JLU Wheel upgrade - spare tire mount

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Upgrading my 2020 JLU Sahara in a few weeks. Adding the Rubicon mo-par suspension plus shocks and replacing stock JLUS wheels with stock Rubicon 33x17s. Q: will the JLUS spare carrier take this wheel? Or am I going to need to change that out as well? Im trying to make sure i have what i need before hand.
Sponsored

Reaper

First Name
Andy Powell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl rubicon
Spare tire carrier is mostly plastic. It really depends on the overall weight of the wheel and tire combo. I myself opted to change it out for the teraflex kit because I am running a beadlocks k and heavy tire combo on the tailgate. But according to jeep engineers the tailgate is rated for 80 pounds over the stock wheel and tire weight.

OP
OP
WiseguyDS

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thx
Spare tire carrier is mostly plastic. It really depends on the overall weight of the wheel and tire combo. I myself opted to change it out for the teraflex kit because I am running a beadlocks k and heavy tire combo on the tailgate. But according to jeep engineers the tailgate is rated for 80 pounds over the stock wheel and tire weight.
Thanks. This helps. Definitely plan on doing the rear bumper and tire carrier but it will be nice to use what i have for now until i can think about whats coming next.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Upgrading my 2020 JLU Sahara in a few weeks. Adding the Rubicon mo-par suspension plus shocks and replacing stock JLUS wheels with stock Rubicon 33x17s. Q: will the JLUS spare carrier take this wheel? Or am I going to need to change that out as well? Im trying to make sure i have what i need before hand.
The Rubicons stock spare carrier is a bit larger than the one on the Sahara and Sport models. It's too accommodate the wider tire on the Rubi. You'll probably find the rubber tailgate bumpers to be fully crushed, after tightening the Rubi takeoff to the Sahara carrier.

If you're not planning for a hinged carrier down the road, I'd have to 2nd the recommendation of the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It offers adjustability for both height off the bumper and for different wheel offsets to maintain tire to tailgate rubber bumper contact for support.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
It's the same carrier, you're fine to leave it stock.
Unless FCA is using all Rubicon carriers on all models now, it’s not the same carrier. There’s a thread on this. The rubicon carrier is a centimeter or two taller from base to camera tip. That said, a stock Rubicon wheel and tire will fit on a Sahara carrier. This size difference is why a Rubicon tire on a Sport or Sahara mount compresses the bump stops. The Rubicon carrier alleviates that bump stop compression for a wider tire. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oem-spare-tire-carrier-2-different-part-s.38640/

Last edited:

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I picked up a Rubicon spare mount for my Sahara. A lot of people sell them on here when they upgrade. I have JT Rubicon wheels with factory Falkens on them on my Sahara. Had to find a single JT wheel to make five for the JL since JTs only have four and a black steel spare.
Sponsored