Sponsored

Tail gate hard to open

First Name
antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl wrangler unlimited sport
Opening up the tailgate i have To pull so hard it feels like I’m gonna break the handle... anyone else with this problem
Sponsored

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Opening up the tailgate i have To pull so hard it feels like I’m gonna break the handle... anyone else with this problem
I've had the same problem. I read on this forum of others having the same problem. What works is putting a little lubricant on the latch located on the left side of the tailgate opening. Hope this works.

KODIAK

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I've had the same problem. I read on this forum of others having the same problem. What works is putting a little lubricant on the latch located on the left side of the tailgate opening. Hope this works.
Did this work for you Themanwiththeplan1986, because mine is the same way?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@KODIAK

Both the latch and the plastic guide on the rear door are adjustable. You might find that loosening both, adjusting a tad, may remedy the issue. No harm in trying...

I had a slight creak, rattle in the back when I went over rough roads. Made a couple of trial and error adjustments of the latch and guide and now, no more creak or rattle..

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@KODIAK

Both the latch and the plastic guide on the rear door are adjustable. You might find that loosening both, adjusting a tad, may remedy the issue. No harm in trying...

I had a slight creak, rattle in the back when I went over rough roads. Made a couple of trial and error adjustments of the latch and guide and now, no more creak or rattle..
I have been dealing with that same creak. Think the guide is rubbing on the bottom edge of the door. I'll have to try adjust it. I have been placing a piece of paint protection film in there and it works for several weeks but wears out and starts creaking again.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rob

You can do no harm fooling with either the plastic guide or the latch.

YES, you will have to fool them once you loosen them and change the adjustment.

It took me, probably 10 times adjusting each, to get things where the rear door closed tight, and then no creaks, rattles on various terrain. I kept a ratchet, etc. in the back of the JL, so I could change settings while on the road lets say. Eventually, I got it!

By the way, if you are getting a creak, in the interior rear on either side and you are trying to find...... do try slightly loosening the torx bolts that hold down the hard top. I also remedied a slight creak back by doing this. I thought the creak sound was coming from the rear, black plastic panel, but as soon a I slightly loosened the torx bolts for the hard top, the creak stopped.

Presently, my 2 dr. JL is driving with no interior creaks, squeaks or rattles. Why such drive me crazy I don't know, but they do.

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for your tips, I hate creaks. I find two areas that creep back, my Jeep normally drives so great. The other place is over the drivers side removable top panel near the latch. Every once in a while I have to remove the panel and wipe down the rubber gasket. It must get dust in there, my climate is super dry. Replace the top and its perfect. The service manager at my local Dealership cracked me up. I asked if they could check for the creak in the rear door area. After they finished an oil change and tire rotation he said they drove it on there parking lot rattle stip. They couldn't reproduce the issue. He said, " you know its a Jeep, they make a lot of noises." Funny that on my drive home every bumpy section in the roadway reproduced the creaking sound. With his attitude all I did was fix the issue myself and requested another service manager on my next visit. I think he got the message.

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ok I finally took the time to tweak the plastic guide that secures the rear door. I was having problems with the rear door sticking and a creaking sound coming from that area. Like others suggested I put some grease on the bottom of the latch and the rear door sticking issue went away for awhile. But the creaking sound kept coming back. it would go away when I added some paint protection film on the edge of the door but came back as the film got worn. So thanks to Rhinebecks motivation I used a 10mm socket and raised the plastic catch about an 1/8 of an inch up. I immediately noticed that my rear door opened easier and the creaking noise disappeared while driving. The photo shows some tape I used to mark the original location in case I need to put it back.
Hope this helps others with similar issues.
IMG_8438.JPG

tjrider99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Subaru, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Yes, I have the same problem . Did you ever figure out a solution?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the opposite issue, opens easily but you really need to push it to get a full latch. No big deal, a couple of my JK doors are hard to close. Or I'm just getting weaker as my age advances.

OffRoadStevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangle Rubicon Unlimited
@Rob

You can do no harm fooling with either the plastic guide or the latch.

YES, you will have to fool them once you loosen them and change the adjustment.

It took me, probably 10 times adjusting each, to get things where the rear door closed tight, and then no creaks, rattles on various terrain. I kept a ratchet, etc. in the back of the JL, so I could change settings while on the road lets say. Eventually, I got it!

By the way, if you are getting a creak, in the interior rear on either side and you are trying to find...... do try slightly loosening the torx bolts that hold down the hard top. I also remedied a slight creak back by doing this. I thought the creak sound was coming from the rear, black plastic panel, but as soon a I slightly loosened the torx bolts for the hard top, the creak stopped.

Presently, my 2 dr. JL is driving with no interior creaks, squeaks or rattles. Why such drive me crazy I don't know, but they do.

Squeaks and rattles totally drive me nuts too! Thank you for the advice on this, made the adjustment myself and now all the noises are gone! Now I can sleep at night LOL
Sponsored