Sponsored

Tailgate Sag On New Jeep. Opinions Appreciated.

mcknight_14

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
United States Air Force
I am brand new to the forum and just purchased my 2019 Rubicon JLU the 18th of Feb. I bought this new from a dealership already lifted with 37" tires. I noticed the spare tire hitting the rear bumper when opening/closing the rear gate 2 days after purchasing it and realized that if I lifted up as I closed the rear gate that the spare did not rub. I did more research and found that the stock tire carrier is only rated for 85 lbs. I have 37" BFG KM3's E Class that weigh 75 pounds alone with 20x10 steel rims on the tire. I am certain that this combo exceeds the weight limit. The question that I am trying to ask is do any of you think this could be covered under the warranty to have a MOPAR tailgate reinforcement installed by the dealer to remedy the tailgate sag issue not to mention the overloaded tire carrier? I know this may be a longshot to have done I just didn't know if anyone else had experienced this same issue.

Another question is if they will not replace it how much of an issue could this cause over time with light to medium off-road use?

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
My opinion is that you bought it from a dealer already built, they are on the hook to make it right. There’s plenty of folks here with a 37 and zero issues. Most likely it’ll be an adjustment issue but if you word it right and let them know the back was only designed for a 33/35 max they might install a tailgate support for you. The mopar on has been shown to not give much support.

There are several companies that make products that are awesome for this.

Brett

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I am brand new to the forum and just purchased my 2019 Rubicon JLU the 18th of Feb. I bought this new from a dealership already lifted with 37" tires. I noticed the spare tire hitting the rear bumper when opening/closing the rear gate 2 days after purchasing it and realized that if I lifted up as I closed the rear gate that the spare did not rub. I did more research and found that the stock tire carrier is only rated for 85 lbs. I have 37" BFG KM3's E Class that weigh 75 pounds alone with 20x10 steel rims on the tire. I am certain that this combo exceeds the weight limit. The question that I am trying to ask is do any of you think this could be covered under the warranty to have a MOPAR tailgate reinforcement installed by the dealer to remedy the tailgate sag issue not to mention the overloaded tire carrier? I know this may be a longshot to have done I just didn't know if anyone else had experienced this same issue.

Another question is if they will not replace it how much of an issue could this cause over time with light to medium off-road use?

I played around with mine trying to adjust it to where it will not hit the bumper and close correctly.

The right answer is: you'll need to raise it up to keep it from hitting unless you run your spare with no air in it. So, you'll want, at a minimum, a riser kit.

The dealer isn't going to put a reinforcement kit on there for you. You might be able to talk them into one at cost though. I wouldn't worry about the weight limit of the tailgate unless you plan on adding a rack and carrying other things on top of the spare. There are a lot of guys running a 37" spare with zero issues, especially those who have purchased a riser. My opinion, is that you don't need the reinforcement kit. However, I got a smoking deal on one from this forum, so for peace of mind, I installed it. I'm only at about 1500 miles since I put my suspension and 37's on. Once I got the adjustment of the tailgate down where it closes like stock, I haven't experienced anymore sagging problems. That's not to say 30k miles from now I won't have an issue, but right now, all is perfect. Also, the tailgate reinforcement kit from MOPAR doesn't have anything to do with sag. It's to prevent twisting/buckling of the tailgate.

If you truly want to prevent sag, you'll need a carrier that either mounts to the bumper, frame, or one that replaces the factory hinges.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Forgot to answer the last question.

If you own a Jeep, you will experience sag over the years. It's the same as some older cars where the doors start to sag. The hinges, bushings, and hardware will need to be adjusted, replaced, and maintained. For a new Jeep, you won't have any issues for a long time. Of course, mounting a heavy tire/wheel combo + off-road use accelerates this.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED

Sponsored

OP
OP
mcknight_14

mcknight_14

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
United States Air Force
Awesome, Thanks to you all it gives me a lot to think consider.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
You've got it ALL WRONG !

No matter the tire/wheel weight--if you let it REST on the bumper, there won't be any stress/strain on the STOCK CARRIER--I've only mentioned this 6 frickin times and this makes 7--

My 35" HANKOOK/PROCOMP tires weigh 95 lbs and there's no problem with the stock spare carrier-

https://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm83/jimbowby/2018 JEEP JL RUBICON/SUNP0230_zps5mj7r3kq.jpg

W.E.

JIMBO
I agree with you and that's a great work-around. I just don't like the idea of the tire sitting on the bumper.

The tire shouldn't touch anything except the bumpers on the tailgate.