Sirius Radio Dropping

dowdy85

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My Wrangler Sirius satellite reception disappears anytime I drive by a large tree or object. I know it's because it's losing reception, but my other vehicles don't have this problem. Is this due to lack of buffering in the head unit or because of a bad antenna or bad antenna location. Came stock. Anyone else have similar issues?
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
The antenna location is not optimal but it is what it is unless you want to do a relocation. Do you have any type of top rack on the Jeep? I got rid of my top rack for this reason. OK, also cause it wouldn't fit in the garage after I lifted it and put on 35s. Sirius dropping decreased after the rack was gone.

OP
OP

dowdy85

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have empty snowboard rack on roof. Didnt think the antenna was located there, but after further research I see it's on the cross bar. I initially thought it was near the standard antenna on passenger side.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
I have the SOT top, with a Hotheads headliner. Sirius reception can be a bit spotty even on a good day, but gets bad when I have the SOT open halfway. I'd imagine the bunching up of the fabric top plus headliner just blocks too much of the sirius antenna on the crossbar. I might start relying more on CarPlay.

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
I have the SOT top, with a Hotheads headliner. Sirius reception can be a bit spotty even on a good day, but gets bad when I have the SOT open halfway. I'd imagine the bunching up of the fabric top plus headliner just blocks too much of the sirius antenna on the crossbar. I might start relying more on CarPlay.
When your SOT is open half way, you're getting interference with the layer of Radiant Barrier that we include in all of our tops as it's sitting right over the antenna in the cross bar. This isn't an issue when the top is fully open (it's away from the antenna) or closed (we do a cut out so it's not over the antenna). If you have any other questions, please email us at [email protected]

-Mark

Sponsored

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
When your SOT is open half way, you're getting interference with the layer of Radiant Barrier that we include in all of our tops as it's sitting right over the antenna in the cross bar. This isn't an issue when the top is fully open (it's away from the antenna) or closed (we do a cut out so it's not over the antenna). If you have any other questions, please email us at [email protected]

-Mark
Thanks for the insight, Mark. That is exactly what I figured. Simple physics I suppose. Takes nothing away from the awesomeness of the SOT and skyliner combo, and just another Wrangler quirk to be cognizant of!

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Thanks for the insight, Mark. That is exactly what I figured. Simple physics I suppose. Takes nothing away from the awesomeness of the SOT and skyliner combo, and just another Wrangler quirk to be cognizant of!
You're welcome and I'm very glad to hear you're enjoying your Hothead Skyliner!
Sponsored