Snow tyres

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I'm about to take delivery of my new JL Sahara on Tuesday and living in a French ski resort we have quite a bit of snow to deal with. I'm even more focussed on this subject after my soon to be departing X5 slid off the road today going down a hill at about 3mph in about a foot of fresh snow...and I really don't want to do that in my new Wrangler....

Anyway, the standard tyres it will come with are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 255/70 R18 M&S 685. Bridgestone describes these as an all season tyre but has anyone any experience of these in snow?

Are there any other suggestions for good snow tyres which will still give a good ride and minimal road noise?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Gypsyking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Hello Stewart,

I live in Calgary, Alberta where the peak winter temperatures can sometimes hit -35C so I know a thing or two about winter tires.

The kind of geography & weather that you live close to dictate that you go for a dedicated winter tire. I would also suggest that you also explore the option of a studded winter tire (in case these are road legal in your jurisdiction) such as Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9.

I don’t own a Jeep yet (plan to get one, my first, in Summer this year) however I have been using Michelin X ICE XI-2 on my SUV (245/60R18). My wife uses Goodyear Blizzak DM-V 2 (235/60R18) on her SUV. These are dedicated winter tires on a separate set of dedicated wheels that we use from November to April end every year.

Both these vehicles have been driven in up to 10 inches of snow in -23/25C without any issues. During the course of my work, I have had to drive in inclement weather in up to -25C and had no issues.

The problem with the tire size that you require (255/70R18) is that there are very few options available.

My suggestion would be as under (not necessarily in order of preference):

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9

Michelin X ICE XI-3

Goodyear DM V-2

Falken Wildpeak AT-3W

Hankook iPike RW-11

There may be other brands available in your market that you will have to explore.

Good luck & drive safe!

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
You should definitely get a set of dedicated snow tires.

I'm using the BFG A/T KO2's and while they're not a "dedicated" snow tire, they're marked as being snow rated.

Let's just say that I've encountered several instances where I nearly stained the premium cloth seats on my Rubicon because it doesn't take much to make it slide. Even doing 30~40k/h on a snowy curb can have me going sideways.

Mind you, I just recently aired my tires down so I'm hoping that'll make a difference.

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hello Stewart,

I live in Calgary, Alberta where the peak winter temperatures can sometimes hit -35C so I know a thing or two about winter tires.

The kind of geography & weather that you live close to dictate that you go for a dedicated winter tire. I would also suggest that you also explore the option of a studded winter tire (in case these are road legal in your jurisdiction) such as Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9.

I don’t own a Jeep yet (plan to get one, my first, in Summer this year) however I have been using Michelin X ICE XI-2 on my SUV (245/60R18). My wife uses Goodyear Blizzak DM-V 2 (235/60R18) on her SUV. These are dedicated winter tires on a separate set of dedicated wheels that we use from November to April end every year.

Both these vehicles have been driven in up to 10 inches of snow in -23/25C without any issues. During the course of my work, I have had to drive in inclement weather in up to -25C and had no issues.

The problem with the tire size that you require (255/70R18) is that there are very few options available.

My suggestion would be as under (not necessarily in order of preference):

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9

Michelin X ICE XI-3

Goodyear DM V-2

Falken Wildpeak AT-3W

Hankook iPike RW-11

There may be other brands available in your market that you will have to explore.

Good luck & drive safe!
Thanks, that's really helpful

Iceman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
You should definitely get a set of dedicated snow tires.

I'm using the BFG A/T KO2's and while they're not a "dedicated" snow tire, they're marked as being snow rated.

Let's just say that I've encountered several instances where I nearly stained the premium cloth seats on my Rubicon because it doesn't take much to make it slide. Even doing 30~40k/h on a snowy curb can have me going sideways.

Mind you, I just recently aired my tires down so I'm hoping that'll make a difference.
I live in Alaska and run BFG A/T KO2’s.... work great even on ice!

Sponsored

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Alaska and run BFG A/T KO2’s.... work great even on ice!
Same here. I also have the Falkens on a Grand Cherokee, and they do surprisingly well, too. On snow, both sets hold very well. Ice...well, nothing really holds you on ice. I will say I’ve made it through a -50 winter on the Falkens and am halfway through a -40 winter. Solid tires are definitely called for, but slowing down is the best way to stay in control.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Same here. I also have the Falkens on a Grand Cherokee, and they do surprisingly well, too. On snow, both sets hold very well. Ice...well, nothing really holds you on ice. I will say I’ve made it through a -50 winter on the Falkens and am halfway through a -40 winter. Solid tires are definitely called for, but slowing down is the best way to stay in control.
Agreed, i have no idea what these people are talking about. Especially when you consider what airing down on 35’s or 37’s does to the contact patch. And the the idiocy of swapping in snow tires that are literally 31” tires max when if you wheel whats the point in that. Now maybe stock Sahara tires suck in snow id agree with that. But air down stock 33” ko2 to 26 and youre good.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
My suggestion is to find the narrowest winter tire that fits your rims, and preferably have studded tires (if they are legal of course). The narrow tires help dig down to find the pavement instead of floating on top of the snow. Digging down is best for on-road. Floating is best for off-road.

JP18

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

I’ve always run a high performing winter tire. They will easily out perform any all season are AT in every regard. Apples to oranges.

F1F4A8C8-BD66-4C40-B136-06CFA91F157F.jpeg

146B62AB-7C14-4761-BCA9-63FB8AA11A5F.jpeg

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Agreed, i have no idea what these people are talking about. Especially when you consider what airing down on 35’s or 37’s does to the contact patch. And the the idiocy of swapping in snow tires that are literally 31” tires max when if you wheel whats the point in that. Now maybe stock Sahara tires suck in snow id agree with that. But air down stock 33” ko2 to 26 and youre good.
A high performing winter tire will easily beat any AT or all season in every measure. Hands down.

Sponsored

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
I'm about to take delivery of my new JL Sahara on Tuesday and living in a French ski resort we have quite a bit of snow to deal with. I'm even more focussed on this subject after my soon to be departing X5 slid off the road today going down a hill at about 3mph in about a foot of fresh snow...and I really don't want to do that in my new Wrangler....

Anyway, the standard tyres it will come with are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 255/70 R18 M&S 685. Bridgestone describes these as an all season tyre but has anyone any experience of these in snow?

Are there any other suggestions for good snow tyres which will still give a good ride and minimal road noise?

Thanks.
The stock tires are junk in the snow. I’d recommend DM-V2, Hakka’s, or Icex-2.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
A high performing winter tire will easily beat any AT or all season in every measure. Hands down.
On what a snow driven street for 4 months out of the year?

Question: whats the largest snow tire they make?

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I would agree if ip was driving a audi, volvo , or subaru.
Hey ya know what forget it, its obvious you and op will never take yr jeeps off pavement so...

And for the record yea i love pearl jam also...

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
On what a snow driven street for 4 months out of the year?

Question: whats the largest snow tire they make?
Not sure about the largest size nor do I see how size has anything to do with the information that the poster here is looking for. But mine are just under 33 inches.

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
I would agree if ip was driving a audi, volvo , or subaru.
Hey ya know what forget it, its obvious you and op will never take yr jeeps off pavement so...

And for the record yea i love pearl jam also...
Again, the op isn’t asking about snow wheeling. Try and focus on the question at hand. Smh.
Sponsored