spare wheel

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Tire delete is not smart. My TJR on 33's has a 31 spare. My JLR on 38's has a 33" spare. My LJR on 43's has a donut spare, a Nitto 42x13.5R20 on non-beadlock. It's the biggest spare that will fit in my spare carrier. My JLR has beadlocks and factory wheel/tire for a donut spare. My 43" Trep stickies are on 17" beadlocks. If I get a flat, the young guys will be changing the tire. Even when I got a flat on 38's, I had the young guys change it for me. In my garage using a square shovel to lift the tire I can easily change it.,

I wheel with a bunch of spare delete's and it's a PITA loaning them a spare.
My experience is limited, but in all our runs in Washington I’ve only seen 1 spare needed. It was after a roll and it was only because a bead popped. We could have cleaned it out and remounted the existing one.
Our club has only had 1 other loss while I wasn’t around in almost 3 years and it was on a much older rig with already sketchy tires.
If 5 quality tires on 5 quality wheels aren’t an option I’d 100% recommend 4 excellent tires/beadlocks over any 4-and-1 mix if it comprises anything.
I guess an odd spare might be better than no spare if it doesn’t compromise one of the 4 on the road. I just initially assumed if we’re splitting hairs over a spare rim we’re probably considering tires below top tier.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
My experience is limited, but in all our runs in Washington I’ve only seen 1 spare needed. It was after a roll and it was only because a bead popped. We could have cleaned it out and remounted the existing one.
Our club has only had 1 other loss while I wasn’t around in almost 3 years and it was on a much older rig with already sketchy tires.
If 5 quality tires on 5 quality wheels aren’t an option I’d 100% recommend 4 excellent tires/beadlocks over any 4-and-1 mix if it comprises anything.
I guess an odd spare might be better than no spare if it doesn’t compromise one of the 4 on the road. I just initially assumed if we’re splitting hairs over a spare rim we’re probably considering tires below top tier.
I agree with that. Matching is usually better. Saving a few pennies on a mismatched wheel doesn't seem like a great strategy. But I can barely lift the 42" nitto with the lightest non-beadlock wheel. I don't want to carry a full size spare on the other rigs. Having a spare is a huge improvement over our EV Leaf. No spare and when I cut a 2" gash in the sidewall I was shocked when fix a flat sealed it enough to limp home a few miles.

I need to finish my u-tube on reseating beads with starting fluid. The 2nd time I blew a bead on the JLR I got beadlocks. The first time I thought I broke the bead, we couldn't reseat it. Turns out I broke the wheel. I had a couple flats on the stock C rated KO2's from sidewall abrasion. Got ride of them for 295/70R17 E rated K02's which I put on my TJR. When the LJR goes to the dealer, I do a massive tire swap.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I agree with that. Matching is usually better. Saving a few pennies on a mismatched wheel doesn't seem like a great strategy. But I can barely lift the 42" nitto with the lightest non-beadlock wheel. I don't want to carry a full size spare on the other rigs. Having a spare is a huge improvement over our EV Leaf. No spare and when I cut a 2" gash in the sidewall I was shocked when fix a flat sealed it enough to limp home a few miles.

I need to finish my u-tube on reseating beads with starting fluid. The 2nd time I blew a bead on the JLR I got beadlocks. The first time I thought I broke the bead, we couldn't reseat it. Turns out I broke the wheel. I had a couple flats on the stock C rated KO2's from sidewall abrasion. Got ride of them for 295/70R17 E rated K02's which I put on my TJR. When the LJR goes to the dealer, I do a massive tire swap.
The Leaf has pretty weak tires (relative to offroad tires). Any M/T should handle a lot of abuse before it fails like that.
That’s quite the fix-a-flat success though!

Reactions: J0E

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Incorrect. You do not get more life out of a tire. You simply put more miles on your vehicle before you have to buy 5 new tires instead of 4 new tires,
I spare that only ever gets used as a spare, due to 4 tire rotations, will inevitably need to be replaced from dry rot. A 5 tire rotation will get the most use out of the money spent on that spare.

A default benefit of 5 tire rotations, is that the spare will always be of a known condition when its in need, because it only sits idle for 5k miles at a time. Nothings worse than finally needing the spare, just to have a blow out further down the road due to dry rot, or to lower the jack on the side of the road and realize there's no longer enough pressure in that otherwise ignored spare.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
just a general question...when purchasing after market wheels and tires, do you go with a 5th rim to match the other 4 or just a generic rim that's the same size as the 4, (same size tire of course) to keep the cost down. just curious what people do. Thanks agin
I'm very much a proponent of buying a matching spare and using it in the tire rotation.
Sponsored