Seatbelt locking when off road

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When at an angle off road, sometimes you need to get out and check your line or surroundings. Once you get out, and get back in and attempt to seatbelt, if you’re at an incline or angled, the seatbelt is locked and you can’t buckle up again. It stays fully retracted and here you are on an obstacle or near one and you can’t buckle.

Any way around this?
Sponsored

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I had the same problem today. I was climbing the Kelly Flats Heart Attack hill and the seat belt locked and wouldn't let me lean forward in my seat to find the best line. I was by myself with no spotter and I couldn't move in my chair because the seat belt was locked. So I unbuckled, thinking that releasing the tension from the belt would let me pull it on again. No, I retracted the seat belt all the way and it was still locked. So, here I am climbing one of the most scary hills in CO, without a seat belt on. I couldn't put the belt back on until I climbed up to a more level ground.

Then, I was going down a real steep incline and I had to stop and get out of the Jeep to find the best line. When I got back to the Jeep the seat belt was locked and I couldn't put it back on! Not very smart Jeep engineers!!!

The only way around this that I can think of is to use a laundry clip to fix the seat belt at a given location before driving steep hills.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I had this same problem where I couldn’t lean forward to see. I put the torso part of the belt behind my back. No doors helps to see when you’re locked in too.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
You would think they would have added like an "I am offroad" button that helped with this and the TPMS, among other things.

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I've looked for the federal regulations for seat belts and this is what I found:

(D) For a retractor sensitive to vehicle acceleration, lock when tilted at any angle greater than 45 degrees from the angle at which it is installed in the vehicle or meet the requirements of S4.3(j)(2)(ii).

(E) For a retractor sensitive to vehicle acceleration, not lock when the retractor is rotated in any direction to any angle of 15 degrees or less from its orientation in the vehicle.

So if the seat belts lock at, say, 20 degrees, they meet the legal requirements but they are not required to lock until 45 degrees. I don't think these seat belts were designed for off road vehicles...

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I've looked for the federal regulations for seat belts and this is what I found:

(D) For a retractor sensitive to vehicle acceleration, lock when tilted at any angle greater than 45 degrees from the angle at which it is installed in the vehicle or meet the requirements of S4.3(j)(2)(ii).

(E) For a retractor sensitive to vehicle acceleration, not lock when the retractor is rotated in any direction to any angle of 15 degrees or less from its orientation in the vehicle.

So if the seat belts lock at, say, 20 degrees, they meet the legal requirements but they are not required to lock until 45 degrees. I don't think these seat belts were designed for off road vehicles...
i hate resurrecting threads. But anyone found a solution to this very annoying issue?

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
You're off road. They don't design or regulate seatbelts for that application.
Get a harness if it's going to be a problem. You can go just lap belt, or shoulder straps as well. You can mount it to the seat as-is and only use it while you're off road.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You're off road. They don't design or regulate seatbelts for that application.
Get a harness if it's going to be a problem. You can go just lap belt, or shoulder straps as well. You can mount it to the seat as-is and only use it while you're off road.
why didnt I think about this lol
Sponsored