Sponsored

Tallish dudes: How do you set your seat?

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
I’m 6’1” and new to owning a Wrangler. I’ve had some small cars, F-150, Suburban, Yukon Denali, Lexus ES, and taken many road trips in German sedans. I cannot for the life of me get my seat to sit what feels right haha. I got the Desert Does It Shorty front seat jackers and it really seemed to help my lower back and overall comfort, but I still feel like when I get it to feel comfortable I’m sitting really high, which is kind of uncomfortable in a way. Never had this issue before. Is this how Wrangler seating position is supposed to be? It’s the first vehicle I’ve never felt like I sink down into
Sponsored

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I'm 6'5" and my Rubi fits me perfect, almost like it was built for me. The seats go back and recline plenty far I set down into as so the arm rest is good and view of dash is great plus placement of other controls on dash for radio and such are all just right. I guess I just really like my Jeep!

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
6'3. I have it all the way down and all the way back but set the recline to a somewhat upright position. I can see all the info on the screen between the gauges. I am good in it through whole tanks of fuel on long runs. I find it quite comfortable actually.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
6'4" and have love the seating position. For me, the fact that you dont 'sink in' is a plus. Most vehicles feel like sitting on a sofa to me. These are firm, but still hold you in place whilst bouncing around off road. And the upright position gives you excellent sight lines out the windows. The only thing that improved it for me was adding a dead pedal.

Really?AJeep?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Fusion, '97 F-150, '07 Cummins, '22 JLR
6'1 and have the seat jackers but still sitting really high, in the same boat where it just feels wierd like I'm sitting ON the Jeep, not IN it. My sight line is near the top of the windows and top of my head is about 4" from the roof. I must be the long torso crowd. Going to bite the bullet and get the seat slammers, don't think it can hurt as I still have the whole up range to play with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dougywarren

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
6'1 and have the seat jackers but still sitting really high, in the same boat where it just feels wierd like I'm sitting ON the Jeep, not IN it. My sight line is near the top of the windows and top of my head is about 4" from the roof. I must be the long torso crowd. Going to bite the bullet and get the seat slammers, don't think it can hurt as I still have the whole up range to play with.
thats where I’m at. I also have a long torso. Grew up a swimmer and have that Michael Phelps thing with the stubby legs but long torso but I’m 1% as athletic as Phelps haha. The Shortys helped the pinch in my lower back I got from the stock seating position but I still can’t seem to get it right. My Jeep is new, surely there’s a break in period for the seats though?

OP
OP
dougywarren

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
6'3. I have it all the way down and all the way back but set the recline to a somewhat upright position. I can see all the info on the screen between the gauges. I am good in it through whole tanks of fuel on long runs. I find it quite comfortable actually.
I had mine set that way in most my vehicles, but for some reason that setting was killing my back in the JL :(

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am 6’0” and 200 lbs: I have no issues with the front seats.

Wrangler’s seating position is different from other vehicles: it is very upright, to help you see out when picking your lines on a trail.

It is pointless to attempt to sit like you do in other vehicles. Once you accept that, it becomes a matter of finding a comfortable position within those seating parameters.

Good luck.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I am 5'10" and I cannot get the seat low enough for my 32" inseam. I have the 1.25" seat jackers in hers and mine but I do not want to cut the rails for the seat slammers. What I plan on doing is to take the seat out and dremel one or maybe two teeth into the stop at the end of the bracket. That should let me lower the seat to where I want it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tallish dudes: How do you set your seat? InkedIMG_2432_LI
Jeep Wrangler JL Tallish dudes: How do you set your seat? InkedIMG_2431_LI
Jeep Wrangler JL Tallish dudes: How do you set your seat? InkedIMG_2428_LI

OP
OP
dougywarren

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
I am 6’0” and 200 lbs: I have no issues with the front seats.

Wrangler’s seating position is different from other vehicles: it is very upright, to help you see out when picking your lines on a trail.

It is pointless to attempt to sit like you do in other vehicles. Once you accept that, it becomes a matter of finding a comfortable position within those seating parameters.

Good luck.
That's kind of what I figured. So many modern vehicles have that high waist line now, and the bottom of the side window starts up almost at the shoulder for design and safety reasons. So that's probably one of my "uncomfortable" issues. As long as my back isn't being pinched, I can get used to sitting higher and enjoy it.

Sponsored

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
6’5: Seat is good. Have it set to second to last on the front/back slider. Lumber is a little low for me, but I have it set pretty aggressively. I like to sit upright, so tilt is minimal. Seat is in lowest height. Egress to the seat is fine, rollcage feels a little closer than in the old JK.

Two complaints. Seat does feel tilted forwards - on hour plus drives, I do feel like I’m slowly sliding forwards and out. Not noticeable around town. Got a pair of seat jackers that I intend to install before winter. Lumber is low. Would be great if I could adjust the height of the lumber about an inch or so.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
...rollcage feels a little closer than in the old JK.
It is.

In order to fit the 8-speed transmission, FCA had to lengthen the wheelbase and widen the transmission hump. This resulted in narrower footwells, and the seats being anchored 1 inch higher off the floor.

Not only do we sit higher up in JL, but the increased rake of the windscreen brings the windshield header closer to our foreheads.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I’m 6’1” and new to owning a Wrangler. I cannot for the life of me get my seat to sit what feels right haha. I got the Desert Does It Shorty front seat jackers and it really seemed to help my lower back and overall comfort, but I still feel like when I get it to feel comfortable I’m sitting really high, which is kind of uncomfortable in a way.

Never had this issue before. Is this how Wrangler seating position is supposed to be?
6'4" here.

I installed the v1.0 fixed front seat jacker accessory. This concurrently raised the front edge of the seat, and gave the sensation of lowering the seat cushion/seat back interface. This installation helped with my comfort level, but only to a point. As ergonomics and thus comfort are subjective, the capped utility, so to speak, of the seat jackers isn't really a complaint.

My JLU has the cloth seats, which are more comfortable IMO.

What I believe would be the best solution is a longer seat cushion, one that leaves less of a tall guy's hamstrings hanging in the wind. IOW, more thigh support. We're not likely to see that development, so we get by as best we can here.

Speaking of getting by:
Note that several reviews mention the material loss of headroom that occurs when the linked seat brackets are installed. Long-torso'd gentlemen, take note.

OP
OP
dougywarren

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
6'4" here.

I installed the v1.0 fixed front seat jacker accessory. This concurrently raised the front edge of the seat, and gave the sensation of lowering the seat cushion/seat back interface. This installation helped with my comfort level, but only to a point. As ergonomics and thus comfort are subjective, the capped utility, so to speak, of the seat jackers isn't really a complaint.

My JLU has the cloth seats, which are more comfortable IMO.

What I believe would be the best solution is a longer seat cushion, one that leaves less of a tall guy's hamstrings hanging in the wind. IOW, more thigh support. We're not likely to see that development, so we get by as best we can here.

Speaking of getting by:

Note that several reviews mention the material loss of headroom that occurs when the linked seat brackets are installed. Long-torso'd gentlemen, take note.
The leather does seem a bit stiff. Hopefully it breaks in
Sponsored