Sponsored

This 6 Speed is...interesting.

Robe81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Before I start...bear in mind this is going entirely off the screen that shows your immediate MPG...has the little green half circle for visual effect.

So now that I've had my JLU w/6 speed for 5 months, I felt like I had firmly settled in with where I want to shift gears, essentially shifting as the RPMs go above 2k. I almost never get above 55 mph in my daily commute so usually 4th is all I need. Something like this:

1st: 0-8 mph
2nd: 8-20 mph
3rd: 21-40 mph
4th: 40-55 mph
5th: 55-65 mph
6: All others

Then other day I'm driving on a solid 55 mph speed limit road and I'm drifting between 50-60 mph with no traffic. However, I noticed that it didn't quite feel right when I shifted into 5th...kinda like the Jeep didnt like it. Wasn't lugging or anything obviously but still didn't feel right. So I put it on the screen referenced at the beginning and I'm noticing I'm getting better instant mpg in 4th all the way up to 62 mph than I am in 5th. I've never had anything remotely considered a "high revving" vehicle...but a Jeep?

Anyways, I said all that to just ask what everyone else's shift patterns look like.

Cheers!
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Interesting about the MPG figures. I usually shift around 3000 RPM, which is close to the shift points recommended in the Owners Manual. I was never sure what gearing those figures are for - maybe a compromise - but they seem more or less ok to me.

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 11.50.46 AM.png

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Before I start...bear in mind this is going entirely off the screen that shows your immediate MPG...has the little green half circle for visual effect.

So now that I've had my JLU w/6 speed for 5 months, I felt like I had firmly settled in with where I want to shift gears, essentially shifting as the RPMs go above 2k. I almost never get above 55 mph in my daily commute so usually 4th is all I need. Something like this:

Then other day I'm driving on a solid 55 mph speed limit road and I'm drifting between 50-60 mph with no traffic. However, I noticed that it didn't quite feel right when I shifted into 5th...kinda like the Jeep didnt like it. Wasn't lugging or anything obviously but still didn't feel right. So I put it on the screen referenced at the beginning and I'm noticing I'm getting better instant mpg in 4th all the way up to 62 mph than I am in 5th. I've never had anything remotely considered a "high revving" vehicle...but a Jeep?

Anyways, I said all that to just ask what everyone else's shift patterns look like.

Cheers!
I shift around 3k, and I downshift if the RPMs drop below 2k because I find the engine starts lugging under 2k in the higher gears.

OP
OP
Robe81

Robe81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Interesting about the MPG figures. I usually shift around 3000 RPM, which is close to the shift points recommended in the Owners Manual. I was never sure what gearing those figures are for - maybe a compromise - but they seem more or less ok to me.

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 11.50.46 AM.png
Yeah...it just amazes me after the last couple Rubicons how this JLU can rev and still get 25 mpg. A great design so far!

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The high gears in a sahara are not a good combo for the 6 speed, IMO. My rubicon with 4:10 are too high for me, I couldn't imagine 3.45s.

Having said that, for some reason I tend to get slightly better mileage in 6th as opposed to 5th, not sure why. Because it's so low in the RPM range that it's damn near lugging it, haha.

I will agree the MPG is impressive. Never thought I'd actually get 22-23 on the highway with a jeep.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
The high gears in a sahara are not a good combo for the 6 speed, IMO. My rubicon with 4:10 are too high for me, I couldn't imagine 3.45s.

Having said that, for some reason I tend to get slightly better mileage in 6th as opposed to 5th, not sure why. Because it's so low in the RPM range that it's damn near lugging it, haha.

I will agree the MPG is impressive. Never thought I'd actually get 22-23 on the highway with a jeep.
I remember driving a 3:45 in a Sahara, after that, I was convinced the Rubicon was the only way to go

Whaddya think would be optimal?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I remember driving a 3:45 in a Sahara, after that, I was convinced the Rubicon was the only way to go

The RPMs of a Rubicon are slightly less than 15% higher than what you would see with a Sahara, so its not a huge difference, assuming factory tire sizes.

While I did find the Rubicons I drove to be acceptable for daily driving, I'd like to see how the 3.73 axles in the Gladiators and the upcoming Willy's drives.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
While I did find the Rubicons I drove to be acceptable for daily driving, I'd like to see how the 3.73 axles in the Gladiators and the upcoming Willy's drives.
I believe the only JLs with the 3.73 will be the diesel models. All 3.6 and 2.0 JL models have 3.45 or (anything but Rubicon) or 4.10 (Rubicon).

So AFAIK, there is no way to get 3.73 gears with a 6MT in the JL, only the JT. Which is a shame, because 3.73 seems like it would be a better match to the 6MT than 3.45.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the only JLs with the 3.73 will be the diesel models. All 3.6 and 2.0 JL models have 3.45 or (anything but Rubicon) or 4.10 (Rubicon).

So AFAIK, there is no way to get 3.73 gears with a 6MT in the JL, only the JT.
The Willy's is rumored to have 3.73s, but its hard to find actual data on that one, If not then I'll just test drive a Gladiator one day.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The Willy's is rumored to have 3.73s, but its hard to find actual data on that one, If not then I'll just test drive a Gladiator one day.
The Sept order guide includes the Willys, but it makes no mention of a 3.73 axle. It has the 3.45 axle listed as standard equipment.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

If you do some searching you'll find a few threads talking about this, all good stuff. I think 4:56 with 33s and 4:88s with 35s might be the sweet spot for these engines, but I'm not an expert, just reading up on this and getting opinions. This type of swap would equal slightly less MPG on the highway, from what it sounds, but who cares. Much more useable.
Here's one thread I found:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4-56-regear-done-with-6-speed-manual.36746/

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

So AFAIK, there is no way to get 3.73 gears with a 6MT in the JL, only the JT. Which is a shame, because 3.73 seems like it would be a better match to the 6MT than 3.45.
For what it's worth, I think 4:10s are too high in my rubi. Stock 33" tires. Upgrading your jeep to 3:73s would be a complete waste of money, me thinks....

With 4:10s and 33s:
1. Reverse is fooking worthless if I back up a hill steeper than 1degree or has anything larger than a pebble in the way. haha slipping clutch, etc. It's even worse with a little trailer hitched up. Even at idle, jeep is going too fast in reverse to be safe, i.e. if there are kids around. WTF is reverse so high geared? Stupid move on aisin's part.
2. Cannot start out in 2nd gear.
3. Cannot spin over all tires when stuck in snow with out revving engine then side-stepping the clutch. 4LO is worthless in snow, wayyy too low, no tire speed needed to get unstuck (this has happened to me) It's even worse in reverse.
4. 6th gear is still worthless unless doing 80mph. I literally shift from 6th to THIRD GEAR to pass. haha then it makes hp
5. Pulling a 2k lb motorcycle trailer is no fun. Cannot use 5th or 6th. Cannot pass. Do not collect $200.

Mine needs 4:56s, I think. Maybe even 4:88s?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you do some searching you'll find a few threads talking about this, all good stuff. I think 4:56 with 33s and 4:88s with 35s might be the sweet spot for these engines, but I'm not an expert, just reading up on this and getting opinions. This type of swap would equal slightly less MPG on the highway, from what it sounds, but who cares. Much more useable.
Here's one thread I found:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/4-56-regear-done-with-6-speed-manual.36746/
How much would regearing cost?

Definitely gonna keep that in mind

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For what it's worth, I think 4:10s are too high in my rubi. Stock 33" tires. Upgrading your jeep to 3:73s would be a complete waste of money, me thinks....

With 4:10s and 33s:
1. Reverse is fooking worthless if I back up a hill steeper than 1degree or has anything larger than a pebble in the way. haha slipping clutch, etc. It's even worse with a little trailer hitched up. Even at idle, jeep is going too fast in reverse to be safe, i.e. if there are kids around. WTF is reverse so high geared? Stupid move on aisin's part.
2. Cannot start out in 2nd gear.
3. Cannot spin over all tires when stuck in snow with out revving engine then side-stepping the clutch. 4LO is worthless in snow, wayyy too low, no tire speed needed to get unstuck (this has happened to me) It's even worse in reverse.
4. 6th gear is still worthless unless doing 80mph. I literally shift from 6th to THIRD GEAR to pass. haha then it makes hp
5. Pulling a 2k lb motorcycle trailer is no fun. Cannot use 5th or 6th. Cannot pass. Do not collect $200.

Mine needs 4:56s, I think. Maybe even 4:88s?
Now a rhetorical question for a rhetorical answer

Why are Rubi's and under 4.10 and 3.45's? Mpg's most likely
Sponsored