Swap soft top for hardtop

jkelaghan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK / 2019 JL Rubicon (both 2 door)
Do i have to remove all of the soft top hardware to install the hardtop on a 2 door Rubicon JL? (window surrounds, rear soft top track/rail, bracket lowered top locking thing) ? thanks!!
Sponsored

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
Yes you will need to remove the frame portion of the soft top, this includes the door surroundings and rear window braces.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
One thing that's fine to remain are the brackets which attach to the Sports Bar in back.

OP
OP

jkelaghan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK / 2019 JL Rubicon (both 2 door)
Yes you will need to remove the frame portion of the soft top, this includes the door surroundings and rear window braces.
Thanks! ok so its fine to leave the brackets that top pivots on correct? the ones with the locks.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks! ok so its fine to leave the brackets that top pivots on correct? the ones with the locks.
Actually Jeff no. The brackets that are ok to remain are the ones that the two "locks" (one on each side) screw into.

The brackets that the top pivots on, that, as you describe lock, are integral to the soft top and come off with it and remain attach to the soft top at all times, whether that soft top is in service, or sitting in the garage during the winter.

Since a picture's worth a 1000 words, the brackets that are getting installed here are the ones that need not be removed when the hard top's installed. They can be taken off when the hard top's installed, but it isn't mandatory.:)

Last edited:

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Actually Jeff no. The brackets that are ok to remain of the ones that the two "locks" (one on each side) screw into.

The brackets that the top pivots on, that, as you describe lock, are integral to the soft top and come off with it and remain attach to the soft top at all times, whether that soft top is in service, or sitting in the garage during the winter.

Since a picture's worth a 1000 words, the brackets that are getting installed here are the ones that need not be removed when the hard top's installed. They can be taken off when the hard top's installed, but it isn't mandatory.:)

Its 4 30 AM and youre talkin about Jeeps! ? And Im listening ?! :facepalm:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Its 4 30 AM and youre talkin about Jeeps! ? And Im listening ?! :facepalm:
Not if you're "across the pond" (on business) my friend.;)

Last edited:

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Actually Jeff no. The brackets that are ok to remain are the ones that the two "locks" (one on each side) screw into.

I saw this video, and am wondering how much different the procedure is for the 2 door?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So what youre sayin is " Im the one who needs to get a life " ;)
Let's see it this way. It's 2AM, I'm up to pass water and I'm thinking about my Jeep.

It is the norm, not the exception to be this way.;)

It is not "OCD" to think about your Wrangler all the time; rather it is "lack of attention to detail" for the owner/operator who merely uses it to get from point A to B.;)

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I'd imagine little. I source this claim here::)

Thanks, I meant the actual removal of the entire soft top, not just putting it down. As far as I can tell from watching the 4 door video the only difference is an extra piece of the frame which covers the length of the extra set of doors. I’m sure it will be obvious when I remove it, I was just hoping for a video of the process on a 2dr.
Sponsored