First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I search ed and didn't really see this exact question. It's been almost 20 years since I've off-roaded a Jeep. I bought my new JLU Rubi a couple of months ago and have been exploring offroad some and getting more familiar with it. I did some moderate level stuff this Sunday, in terms of mud, up and down steep rutted hills and some forest service roads. After I was done for the day, we started to head home. Once I got on the pavement, I noticed my alignment was off quite a bit. I need to put the top of the steering wheel around the 9:30 mark to drive straight.

My question is, is it very common to knock alignment out when offroading?
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I search ed and didn't really see this exact question. It's been almost 20 years since I've off-roaded a Jeep. I bought my new JLU Rubi a couple of months ago and have been exploring offroad some and getting more familiar with it. I did some moderate level stuff this Sunday, in terms of mud, up and down steep rutted hills and some forest service roads. After I was done for the day, we started to head home. Once I got on the pavement, I noticed my alignment was off quite a bit. I need to put the top of the steering wheel around the 9:30 mark to drive straight.

My question is, is it very common to knock alignment out when offroading?
No

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase

watch this.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You may have driven on what you consider "MODERATE" trails, but

You've obviously bent your tie-rod/draglink and from what I've read, the tie-rod, or draglink are hollow tubing, so you're gonna have to checkitout--

If the draglink is bent, or the adj sleeve is loose, you can adjust that sleeve/retighten and drive away, but

It either the draglink/tie-rod are actually bent, they'll have to be replaced--

Those are the common YJ/TJ/JK damaged units that cause the steering wheel to "SHIFT", but

There may be pitman arm/steering box problems that you may have to have the 'ol girl checked--

Good luck

JIMBO

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
If it's not the intermediate shaft, you bent the track bar. It's common on lifted JKs, infact I did it to mine. Easy way to tell is see if the axle is off center, AKA if one tire is sticking farther outside the fender when compared to the other. If both are centered on the fenders, you have potentionaly a bigger issue at hand.
Sponsored