Splicing additional lights into the fog lights

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I’m adding two additional light pods and i was wondering if it’s possible to splice into the factory fog light harness so that these turn on at the same time when i turn the fog light on? I’m not experienced with automotive electrical components so i was wondering if anyone has done this before or if it’s even possible.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
As with most things electrical (I'm a EE), it depends.
The factory wiring's uses relatively small wiring.

My $0.015 worth, have the factory wiring trigger a relay. For the loads to/from the new lights, use from a new wire from the battery using a fuse (Maybe 12 awg). If you have a winch up in the front already, then tap off the hot leg with a fused wire that will power the lights.

Of course you can use the aux switches

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@EB12

IF you tap into your fog lights and draw even just a few watts, you will see CanBus throwing a pissy fit.. With that said, I do suggest you get your 12v power elsewhere.

Do you had Aux switches? Are your pods wired whereas they have a switch as part of the harness they share?

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
@EB12

IF you tap into your fog lights and draw even just a few watts, you will see CanBus throwing a pissy fit.. With that said, I do suggest you get your 12v power elsewhere.

Do you had Aux switches? Are your pods wired whereas they have a switch as part of the harness they share?
No i dont have AUX switches and i didnt want to buy a whole switch pod just for this one accessory as i dont plan on adding any additional lights or accessories. I may just purchase a wire harness kit with a built in fuse and run it to the battery but the issue im having is where to sneak in a single switch or button on the dash for them.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
No i dont have AUX switches and i didnt want to buy a whole switch pod just for this one accessory as i dont plan on adding any additional lights or accessories. I may just purchase a wire harness kit with a built in fuse and run it to the battery but the issue im having is where to sneak in a single switch or button on the dash for them.
@EB12

You can easily pick up the power for your add on light.. I'd just do a fuse tap in the power distribution center (PDC) for 12v power.

You can easily place a toggle switch for the light.... you could put the switch on the plastic panel just below the steering wheel. You could place it where it would be reachable but not an eyesore.

You can also pick up the 12v inside the cab and not deal with the battery or fuse tap. You would pick up 12v, set-up a switch and then run the wires easily through the grommet on the driver's side firewall where the clutch pedal would be, if you had a manual shift..

Consider going with LED lights versus Halogen which have more amp draw..

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
@EB12

You can easily pick up the power for your add on light.. I'd just do a fuse tap in the power distribution center (PDC) for 12v power.

You can easily place a toggle switch for the light.... you could put the switch on the plastic panel just below the steering wheel. You could place it where it would be reachable but not an eyesore.

You can also pick up the 12v inside the cab and not deal with the battery or fuse tap. You would pick up 12v, set-up a switch and then run the wires easily through the grommet on the driver's side firewall where the clutch pedal would be, if you had a manual shift..

Consider going with LED lights versus Halogen which have more amp draw..
Thanks for the info! Now just to pic k out a switch lol
Sponsored