Small Pods As Reverse Lights

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I love the backup camera on my Wrangler but like many, it's essentially useless at night in an area that isn't well lit. The idea I had was to mount two small, single bulb LED pod lights on the ends of the bumper and then plug them into the trailer wiring so that they come on with the main reverse lights, and only then. I figure this will provide enough light for the backup cam to see at night. I also go back country camping in places where backing off of the road has instant deadly consequences, so there's that, too. Not to mention, it will just generally make me easier to see when I'm backing up, reducing the chances of getting hit in a parking lot or worse, running over someone.

The two I'm looking at:

Baja Designs S1 with diffused work/scene lens: 4750 lumens total for two lights. $208 for a pair.

Rigid Radiance Scene Lights: 5940 lumens total for two lights. $263 for a pair, though I found them on Amazon for $220.

What say you? Down side?
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I love the backup camera on my Wrangler but like many, it's essentially useless at night in an area that isn't well lit. The idea I had was to mount two small, single bulb LED pod lights on the ends of the bumper and then plug them into the trailer wiring so that they come on with the main reverse lights, and only then. I figure this will provide enough light for the backup cam to see at night. I also go back country camping in places where backing off of the road has instant deadly consequences, so there's that, too. Not to mention, it will just generally make me easier to see when I'm backing up, reducing the chances of getting hit in a parking lot or worse, running over someone.

The two I'm looking at:

Baja Designs S1 with diffused work/scene lens: 4750 lumens total for two lights. $208 for a pair.

Rigid Radiance Scene Lights: 5940 lumens total for two lights. $263 for a pair, though I found them on Amazon for $220.

What say you? Down side?
I just did a spare tire delete and mounted two S1 scenes. Got light now1
46AB0D6E-F440-4553-977C-AC07ACC01648.jpeg

no downside - do it

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The thread that @melman8r linked to is full of good information. If you plan on replacing your rear bumper, some of the rear bumpers can support standalone, bright leds that can be turned ON either via a toggle switch at will or they can be tied into the same wiring as the reverse lights.

Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

theres no downside to deleting your spare?
I keep it in the back if I go on a trip. I. Have a JK as a recovery vehicle if I need it

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I just did a spare tire delete and mounted two S1 scenes. Got light now1
46AB0D6E-F440-4553-977C-AC07ACC01648.jpeg

no downside - do it
Looks nice, man. Did you wire them to the reverse light circuit or to a separate switch?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This mod is popular on all the vehicle forums for trucks 4x4s. Just be considerate of drivers coming from behind. 4000- 5000 lumens is a lot of light just to see 20-30 feet behind you, more than most headlights. Scene lighting for camping or off-road terrain illumination is a different animal and would be better controlled by an auxilliary switch.

For backup camera illumination think about a single SAE or fog beam that's aimed so it doesn't blind any oncoming vehicles.

Sponsored

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
This mod is popular on all the vehicle forums for trucks 4x4s. Just be considerate of drivers coming from behind. 4000- 5000 lumens is a lot of light just to see 20-30 feet behind you, more than most headlights. Scene lighting for camping or off-road terrain illumination is a different animal and would be better controlled by an auxilliary switch.

For backup camera illumination think about a single SAE or fog beam that's aimed so it doesn't blind any oncoming vehicles.
Good point! I’m deciding if I should go with two S1 mainly for backup use. They are not DOT approved, but I do like the look compared to S2. I’ll wire to Aux switches so I guess I’ll be fine as long as I don’t keep them turned on during driving. Really wish there are some SAE versions of the S1.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
@Fast-n-Furious way too much light, and expense. A single Roadshock flood light is more than enough light, at $27: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-led-flood-light-57190.html

This one will work well too, at $20: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-led-flood-light-64322.html
Thanks! I have several tools from HF, their tools serve well for my purposes, haven't looked into their LED lights. Yea, a pair of S1 lights with wires/connectors can go up $300 easily.
Sponsored