Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Were think about purchasing a
Side-by-Side. We’ve never owned one. Where we live we can get them licensed, as long as they have outside mirrors, rear view mirror and a horn which will allows us to drive it on public roads.

I’ve had two CanAmSpyders and never had any problems with so we were thinking of the going with them again. Then we looked at Honda, Polaris, and Arctic Cat.

Out of them all, I think Artic Cat is ruled out. Lot of things to decide on for sure. It has to have a full cab with solid doors, and a heater, something that will haul 5-6 people like the Honda 1000-5, Polaris Crew XP 1000 or the EPS NorthStar Edition and CanAm.

We have three mutts, so that’s why we need something that’s on the large side. With all that said, what do you guys think? There has to be a few of you out there that has had one brand or another. Let me know what you think about the one’s you’ve had and why you like one brand over the other.
Sponsored

Axlenut

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I currently have a Polaris ranger 900 with cab and heat. It ran pretty much flawless since I’ve got it. I also have a 2004 Polaris ranger which has never failed me in 15 years. The heat on my 900 works awesome. I drive the 900 on the road quite often. It cruises 50-60. I think it tops out at 60. I run it with tracks in the winter—- a lot of fun but pretty slow. Top speed is 30 with tracks. Both are 3 seaters, not 6 seaters though. Never driven a 6 seater.

I had a 2010 Yamaha rhino before I got the 900 Polaris. It took forever to warm up in the winter if it started at all. Neither of my Polaris have ever failed to start even at 30+ below. The 04 is carbureted and a 2015 900 is fuel injected

OP
OP
CanAmMick

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I currently have a Polaris ranger 900 with cab and heat. It ran pretty much flawless since I’ve got it. I also have a 2004 Polaris ranger which has never failed me in 15 years. The heat on my 900 works awesome. I drive the 900 on the road quite often. It cruises 50-60. I think it tops out at 60. I run it with tracks in the winter—- a lot of fun but pretty slow. Top speed is 30 with tracks. Both are 3 seaters, not 6 seaters though. Never driven a 6 seater.

I had a 2010 Yamaha rhino before I got the 900 Polaris. It took forever to warm up in the winter if it started at all. Neither of my Polaris have ever failed to start even at 30+ below. The 04 is carbureted and a 2015 900 is fuel injected
I really appreciate the info. The dealer near us has a used crew with a cab that we’re going to take a look at next week. Not sure if it’s got heat or not. I believe it’s a 2017 model.

Axlenut

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Heat is a must have for the cab, especially for defrost when full of people. It’s not Super cold, but it does frost up without it.

Check for diff leaks on the used unit. I have a friend that had a leaky diff on a 4 door and it was expensive to repair. I’ve never had that problem, but I don’t run mine hard. Mostly just around my farm and to the lake for fishing

OP
OP
CanAmMick

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just picked this one up, 2018 Ranger HVAC. Almost as big as the Jeep. Tuned with no speed limiter.

B4CB8008-E9D9-4014-AA1D-0AA9065A5DA6.jpeg

49D93F62-A47B-44C0-8F70-9022843AC2B6.jpeg

266BCA8D-632B-441F-808C-AF83E67EBF6F.jpeg

Sponsored

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel, 2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Dually
Occupation
Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Were think about purchasing a
Side-by-Side. We’ve never owned one. Where we live we can get them licensed, as long as they have outside mirrors, rear view mirror and a horn which will allows us to drive it on public roads.

I’ve had two CanAmSpyders and never had any problems with so we were thinking of the going with them again. Then we looked at Honda, Polaris, and Arctic Cat.

Out of them all, I think Artic Cat is ruled out. Lot of things to decide on for sure. It has to have a full cab with solid doors, and a heater, something that will haul 5-6 people like the Honda 1000-5, Polaris Crew XP 1000 or the EPS NorthStar Edition and CanAm.

We have three mutts, so that’s why we need something that’s on the large side. With all that said, what do you guys think? There has to be a few of you out there that has had one brand or another. Let me know what you think about the one’s you’ve had and why you like one brand over the other.
Love my Maverick X3 RR RC but use my Deere Gator with cab much more often. Dogs and passengers prefer it too

E07E4BA3-A958-4223-9A71-F65415E5FB71.jpeg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just sold my Can AM Maverick. Was a Great machine. I just don't understand why you would want a SXS for what you described as it would be used for. A 4dr Wrangler is about the same size, way cheaper to to maintain, better on the road, If you take the top and doors off it is open air just like the SxS, but without the hassles of making it road legal and will get about the same mpg. The jeep is even quieter, with a stereo, heat, air conditioning, windshield, bla bla bla bla.

Like I said, I have had a SxS for years and loved it, but by the time you buy a newer SxS, add the cab, windshield, make it street legal, you could buy an older 4dr wrangler for the same price.

Just price out the cost of some of the normal wear items on a SxS so you understand the maintenance cost that you will also run into.

Cost of a belt can be between 150 to 250 dollars, Wheel bearing, up to 70 bucks each, brake pads up to 79 dollars. The insurance will be about the same as a car, Hell the Can Am antifreeze was 10 dollars a quart. Maintenance for dollar per mile driven will be way higher.

With all that said, they are a blast to have.

There was about 20 of us that would ride together often. Most brands were represented. All of them seem to run fine with normal maintenance. Our normal run was a 130 mile loop by trail. None of the machines ever had any terrible failures. Belts here and there if you pushed them to hard to long. Most broken parts were driver error, but none of the machines ever left us stranded.

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel, 2018 Ram 3500 6.7 Dually
Occupation
Professor
Vehicle Showcase
I just sold my Can AM Maverick. Was a Great machine. I just don't understand why you would want a SXS for what you described as it would be used for. A 4dr Wrangler is about the same size, way cheaper to to maintain, better on the road, If you take the top and doors off it is open air just like the SxS, but without the hassles of making it road legal and will get about the same mpg. The jeep is even quieter, with a stereo, heat, air conditioning, windshield, bla bla bla bla.

Like I said, I have had a SxS for years and loved it, but by the time you buy a newer SxS, add the cab, windshield, make it street legal, you could buy an older 4dr wrangler for the same price.

Just price out the cost of some of the normal wear items on a SxS so you understand the maintenance cost that you will also run into.

Cost of a belt can be between 150 to 250 dollars, Wheel bearing, up to 70 bucks each, brake pads up to 79 dollars. The insurance will be about the same as a car, Hell the Can Am antifreeze was 10 dollars a quart. Maintenance for dollar per mile driven will be way higher.

With all that said, they are a blast to have.

There was about 20 of us that would ride together often. Most brands were represented. All of them seem to run fine with normal maintenance. Our normal run was a 130 mile loop by trail. None of the machines ever had any terrible failures. Belts here and there if you pushed them to hard to long. Most broken parts were driver error, but none of the machines ever left us stranded.
All valid points but I hesitate to take my $60k+ Wrangler in places that I actively seek out in my X3 - rock piles, deep mud, narrow trails, etc. I have both so have the best of both worlds!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
All valid points but I hesitate to take my $60k+ Wrangler in places that I actively seek out in my X3 - rock piles, deep mud, narrow trails, etc. I have both so have the best of both worlds!
That is why you would buy a used older wrangler unlimited. The X3 is not what they are looking for, they are wanting a SxS to carry dogs and such. The X3 is a bad ass 90+ mph SxS.and has a whole different purpose. I would have a turbo sxs right now if my plans were a little different for the future.

Jeep Wrangler JL Side-by-Side {filename}

this ^^^^^ should not be mentioned is the same sentence as this...

Jeep Wrangler JL Side-by-Side {filename}

Hahaha you said narrow trails with a sxs......thats funny.
Sponsored