Sponsored

Timing chain or belt? Interference engine?

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Timing chain or belt? Is the 2.0T an interference engine?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
Its a timing chain (part number 7 below). In fact there's 2 chains in the cover, the main timing chain and another one to drive the oil pump (part 19). If you are replacing one, its probably a good idea to do both.

7ea322e4f2348af6b7be3719a8b20702.png

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
At least they are not driving the water pump off of the timing chain.

Sponsored

tadeh17

First Name
tadeh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat
I personally think that it's a timing chain

Last edited:

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I believe both the 2.0 and the 3.6 use a chain
Yes, both use a chain. If you have a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost, then the water pump is driven off the timing chain. When that pump fails, it pays 15 hours to change it. So, expect to see a $2K water pump by the time you buy the parts too.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, both use a chain. If you have a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost, then the water pump is driven off the timing chain. When that pump fails, it pays 15 hours to change it. So, expect to see a $2K water pump by the time you buy the parts too.
That is if it doesn't dump the coolant internally and trash the engine.
Its not just the Ecoboost either. All the Ford 3.5s are like that. We went through getting the water pump replaced on my son's 07 Edge last year. Luckiily it was dumping coolant externally.

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Any thoughts on what might be best practice for a replacement interval? 80k miles?

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Any thoughts on what might be best practice for a replacement interval? 80k miles?
If you have this or the 3.6motor, and you've kept it for 80K miles, and you anticipate keeping it for 80K more, you need to do this when faced with your fist expensive repair: Pull that bad boy out of there, put it on a stand, and and make sure the short block is OK.

If that's OK, now rebuild the rest of it-- new turbo, spark plugs, timing chains, plastic oil filter housing, rebuild the heads, new lifters & cams... Replace pretty much anything else you can't get to with the engine in the unit. Because if you don't do it all at once, you'll end up doing it all separately, and that costs waaay more..

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
If the V6 uses a chain and you can run it to 300K then you can do the same thing with the 2.0 L Turbo. Why wouldn't you be able to? And don't say Turbocharger, that's total BS. People have been getting 250, 300K miles and more out of turbochargers for years, and years. Anybody that thinks that doesn't know anything about todays turbochargers. I have 276K on one now and it will most likely see 300K & more, and it's on a 30yr old truck. Ford tested their ecoboost motors to 250K before they ever released them to the public and the turbos did just fine. For some reason, I guess lack of educating themselves people think that turbochargers are these super complex, intricate monstrosities that they stick on ICE engines. When they are the exact opposite. They are one of the most simplistic mechanical devices ever put on a ICE engine. Seriously what's in there, a compressor wheel, and exhaust turbine, a through shaft and a couple bearings and 2 housing half's. That's it, that's the turbocharger. The wastegate, weather or not it is oil cooled to the bearings, water cooled, air to air intercooled really makes no difference these are all sub systems that are even less complicated than the turbo itself. Think about it, so your intercooler fails, whoopty fricken dooo, so you have a leak, find it put a new clamp on whatever, a hose, fixed. It will not cause turbo failure or engine failure. And with new engines like the 2.0 if you have water or oil cooling failure I am pretty sure the Comp. will let you know and as long as you are not an idiot and shut down it will be fixable. Plus these systems failing will not cause engine failure necessarily. Same with the wastegate. Plus I believe the 2.0L uses a Garrett turbo which is considered to be the best turbo MFG in the world, producing over 300 turbochargers per day worldwide to go on bran new vehicles, EVERY DAY!

Most of the time, especially many years ago with turbocharged car manufactures they didn't put enough into them, engine management speaking and even then failure was almost never the turbo itself, it was the management system that caused the failure. Usually the most common failure on any turbocharged ICE engine is fueling.
Todays management systems are 100 times better. Truth, I will take my turbo 4 over the V6 with cam issue, and total engine failure. (Nothing against the V6)

Sorry for the rant it just gets old, people stuck in the past talking about turbochargers as if they were doomed for failure any more than a N/A engine. Almost every single 18 wheeler on the road is turbocharged. My sister in-law has been driving truck for 25 years, every truck she has had was turbocharged. I have spoken to her about this issue, and she has told me NOT ONE TIME HAS THE TURBOCHARGER FAILED IN ONE HER BIG RIGS. Lots of other maintenance , not once the turbo. And you can go on and on. There is a guy that is retired that drives his F250 around the US and helps stranded motorist, he put over 1 Million miles on his F250 and the last time I read one of his posts he had yet to touch the turbocharger. Look at some of the Mercedes Benz turbo diesels, same thing. Oh wait, a million miles isn't good enough for you. So what is? Seriously, so if you get 300K out of most turbocharged engines, is this enough to stop all the uneducated saying don't buy a turbo, or it's going to break on you. Because if so then Schhhhhhh!!!! Cause they have already been getting this kinda of miles for years.

What else is there? Oh direct injection, so ok maybe spark plugs. Not carbon build up on the valves, the 2.0L was designed to not have this issue and if you do regular maintenance it should be fine. It also has beefed up block and heads and forged internals. So no need to go all crazy on that stuff either.

Last edited:

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
If the V6 uses a chain and you can run it to 300K then you can do the same thing with the 2.0 L Turbo. Why wouldn't you be able to?
I agree with @longfiredragon on this one. Typically timing belts have to be replaced every 100-120k miles but steel timing chains usually lasts much longer than that. 250k+ easily. The chain does stretch over time but its very small and the tensioners make up for that stretch. Usually the factory service manual should spell out a spec for them (e.g. if it stretched beyond XX mm or if the tensioner is maxed out ), then you'll have to replace them. However this is usually far beyond 80k.

I'm not aware of how hard the replacement is since there is a lot of crap bolted on this engine. In inline-4 cars i've worked on in the past, you can usually remove the cam cover and do the chain replacement without pulling the engine assembly from the car. Usually when replacing the chain, you replace the tensioners, guides and idlers as well since you are already in there.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This is incorrect. The ecoboost engine does not have the water pump located internally. The Duratec engine does. Also, this has nothing to do with the Jeep engine.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is incorrect. The ecoboost engine does not have the water pump located internally. The Duratec engine does. Also, this has nothing to do with the Jeep engine.
Sorry for the typo. I stand corrected.
Sponsored