Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Guys: I’m not sure I’ll leave this on when I put my hardtop back on or not (the JTOP), but I’m wondering if I should order it with the Freedom Panel port or not. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I have yet to put my new OEM top on (Dual top group - took delivery 2 months ago), but with all of the plastic around the doors and bolted on clips on back, I don’t think I’ll be interchangeably swapping my hard and soft top. I never used my soft top on my JK, but I think I will on my JL. That being said, maybe I skip the ports and just have that totally clean top.

Btw, I watched a soft top install last night; do the plastic door surrounds interfere with the JTOP buckles at all? Also it says they aren’t compatible with Mopar grab handles, which I have. But I found a YouTube video of a guy that had those and he seemed to make it work. Thoughts there? I’m going to order my JTOP tonight. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
@Jammer When I had my JK, I bought a spider sunshade for a 2 Dr JK and jury rigged it down the back of the roll cage at an angle so my dog was fully in the shade too.

As I haven’t used it in some time, I’d be happy to send it to you for free. Someone sent me a set of stainless bolts for my AEV wheels, and it’s time to pay it forward. It’s almost brand new, and it’s gray. I appreciate that you have a service dog, and that you take it with you. PM your address if you’d like it. If it doesn’t work, pay it forward to someone else.
Can you show me a photo of it that would be so nice thank you

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Ok, am I missing something obvious? How do you latch the back freedom panel latches? Not the ones with the optional cutout…the ones by the grab handles?

Sponsored

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Ok, am I missing something obvious? How do you latch the back freedom panel latches? Not the ones with the optional cutout…the ones by the grab handles?
I forgot about those corner releases; the Spider allows you to get your hands back in there to release those. How does that work with a JTOP with its full coverage?

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
So, as I'm sitting here watching everyone else get their 2022 Jeep built or delivered (Congratulations! :like:), while I'm going on 8 weeks waiting for my JLUR-XR to "gather" parts, I need to figure out which sunshade I should order (have to protect my Irish skin 🇮🇪). I previously had a Spiderwebshade on my 2012 JKR and liked it, but did get tired of launching Spiderballs all over the place when installing and uninstalling the sunshade.

Anybody have experience with both, or want to share their experience and/or opinion on why you went with one over the other? I appreciate all you good JL Wrangler Forum people. You have already helped me spend over $3k before they even started building my Jeep. :rock: Cheers! 🍻
Spiderwebshade has a new mounting system for the jl, no more spider balls. Very clean and easy mounts. I leave it on always, stays nice and tight, no sagging.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I forgot about those corner releases; the Spider allows you to get your hands back in there to release those. How does that work with a JTOP with its full coverage?
You pretty much push them closed or open through the material itself. It’s not super difficult but not as easy as I’d like.

The Jtop is very, very well built though. I just put it on the other day and was impressed by the quality of the materials used. I had originally ordered the Alien shade a while back and then returned it. The alien was thinner material. I think it sat lower as well, reducing head room. The Jtops sits on top of the rollbar, so any lost headroom is extremely minimal.

Booger sugar

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD
I run a Jtop and I have a hard top & a soft top the Jtop does not interfere with either tops opening/closing and if you do some mods later on I.E. gmrs antenna or run a wire it's easy to unclip the Jtop fold it back and do your install when finished just clip it all back on

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I appreciate all of the feedback. I ordered my Jtop a couple of weeks ago; owner said it should ship by the end of the month. He was very responsive to my text, and said they’re swamped. That’s good.
Sponsored