Sponsored

Stubby antenna

Little Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Hi there I’ve been thinking of replacing the steel whip antenna on my JLU Rubicon for one of those stubby antennas.
So will I sacrifice performance for looks and what should I be looking for when shopping for a stubby? Also are some brands better than others
Sponsored

Sgt Pickles

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
I bought the one on Amazon with the most reviews and best reviews. Definitely sacrifice some clarity but it’s pretty rare I use the radio. I use Apple Music most of the time.

OP
OP

Little Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I bought the one on Amazon with the most reviews and best reviews. Definitely sacrifice some clarity but it’s pretty rare I use the radio. I use Apple Music most of the time.
Yes I may listen to AM in HD occasionally but most of my listening is apple tunes and watching the antenna whip around at highway speeds is not to bothersome..but hey….I like the cool factor look

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The benefits of one stubby over another is quibbling over minutiae. Any benefit between one or another will be a drop in the bucket compared to the impact of the antenna being so short. It doesn't really matter which one you pick if they're all the same length.

Get a stubby for looks if you don't rely on AM/FM or are always very close to strong signal towers without mountains in the way. Outside of that you need the length for it to work. I ended up repeatedly dipping my antenna in Plasti-Dip to put a thick rubber coating on it without losing any reception.

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
CravenSpeed Stubby was completely worthless…no signal across FM/AM (and I rarely listen to FM). Rydonair 13 has been perfect.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
One of the first things I did on mine. Not sure what size it is, maybe 13-15"? Anyway I almost never use the AM/FM radio anyway but in town it still works fine. I just think it looks a lot nicer than that big gangly antenna whipping around :)

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
I’ve had the Antenna-X on a JK, reception was fine. If you strictly want looks and zero function get the CravenSpeed. I usually stream music so reception wasn’t necessary.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Rydonair from Amazon. No noticeable loss of reception.

Rydonair Antenna Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JK JKU JL JLU Rubicon Sahara (2007-2022) | 13 inches Flexible Rubber Antenna Replacement | Designed for Optimized FM/AM Reception https://a.co/03yAKvx
Sponsored