Steel Wheels?

MarcoPaese

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited
I’m shopping for new wheels for my 2020 JL and I’m looking at steel wheels. Mainly because I prefer the look and they’re hub centric which I prefer as well. Does anyone know if new steel wheels do a decent job of resisting rust?
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I’m shopping for new wheels for my 2020 JL and I’m looking at steel wheels. Mainly because I prefer the look and they’re hub centric which I prefer as well. Does anyone know if new steel wheels do a decent job of resisting rust?
steel wheels all the way

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Steel wheels look cool, are inexpensive and lightweight. However, they tend to rust quicker if you frequently go off road.
cheap to replace and on real A/T vehicle steel of any shape looks natural

SilverII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
TFL did a gladiator build with steel wheels. Maybe they will provide an update after their series on how that went

Sponsored

mkunkel20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 JKU Sahara
Running steel wheels here. Procomp Series 51. Love how they look and love breaking the expectation people have of seeing the JL with 4k in wheels from Fuel on it. When I called around to local shops they insulted me when I told them I wanted steel wheels for my 18 JLU "You have a brand new Jeep not a 1987 Ford Bronco!".
Jeep Wrangler JL Steel Wheels? 20200521_113334

OP
OP

MarcoPaese

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited
Running steel wheels here. Procomp Series 51. Love how they look and love breaking the expectation people have of seeing the JL with 4k in wheels from Fuel on it. When I called around to local shops they insulted me when I told them I wanted steel wheels for my 18 JLU "You have a brand new Jeep not a 1987 Ford Bronco!".
How long have you had them? How are they holding up to rust? I had a set of rock rails on my last jeep and they rusted the first winter. Hoping the wheels are better at rust resistance

mkunkel20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long have you had them? How are they holding up to rust? I had a set of rock rails on my last jeep and they rusted the first winter. Hoping the wheels are better at rust resistance
These I've only had for 6 weeks. I had the same wheels on a YJ I had for years and they never rusted.

OP
OP

MarcoPaese

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited
These I've only had for 6 weeks. I had the same wheels on a YJ I had for years and they never rusted.
They look good. I was looking at either Pro Comp or Rugged Ridge

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Steel wheels look cool, are inexpensive and lightweight. However, they tend to rust quicker if you frequently go off road.
You may describe them as ‘lightweight’ but a steel wheel is definitely heavier than an alloy one!

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
You may describe them as ‘lightweight’ but a steel wheel is definitely heavier than an alloy one!
The steelies on the YJ were embarrassingly light. The ones on my TJ had rusted and were 29 (?) pounds each wheel. My last set of aluminum wheels were 45 pounds each. To be fair, they were different sizes.

mkunkel20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The steelies on the YJ were embarrassingly light. The ones on my TJ had rusted and were 29 (?) pounds each wheel. My last set of aluminum wheels were 45 pounds each. To be fair, they were different sizes.
Ya my YJ wheels were 15" vs these at 17" so quite a bit heavier. No difference in MPG for me though.