Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Background

Not that my JL is, or do I consider it particularly noisy. But for me, purchasing Headliners would be mostly about their sound, rather than heat dampening properties. South Florida and Texas residents, along with Arizonians: you have my complete understanding that the opposite might be true for you.

Maybe I don't represent any where near a consensus, but one of the reasons I'd be hesitant about installing Headliners is their relative permanence. Sure, some attach with Velcro, and can be removed, but even for them, the side of the Velcro that attaches to the hard top is adhesive—which can be work to remove, and reinstall if removing them proves wrong.

Let's just say that some chemicals “known by the State of California” (boy do Californians "know" a lot about this stuff) to help remove adhesive might not be subject to the content of beverages or air fresheners.

I guess that despite a history of buying and holding my vehicles, I take care of them not simply so they will last, but in light of having the option to sell them to a second owner (as opposed to the salvage yard.) Though I make the rig my own, I tend towards reversible mods or ones that are permanent, but not poorly ones accepted by the masses.

Idea

It's with this mind that I seek your thoughts on the use of Command Strips

https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/products/~/Command-Medium-Picture-Hanging-Strips/?N=5924736+3294529207+3294774739&preselect=8706801+3293786499&rt=rud

to secure a headliner, not that I can't already site some concerns including that

• they might be thicker that other installation options, distancing the heat/sound dampening properties of the headliner, or

• less than conducive to maintaining their adhesion give the temperature fluctuations inside a vehicle as opposed to a home, or

• far more expensive per linear foot than other options, and a fair number will be needed, or

• not designed for other than vertical placement
But they are strong and not permanent.

I've tried to consider alternatives, from painting the inside of the hard top with magnetic paint, or the use of suction cups to keep headliners in place, whose hold ability is bound to be compromised by the less than smooth surface inside the hard top.

And it's not just for me. I make product too.

Thoughts? I'm first to admit the idea may have limitations so feel free to concur, just please do so nicely.

Thanks.
Sponsored

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
What do you think about the idea of not attaching the headliner to the hard top but instead having something like the sunscreens you see people use in the summer but instead a semi rigid sound deadener that sits on top of the sport bar and attaches with straps the same way. All kinds of cool fabrics could be used to personalize. It could be two pieces or one long one. It could possibly roll up or a least fold up when you dont want it.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
What do you think about the idea of not attaching the headliner to the hard top but instead having something like the sunscreens you see people use in the summer but instead a semi rigid sound deadener that sits on top of the sport bar and attaches with straps the same way. All kinds of cool fabrics could be used to personalize. It could be two pieces or one long one. It could possibly roll up or a least fold up when you dont want it.
I suppose you could fab up a "poor man's temporary headliner" by installing a sunshade, putting some flexible foam/ insulation board on top, and then putting the hardtop back on sandwiching it in between.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Strong suggestions, especially for soft tops in Winter*

* Winter meaning not areas where people put their soft tops on in Winter, like Arizona, where it's finally cooled down enough from summer.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Background

Not that my JL is, or do I consider it particularly noisy. But for me, purchasing Headliners would be mostly about their sound, rather than heat dampening properties. South Florida and Texas residents, along with Arizonians: you have my complete understanding that the opposite might be true for you.

Maybe I don't represent any where near a consensus, but one of the reasons I'd be hesitant about installing Headliners is their relative permanence. Sure, some attach with Velcro, and can be removed, but even for them, the side of the Velcro that attaches to the hard top is adhesive—which can be work to remove, and reinstall if removing them proves wrong.

Let's just say that some chemicals “known by the State of California” (boy do Californians "know" a lot about this stuff) to help remove adhesive might not be subject to the content of beverages or air fresheners.

I guess that despite a history of buying and holding my vehicles, I take care of them not simply so they will last, but in light of having the option to sell them to a second owner (as opposed to the salvage yard.) Though I make the rig my own, I tend towards reversible mods or ones that are permanent, but not poorly ones accepted by the masses.

Idea

It's with this mind that I seek your thoughts on the use of Command Strips

https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/products/~/Command-Medium-Picture-Hanging-Strips/?N=5924736+3294529207+3294774739&preselect=8706801+3293786499&rt=rud

to secure a headliner, not that I can't already site some concerns including that

• they might be thicker that other installation options, distancing the heat/sound dampening properties of the headliner, or

• less than conducive to maintaining their adhesion give the temperature fluctuations inside a vehicle as opposed to a home, or

• far more expensive per linear foot than other options, and a fair number will be needed, or

• not designed for other than vertical placement
But they are strong and not permanent.

I've tried to consider alternatives, from painting the inside of the hard top with magnetic paint, or the use of suction cups to keep headliners in place, whose hold ability is bound to be compromised by the less than smooth surface inside the hard top.

And it's not just for me. I make product too.

Thoughts? I'm first to admit the idea may have limitations so feel free to concur, just please do so nicely.

Thanks.
I use Command Strips in my motorhome all the time . they're great until they're not. Additionally I don't think the hardtop surface is ideal for Command Strips.
I'm happy with the Hothead adhesive strips.
If the fail you can always remove and refinish your headliner.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I agree and good point: lack of smooth texture might make product more subject to give...that and motion: not that I intend to leave me JL anywhere but in my driveway and admire it;)

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
The "Achilles Heel" in the Sunshade supported foam between the Sports Bar and interior top might lie (no pun intended) in the inability for much in the way of attachment points behind the Sports Bar for said cushion to lie.

I'm thinking though that some small metal strips pointed to the sky and attached to suction cups on a hard top's interior back window, might allow such attachment points.
Sponsored