled out by a logging Skidder after pulling the bumper off the truck that tried to pull 2 of us out. A crossing of a grassy meadow that seamed so easy turned into a story I won't forget.
Wow! What a story and some great information in here. Thank you!

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
My one piece of advice. It's your Jeep. And you're the driver. Don't let anyone talk you into doing something you're uncomfortable with. I love the ,"You can go through that obstacle easily, it's a Jeep." You make that decision for yourself.
Sponsored