Sponsored

Locking storage when roofless

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
My brother still has his ole CJ and his pitbull goes everywhere with him and stays in the jeep if we go into a store or something (the jeep actually belongs to the pitbull). So I am not sure what the modern options for locking internal storage are.

I guess a hardtop is best option, but eI am really toying with getting a softtop. Mostly wanna keep some small stuff, sunglasses, utility stuff like knife, etc

Out of the factory does the center console/glove box lock or maybe below rear for tools? I did not see much in reveal video so I am thinking there is something obvious everyone has now, that I am missing
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Centre console locks, as does glovebox.

They also mentioned new additional secure storage on Press day, but didn’t elaborate.

There are lots of 3rd parrty locking storage options for the JK, I’m sure there will also be many for the JL.

B15C0FAB-52B9-4D48-BF7E-964C72CF370F.jpeg

620D5449-8BDA-42FD-8AE7-75161AA0A439.jpeg

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Tuffy security products will have some solutions for the JL pretty quickly. I had the security enclosure in the back of my JKU and it was decent.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on getting and under seat one as well as a rear cargo lid. There are a number of vendors that make them for the JK. I expect most of them to release JL products as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
They lock - but aren't hard to pop open.
Ugg, good to know I was hoping the jl would have thought of that and made them stronger. That tuffy rear lock looks really handy.

Being smart with console is probably good enough

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have to assume Console Vault and/or Lock'Er Down will have something available shortly.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Tuffy trunk for my JK. It's pretty nice. I use that and a Bestop under seat box.

When I first bought my YJ I drove to school in Philly and locked the center console up and went to class. Fail.

The 'Insta-Trunk' works well too. For the 2 door rides.

You learn really quick to just not leave a lot of stuff in your Jeep. You really don't need to. Besides when it rains or when the wind blows around - things blow out or get wet. So just learn to keep your Jeep empty.

I'll tell my family - if it blows out of the Jeep, you didn't need it anyway.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
You learn really quick to just not leave a lot of stuff in your Jeep. You really don't need to. Besides when it rains or when the wind blows around - things blow out or get wet. So just learn to keep your Jeep empty.
I plan on keeping the jeep fairly empty, my console usually has basics like flashlight, knife, utility tool, crappy sunglasses, iphone charging cables, sun screen. The center console lock should be ok for that, if someone breaks it, oh well out 100 bucks tops.

the locking back looks perfect for a day trip, so I can lock stuff like a small cooler, a few packs,etc if we wanted to stop for lunch.
hopefully down with spare I can stick stuff like tow straps, maybe some better tools, etc, would be nice if that locked too.

In Oct we survived the big northern CA fires, had to evac in middle of night, suddenly having locking storage options was an important thing..
Keeping emergency supplies ready is now higher on my list (Anything you saw on TV does not capture the full horror of the sounds of your neighbors houses exploding, walls of smoke and fire, looters... was friggen crazy)

Last edited:

Sponsored

dgriffin1671

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Check out the www.diabolicalinc.com Slipstream. He hasn't completed the JL model yet, but I had it on my JK and loved it

dgriffin1671

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon