Soft top vs hard top

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I can't speak about noise levels in a hard top, but I was surprised when I got mine (premium sof top, for reference) because I thought it would be louder. My previous vehicle was a MINI Countryman with a roof rack I kept on permanently, and the Jeep is definitely no louder than that was.

That said, I live in South Florida, and when it rains hard—that phone call is over until the rain stops.
Also in south florida, phone calls when it’s pouring are useless either way in my hardtop.
Comparing my dads JT with vinyl soft top tho, it’s not too loud to be honest. You just hear the outside world a little more.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have the premium soft top...I would say it's surprisingly quiet.
Especially compared to the YJ tops of old.
Just did a long trip last week with my wife at highway speeds, not a bother at all. Add the ease of folding it back and it's no brainer.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
i have both hard and premium soft top. i love both but if i had to choose one, it’d easily be the soft as it’s so easy to put down. can be done in just a couple on minutes or flip back to sun rider in seconds. if i lived in florida, it’d be the soft top for sure.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I traded my hardtop for my softtop and will never look back! It just makes too much sense to have the softtop now as they are more quiet and insulated than they used to be, easier to use, you even get more head room! No more zippers, no more stupid bar across the back that stays there even when the tailgate is open and window is out, making loading the rear so much more easy! And best part, and I mean it, NO MORE FLAPPING!!!!
Sponsored