OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@entropy couldn't resist, just unboxed the winch to check it out.

The "armour" is plastic!
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Gen 3 winch question. 20211006_214421

Question: do you remember if your drum had some weird sort of scratches spiraling around it? Maybe across 60%
Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Gen 3 winch question. 20211006_214800

Jeep Wrangler JL Smittybilt Gen 3 winch question. 20211006_215434
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Well, even a thick plastic can help dissipate impact and abrasion from damaging a cast aluminum chassis. That wouldnā€™t bother me much.

ā€˜As for the scratches, they may have used a steel cable to function test it at the factory. I vaguely remember similar marks on the drum of my X2O the last time I had the rope off, though not that bad.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Well, even a thick plastic can help dissipate impact and abrasion from damaging a cast aluminum chassis. That wouldnā€™t bother me much.

ā€˜As for the scratches, they may have used a steel cable to function test it at the factory. I vaguely remember similar marks on the drum of my X2O the last time I had the rope off, though not that bad.
I didn't mean to belittle the plastic, I was just surprised it wasn't aluminum. Might leave the motor-side off for heat dissapation. Also, maybe, I just wanted an excuse to post pics of the new winch.

After thinking about for a bit, I agree with your assessment of a steel cable used to test at factory.

Looks exactly like 3 lazy wraps of cable, with a small load-test making the heaviest gouges at the end.

I felt the gouges, and they don't seem sharp enough to hurt a synthetic line, so I'm good to go for a test tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
@entropy couldn't resist, just unboxed the winch to check it out.

The "armour" is plastic!
20211006_214421.jpg

Question: do you remember if your drum had some weird sort of scratches spiraling around it? Maybe across 60%
20211006_214800.jpg

20211006_215434.jpg
They all have those scratches i have no idea what that is. I thought it was damaged, i use a dremel to smooth it and painted it with rust oleum. Probably shouldve left it alone

It took me 10 minutes to smooth out and paint.

The armor is for aesthetics.

I wired mine straight to the battery as per instructions manual. It is a great winch youre gonna like it.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
They all have those scratches i have no idea what that is. I thought it was damaged, i use a dremel to smooth it and painted it with rust oleum. Probably shouldve left it alone

I thought about smoothing it too, but they seem dull enough. I'll rub the synthetic line over them when I install, to see if it catches on the deeper ones.

@Fuel Fire Desire suggested above that they are marks from a steel cable used to test at factory.

I agree with the assessment. It looks exactly like 2-3 wraps and a short pull. So much for minimum number of wraps! Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored