Tinting headlights with LED Bulbs

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2016 Rubicon
I ordered a Rubicon with the stock headlight system. I was going to just replace the bulbs with LEDs but I've read how they can be a road hazzard. If I tint the headlightd while adding the LED bulbs will that resolve the road hazzard issue?

This will be my first Jeep so please bare with my nubie questions.
Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Laws regarding headlights vary state by state. In California, you can't legally change the color of the headlight. The is a range of acceptable whites...from LED whiteblue to traditional incandescent or white. I have not seen anyone change the color of their lights on Jeeps. The LED ring light is another story. Jeep owners out here like the multi-colored, RGB ring lights. However, the colorization is also not legal but not enforced unless being pulled over for something else. Much like front window tint.

With all that said, there are cars out here that run yellow tint on their lens covers. This does not effect the light of the headlight greatly but does provide a visual during the day.

OP
OP
RubiconRider

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
RubiconRider

RubiconRider

First Name
Deen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm asking if LED bulbs in the stock headlight housing are blinding to oncoming traffic (essentially meaning they're too bright) would tinting the headlights dim them enough so they are not blinding other drivers.

Yes the law says they're illegal, but so are most window tints.

Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The new LED headlights that are much brighter than headlights on previous Jeeps meet the current NHTSA standards. Both the NHTSA as well as SAE have been looking at options for reducing glare specifically on SUV with high mounted headlights like a JEEP.

The HID bulbs and LEDs are further intensified by a lift kit of course. Many people are adjusting their headlights down after lifts...others do not. However, the LED lights are an option for those that need that extra light. But they were designed to address the concern that previous lights on Jeeps were too dim on dark roads or trails so JEEP came up with the answer. But the aftermarket group solved that with tons of mounted LED bars :)

It sounds like a two sided argument. You don't want the regular headlights but want the newere LED, but the newer LED are too bright and you want to have the best of both worlds. Nothing wrong with that. There are many solutions.

Colored film as RubiconRider provided above. There are multiple colors. There are also clear filter films that will do the trick as well. The other option is add a resistor to the circuit. A variable one would be great...you could dial in your intensity. Not sure how the LEDs lights would like the drop in voltage but as long as you did not dip below the threshold voltage it should not be an issue.

In war time, physical plates were used that created a slit that formed the black out covers. Have not seen one for a JL yet.

However, if you are interested In LED lights and you aren't wanting to be the dude blinding those in front...the simple films might be the best answer for you.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Adding tint to a headlight will probably not fix the problem. The problem with adding a LED bulb to a halogen housing is the cut off. At the top of an oem headlight halogen, xenon, LED the light is cut off so there’s little glare. That’s not the case when you change from one bulb type to a different one it’s not designed for. Light spills out above the oem cut off and blinds on coming drivers. It’s become a very common problem.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The new LED headlights that are much brighter than headlights on previous Jeeps meet the current NHTSA standards. Both the NHTSA as well as SAE have been looking at options for reducing glare specifically on SUV with high mounted headlights like a JEEP.

The HID bulbs and LEDs are further intensified by a lift kit of course. Many people are adjusting their headlights down after lifts...others do not. However, the LED lights are an option for those that need that extra light. But they were designed to address the concern that previous lights on Jeeps were too dim on dark roads or trails so JEEP came up with the answer. But the aftermarket group solved that with tons of mounted LED bars :)

It sounds like a two sided argument. You don't want the regular headlights but want the newere LED, but the newer LED are too bright and you want to have the best of both worlds. Nothing wrong with that. There are many solutions.

Colored film as RubiconRider provided above. There are multiple colors. There are also clear filter films that will do the trick as well. The other option is add a resistor to the circuit. A variable one would be great...you could dial in your intensity. Not sure how the LEDs lights would like the drop in voltage but as long as you did not dip below the threshold voltage it should not be an issue.

In war time, physical plates were used that created a slit that formed the black out covers. Have not seen one for a JL yet.

However, if you are interested In LED lights and you aren't wanting to be the dude blinding those in front...the simple films might be the best answer for you.
"Many people are adjusting their headlights down after lifts"

Shit, I didnt even think to lower the beam...good call

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I do not have a lift, and I get flashed a LOT. I usually flash back just to show that my brights aren’t on, but I feel badly.

I wonder if aiming down a smidge would help... maybe FCA doesn’t adjust for the extra inch of height on a Rubi?
Sponsored