m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Hello everyone!

My uncle and I are planning an all boys trip sometime in June, driving our JL and JT from NorCal to Colorado. We're thinking about going to one or couple of the badge of honor trails. We've never been there, so do you think we need a guide to help us through it, like Black Bear Pass? Or it's doable if we go ourselves? And should we just do one, or like if you do this one might as well do that one? @Krondor and others expert advice requested please :) It'll be a week or so trip.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Absolutely recommend the Ouray trails. George @Blksmth would be the expert as he lives up there.

I'm absolutely going back for more.

I have not done Holy Cross, but most of the badge trails are right there in Ouray. The trails I go to are generally to trailheads and random wanderings. (Not as exciting) :blush:

Driving up Antero is fun, but not as scenic. The T-33 aircraft is a nice one too but nothing like the views you get in Ouray.

Blksmth

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Occupation
Artist/blacksmith
Absolutely recommend the Ouray trails. George @Blksmth would be the expert as he lives up there.

I'm absolutely going back for more.

I have not done Holy Cross, but most of the badge trails are right there in Ouray. The trails I go to are generally to trailheads and random wanderings. (Not as exciting) :blush:

Driving up Antero is fun, but not as scenic. The T-33 aircraft is a nice one too but nothing like the views you get in Ouray.
There are so many trails that connect Telluride, Ouray, Silverton and lake city. Might want to carve out 2 weeks, if possible

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I need more vacation time, but true true.

Sponsored

OP
OP
m3lover1

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are so many trails that connect Telluride, Ouray, Silverton and lake city. Might want to carve out 2 weeks, if possible
2 weeks is too long unfortunately. So would it be reasonable to say we can tackle those on our own?

Blksmth

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Occupation
Artist/blacksmith
2 weeks is too long unfortunately. So would it be reasonable to say we can tackle those on our own?
Sure
Black bear is directional, I have not wheeled myself. One of my favorites is Imogene pass, moderate with epic views

MtnJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon 2 door 6 speed
Most of the passes are closed mid June and Black Bear is unlikely to be open mid June period. Black Bear is not technically challenging, just scary because if you do go off, like a Jeep did last year, the carnage is massive. It is only one way for the last section into Telluride. You can just go do it, the tour companies take people over in full sized trucks, not that I find that advisable for those not familiar. Mid June should see the trails out of Silverton mostly open. California, Hurricane, Corkscrew is a great loop. Engineer will likely be open. I think a week is plenty of time to cover all of the Ouray area trails but the season doesn't start in earnest until July. Heck, I am still riding the snowmobile on 5-6 feet of snowpack. The dozers are out now working on the the trails though.

Sponsored

Cbacon

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
All of the trails are marked and easy to stay on. There will be people out there if you have questions. Funtreks.com is awesome. They have guide books that tell you everything about the trail. You can get the data card for Garmin GPS also. Will keep you on the trail.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have wheeled the badge trails in Colorado. You do not need a guide. Many of them are easy, but are rated so high as a mistake can be deadly. For instance, Black Bear Pass is not a hard trail. There is one off chamber section that can cause a roll over if you run a poor line, other that that, the actual driving is simple, but hey don't pay attention, snap a picture with out coming to a complete stop and you could be plunging to your death. Make sure you pay attention. Want to look around, STOP and look around. Then go back to driving, want to take a picture? STOP and take a picture. On Black Bear pass, a few inches, at times can be the difference between a great day or hey call your family, call your insurance or call the morgue. This is not to scare you, just to make sure you understand that a few inches one way or the other can have dire consequences.

You can run Black Bear pass and Imogene or Black Bear Pass and Ophir in one day. The Alpine looks with Engineer Pass out to Lake City with lunch back over Cinnamon Pass is also a full day. There are several different loops to run. All of the one are marked fairly well.

Holy Cross is a days drive from the Ouray area and if you go over that way, I would also suggest that you do The Webster Pass/ Red Cone Pass loop also.

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
The trails are well marked, as well as they can be very busy. Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew on Friday, August 28, 2020 i saw 2 different Jeep clubs with 20 per, plus 2 groups of side-by-sides with at least dozen vehicles.

Try not to be in a hurry, pull over let them go by and enjoy some beautiful scenery, and hopefully a little solitude.

OP
OP
m3lover1

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys for all the info! Much appreciated!
Sponsored