2019 JLU 2.0L TIMING CHAIN FAILURE

Red Ruby

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Our 2019 JLU with the 2.0 engine developed a 'mechanical' clicking noise from the engine area; Dealership said it was 'probably a fuel injector issue.' Further investigation led them to state "Timing Chain Failure." When this occurred, in mid-June 2021, they estimated "two to three weeks for parts" identified as the Timing Chain, associated Pullies, and Tensioner. Three weeks later they stated "all parts on-hand, with the exception of one of the [two] Timing Chain Tensioners." This part, they indicated, had an "estimated first delivery availability of Mid-September." Several other dealerships confirmed that one part availability, with several stating "appears to have had a very high demand." All Dealerships stated "no Technical Bulletin or Notice regarding the 2.0 Engine." Anyone else out there having these kinds of difficulties with the 2.0? Jeep parts availability? Seems if there is a higher than expected demand for this part, there MAY have been an issue across the board. ??
Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
2021 2.0t with 13k miles, no issues. Knock on wood.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
With the exception of the clicking noise, was the engine still running well when you brought it in?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh. This is the kind of stuff I was afraid of that kept me away from the 2.0T. It is a Fiat engine after all.

Hope the dealer takes care of you, gets the Jeep fixed without issue and back on the road soon. 👍

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
What oil were you running (out of curiosity)?

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also curious about how it was running and performing. On far too many occasions, I've read about dealers having a knee jerk reaction and replacing starters and alternators, when the root cause turned out to be a weakened set of batteries.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Had problems with your Fiat?
Yes. The water pump had to be replaced twice: at 4,000 miles, and again at 4,300 miles.

To be fair, the second time it failed was the dealer’s doing. Although they never owned to it, they didn’t seat the pump properly the first time. I could tell this from the second work order they asked me to sign.

All in all, my Spider has turned out much more reliable than I had anticipated.

Sponsored

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
@Red Ruby , is there an update to your situation? These engines seem to make a lot of noise, the 2 common sources of noise are.

1. Cold start injector noise
2. Rattling of waste-gate and/or waste-gate actuator linkage

I have not heard about timing chain failures given its a pretty simple design. As these engines get higher mileage put on them, i would expect more failure modes to develop over time. It will be good to get more knowledge out in the public as things fails so that we can find a pattern.

Last edited:

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Ugh. This is the kind of stuff I was afraid of that kept me away from the 2.0T. It is a Fiat engine after all.

Hope the dealer takes care of you, gets the Jeep fixed without issue and back on the road soon. 👍
Fiat engine that has been used for years...it is not new just new to Jeep.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Yes. The water pump had to be replaced twice: at 4,000 miles, and again at 4,300 miles.

To be fair, the second time it failed was the dealer’s doing. Although they never owned to it, they didn’t seat the pump properly the first time. I could tell this from the second work order they asked me to sign.

All in all, my Spider has turned out much more reliable than I had anticipated.
That sucks. I'm a new owner of an ND2, so we have quite a bit of car parts in common.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Fiat engine that has been used for years...it is not new just new to Jeep.
Well, if you think of it, a “Fiat engine that has been used for years...” provides very little reassurance in itself... :LOL:

But I kid, of course...

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon