Solved: Clunk in front end when sway bar connected

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Ok folks Im hunting my first suspension issue that Ive narrowed down a bit. When going into a small hole or over a small bump at low speeds Im getting a clunk in what sounds like the front drivers side. If I disconnect the sway bar it goes away. I say low speeds because I cant hear it on the freeway but thats not to say it isnt happening.

Ive re-torqued my track bar and control arms just to make sure and they were torqued properly. The tie rod and drag link have no side to side movement but they do turn very slightly.

This started the day I got fluid film sprayed so I call the shop and they say they didnt take so much as a wheel off.

I am not a mechanic by any means so please, speak to me like an idiot and if you have pictures that will help, by all means post them. I have an appointment with a mechanic Wednesday but I would like to fix this myself if possible. He will be changing my ball joints though.

Edit: Btw, Mopar lift which was retorqued about 3,000 miles ago. Teraflex trackbars also.
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If you still have the plastic fender liners, then the sway bar links can snag on bumps and cause a click/clunk, etc.

Otherwise, I would park on level ground and watch your front end as you lift the drivers side with a jack.

Worst case scenario is to just leave the sway bar disconnected or replace it with a anti-rock :like:

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Right after I posted I decided to go over the quick disconnects for my sway bar. The drivers side pin was very loose. Torqued it back down, reconnected the sway bar and it seems to have solved it.

I feel kind of dumb but not as dumb as if I had to pay a mechanic to find it.

Last edited:

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Those are the best kinds!

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Right after I posted I decided to go over the quick disconnects for my sway bar. The drivers side pin was very loose. Torqued it back down, reconnected the sway bar and it seems to have solved it.

I feel kind of dumb but not as dumb as if I had to pay a mechanic to find it.
Don't feel bad- I was hearing the same little clunk on my Sport. I was planning on re-torquing everything under the front end, until I had an unscheduled off-road trip. Sure enough when I got to the driver side quick disconnect, the pin was obviously loose. No clunk while disconnected off-road. I'm running the TeraFlex quick-disconnects. This weekend I'll be installing Rusty's link ends- which are adjustable for length and also have a more vertical orientation when installed.

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Don't feel bad- I was hearing the same little clunk on my Sport. I was planning on re-torquing everything under the front end, until I had an unscheduled off-road trip. Sure enough when I got to the driver side quick disconnect, the pin was obviously loose. No clunk while disconnected off-road. I'm running the TeraFlex quick-disconnects. This weekend I'll be installing Rusty's link ends- which are adjustable for length and also have a more vertical orientation when installed.
Mine are also the Teraflex QD’s. Wonder if this is a common issue with them. I was thinking if going to the AutoLynx.
Sponsored