Sponsored

Rubicon lockers

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
So I am familiar with lockers as I have them on my current Rubicon, but my question is which scenario would I only want the rear lockers on and not both? Every time I feel I need them, I lock both in my current Jeep. Would it be for easier steering? (Less hop?)
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It's funny... of all the features included in the Rubicon I've used the least, it's the lockers. The 4:1 low range together with the sway bar disconnect typically are all I need to tackle the more serious terrain.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I use both, just for insurance, most of the time. However, if there is any turning involved, I'll typically go with just the rear, unless I absolutely feel the need for the both. The thing is a total beast even with just one locked, but the steering is so much easier.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Depends..........Lockers help you when you get a wheel that's off the ground. if you disco the sway bar it reduces that happening. Then if it happens and you can't move.......lock the rear (back up a little first if needed to get it to lock) then if you still need traction.....straighten the front wheels and lock the front. When you get past the obstacle or need to turn.....unlock the front. Then the back so you can turn easier. I never leave either locked all the time......just adds to wear and tear. Only time where I'd do it different is locking the rear before going thru a stretch of mud where I know i may need to keep momentum and not have to stop. Rocky off angle terrain I lock when needed only. i drove a Rubicon 12 years and only used the rear locker maybe 6 times and the front maybe twice for a total mileage measured in feet when locked. The first Rubicon's had rear LSD and Air locker.
The LSD is not really a big deal now as brake lock diff will do the job of a LSD with less issues and less maintenance, Which is why when BLD feature came about the LSD is not a big deal. BLD works well when you get the technique down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Reddoak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The only time I've gone rear only is rocky hill climbs where I need to steer and maneuver. Typically, most of the weight is on the rear, the front slides... it slides... But if one back tire loses traction, I'm not moving up the hill any more.

That in for line lock, traction control off sick burn outs in 2wd using the Tazer turn to all the joy killers off! (Kidding, I don't hate my tires that much)

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I first saw lockers in action 25 years ago at a Jeep Jamboree. Amazing difference on rough uphill.
(I do use R more often than F+R).
Sponsored