Shub_32

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
Mod all done. Spent a little more on better quality leds. Can’t believe Jeep has still not added light to the overhead pillar. Big difference but my lights are whiter than the factory leds. $20 mod well worth it

CDB2BE0A-6A4B-4385-A2E2-550EACC38857.jpeg

E2F81ECA-AE40-4A69-8D8E-358F2B7C94AB.png
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: zyt

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shub_32

Glad you got-er done.. So, what did you end up tapping into for your 12v power.

OP
OP
Shub_32

Shub_32

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Runicon
So I pulled the trim off above the dome light. I accidentally separated the dome light wires from the harness. Luckily there was 1/2 inch left so I just tapped into those and spliced everything together.

Reactions: zyt

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
Are you guys using a relay in your setup? I have done a similar setup where I run a relay off either the ambient or courtesy (I forget which one I used but think it was the courtesy) and use a direct battery lead to power the additional lighting. It works - when I open the doors the lights power up. My problem is that the relay buzzes loudly for about 3 seconds.

I changed relays to an Elk 928 and it’s worse, if I use the remote to unlock the relay keeps buzzing until I open a door!

Can anyone shed any light on this relay behaviour? Could it be varying voltage in the courtesy light circuit?

mid there a better way to do this?

Sponsored

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7

Kpbergma

First Name
Karel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKUS, 20 JLUR
@Shub_32
@ECHO

Well, yes but .. BUT you need to make a decision whether you want the foot well 12v power source from ..... Ambient or Courtesy.

See pic below, make a decision and have at it

Footwell-wires.jpeg
Just a head’s up. I have a 2020 JLUR and the wiring in the driver’s side footwell was reversed compared to this. Ambient was white/green and Courtesy was the yellow wire.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
This timer relay should resolve issues due to dome light dimming off. No capacitor needed. program for trigger function with timer delay off. the relay is latching type so dimming wont cause chattering, and it lets you set timer for when your relay powered device will switch off, even allowing for your own dimming.
http://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-3V-18V-Time-Delay-Relay-Timer-5-amp_p_12.html
I got their Wi-Fi programmable relay timer (check their website) Good for 10 A. Amazing little device. I have it set so that when the dome lights come on for any reason it triggers my rock lights to come on, they’ll remain on until 60 seconds after dome lights go off, And then the rock lights fade off in four seconds. This device has 32 programming functions.

Last edited:

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
Ok just ordered it. Will reply back as soon as I get it swapped in. Thanks very much!
Ok reporting back... it worked perfectly! Excellent! Thank you!

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Hey guys, want to tap into the courtesy lights on passenger side to add some lights. Are those connectors in the pictures on both sides? Thanks

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Hey guys, want to tap into the courtesy lights on passenger side to add some lights. Are those connectors in the pictures on both sides? Thanks
Yes, there is a courtesy light in both footwells, either side will work. Depending on which trim level you have there could be two or three wires to the light.

Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Just be aware the theater dim module doesn’t like a whole lot more draw, you could run a couple small lights off of the circuit but that’s all. I use it to control a solid state relay and use that to run the step lights. I tried running a Brawlee tailgate light bar off the circuit and that didn’t work.

Gregj

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Gregj thanks you seem very knowledgeable. I’m adding two KC V1 cyclone rock lights one on each side on my sliders. My plan is to have them activate off the courtesy light as a entry/exit light. But also have them wired to an aux switch so I can use them as rock lights. Do you have any suggestions how to accomplish this. Maybe a diode if that circuit will support my rock lights. If not relay ? It would be cool if I could keep the courtesy fade out on the rock lights.

Last edited:

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Another thing to keep in mind is if you are going to take your doors off or not. I taped into the wiring loom at the door for positive for the switch of my ARB compressor (Not the main power of course) only to find out that the lead does not work if the doors are off.
Sponsored